11. Artem Burmistrov RU (0,2,2,1,d) 5
12. Evgeniy Saidullin RU (2,1,1,0,1) 5
13. Eduard Krysov RU (2,d,1,1,0) 4
14. Vladimir Fadeev RU (0,1,1,0,1) 3
15. German Khanmurzin RU (0,0,0,1,1) 2
16. Igor Saidullin RU (1,0,N,N,N) 1
17. Elisey Vydrin RU (0,0) 0
18. Matvey Volkov RU (0) 0

Query question for those who are more informed than I.

What ever happened to ice speedway in Belarus? Prior to the millennium, there were a number of riders on the international scene, such as Oleg Khomich. Were these Russians riding under a license of convenience, or was there proper ice racing in Belarus?

3 minutes ago, moomin man 76 said:

Query question for those who are more informed than I.

What ever happened to ice speedway in Belarus? Prior to the millennium, there were a number of riders on the international scene, such as Oleg Khomich. Were these Russians riding under a license of convenience, or was there proper ice racing in Belarus?

Russians with a Belarus license, others had a Polish (the Ivanovs) or German (Nikulin) license. Afaik there was no ice racing in Belarus.

3 hours ago, Bavarian said:

Russians with a Belarus license, others had a Polish (the Ivanovs) or German (Nikulin) license. Afaik there was no ice racing in Belarus.

I think you are right that there was no ice racing in Belarus, but I thought Viktor Sidorenko who raced in the 97 ice final was a genuine Belarusian. He had moved over to ice from shale in the mid 90s.

Was he actually Russian as well?

4 hours ago, Bavarian said:

On a couple of other points there was a Mongolian rider I think ?

And I just wondered what happened to East German riders? Sure they had representation in the early world championships. And would have thought they would have been perfect for racing in Russia. Wonder why they disappeared of the scene. Political or lack of a track ? 

On 1/29/2021 at 11:16 AM, Conkers said:

Found this on Speedway Press Russia http://www.speedway-press.ru/2021/01/janMFRmlstepanov.html 

Basically, if the riders get their Visas sorted as soon as possible, then the meeting will go ahead. Looks like a few strings have been pulled!

There is a list of around 40 people who have been given the green light by Russia. They all have special personal invitations for the visa, and they need to be at given border points they requested on the exact day they requested. It's all quite tight and strict, but should be OK when all people follow the rules.

So it all looks pretty good Visa/border wise. There is still an issue with Russia not being allowed to stage international sport events though. Not sure what the precise status is at the moment.

Edited by DutchGrasstrack

I know it's stating the obvious but how strong is the field in Russia, can't remember seeing this boy Artem Burmistrov before but how exciting does he look? Can't help but think that Bogdanov is soon to hit the big time too and glad to see Ivanov looking good again. A word for poor Fadeev as well, some really big hits this year but the lad picks himself up and keeps going. Must drink Irn Bru in Russia too!!!  

If, like me you got up for an 8.00am GMT start for the second day at Shadrinsk, then its on now: 

Cup of Russia, round 4 in Shadrinsk:

1. Daniil Ivanov RU (3,3,3,3,3) 15
2. Nikita Bodganov RU (1,2,3,3,3) 12
3. Ivan Chichkov RU (1,2,3,3,2) 11
4. Evgeniy Saidullin RU (3,1,2,2,2) 10
5. Evgeniy Sharov RU (3,1,2,F,3) 9
6. Ivan Khuzhin RU (3,3,1,2,d) 9
7. Nikita Toloknov RU (1,3,1,3,0) 8
8. Dmitry Solyannikov RU (2,3,2,0,1) 8
9. Eduard Krysov RU (2,1,3,1,1) 8
10. Konstantin Kolenkin RU (2,2,2,d,2) 8
11. Savely Vedyanov RU (2,d,1,1,3) 7
12. Dmitry Borodin RU (0,2,0,2,2) 6
13. Matvey Volkov RU (0,0,1,1,1) 3
14. Elisey Vydrin RU (0,0,0,2,d) 2
15. Artem Burmistrov RU (0,1,0,1,0) 2
16. Vladimir Fadeev RU (1,0,0,0,0) 1

On 1/30/2021 at 4:43 PM, iris123 said:

On a couple of other points there was a Mongolian rider I think ?

And I just wondered what happened to East German riders? Sure they had representation in the early world championships. And would have thought they would have been perfect for racing in Russia. Wonder why they disappeared of the scene. Political or lack of a track ? 

There were a couple of Mongolian Riders about 15-20 years ago, and there was a film made about them training in Russia and Riding in the Master Of Spikes. I know about that because I helped the film maker with some research. 

Wasn't there a couple of German Riders who were from the East, who rode after the re-unification? I'm sure there was one who was East German who rode at Assen but for the life of me I can't remember his name.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Conkers said:

There were a couple of Mongolian Riders about 15-20 years ago, and there was a film made about them training in Russia and Riding in the Master Of Spikes. I know about that because I helped the film maker with some research. 

Wasn't there a couple of German Riders who were from the East, who rode after the re-unification? I'm sure there was one who was East German who rode at Assen but for the life of me I can't remember his name.

Yes there was one from Güstrow that rode into the 21C at Assen.  and Berlin. Beardy guy. Can picture him, but the name escapes me 

1 minute ago, iris123 said:

Yes there was one from Güstrow that rode into the 21C at Assen.  and Berlin. Beardy guy. Can picture him, but the name escapes me 

And I bet we have photos of him too!

• Like 1

Of the East German speedway riders, Thomas Diehr was the one I remember, who took up Ice racing in the early 1990s, and was quite good at it. 

The bearded one came a few years later, that was Marian Kreklau, but he was not so good.

2 hours ago, Conkers said:

The Mongolian ice speedway racers are an interesting topic.

The Russians had introduced the ice speedway sport to Mongolia sometime in the mid-1960s. They were racing in the Grand Sports Stadium in the capital City of Ulan Bator for about 20 years. With the end of the communist era, the ice speedway racing ceased in Mongolia. They had problems to get bikes and equipment.

There seems to have been an attempt to rekindle the enthusiam around the year 2000. 

A couple of Mongols rode in the 1999/2000 World Championship qualifying round at Berlin-Hohenschönhausen, a one-day meeting over twenty heats, held on December 17, 1999.

The two Mongolian riders were Sereener Myagsuren, who scored five points and finnished tenth, and Basuren Battsengel, who scored four points and finished thirteenth. 

Another Mongolian rider competed in the following year's world championship in a qualifying round at Yekaterinburg in Russia. That was a guy by the name of B. Khadbaator. Over the two days of racing he scored only three points and finished last out of the sixteen riders in this meeting. That was the last time the world has seen an Mongolian ice speedway rider. 

But let's take a look at the Mongolian riders' international performances of the 1960s and '70s:

Back in 1966, the inaugural year of the F.I.M. Ice Racing World Championship, a couple of Mongols rode in the semi-final Meeting at Novosibirsk, but failed to qualify for the finals. There names were Sambu Lam and Mirgom Tusvin.  

In 1967, a Mongolian rider by the name of Salbu Seszbudee made his first appearance in the world championship, finishing thirteenth with 8 points over two days of racing in the semi-final round held at Novosibirsk. This was the meeting were New Zealand's Ivan Mauger finished sixteenth with just a coule of points over the two days of racing. Another New Zealander, Goog Allen, scored nine points and thus finished just one ahead of the Mongolian.

In 1968 the first Mongolian qualified for the world final. Two of them contested the semi-final at Sterlitamak in Russia, and it was Salbu Serszbudee who qualified with seventeen points (9+8) over the two days of racing, finished in seventh place, with the top eight going forward to the world final at Ufa. The other Monglian in this meering was Sadambagin Oschirsuch, who did not make the cut, finishing eleventh with ten points.

The 1968 World Final at Ufa was held over four days of racing and won by Gab Kadyrov. The Mongolian Salbu Serszbudee finished very credible twelfth with a total of 15 points. 

For some reason unknown to me Serszbudee was not riding in the 1969 World Championship rounds. The Monglian riders in the semi-final round in Moscow were Dasdors Damdisuren (12th place with fifteen points) and Tuvsin Serengin (15th place with five points).

Salbu Serszbudee was back in 1970, and indeed finished among the top eight in the semi-final round Held at Ufa. Seventh place with sixteen points quaified him for the world final, while the second Mongol in this meeting Dasdors Damdisuren was eliminated in fifteenth place with only four points. The fact that the 1970 world final was the first one held outside of Russia, at Nässjö in Sweden, may have proved problematic for the Mongolian, who did not make the long journey and forfeited his place, thus missing the chance to ride in his second world final.

In 1971, when the world final for the first time was held at Inzell in Germany, the two Mongolians did not progress from their semi-final round in Moscow. Salbu Serszbudee narrowly missing the cut in ninth place with eighteen points, and Dasdors Damdisuren finishing twelfth with thirteen points.

The Mongolians had only one rider in the semi-final rounds of 1972, when the world final was again Held at Nässjö in Sweden. Salbu Serszbudee rode in the semi-final at Ufa in Russia, scoring ten points, finishing eleventh and thus failing to progress to the final.

Again, Mongolia received just one place in the 1973 World Championship qualifying rounds. A new rider, Sokol Handmaa rode in the semi-final at Ufa but failed to impress. with just five points from his ten rides over the two day meeting, he eded up in fourteenth place.

Dasdors Damdisuren re-appeared an represented Mongolia in the world Championship semifinal of 1974 at Ufa in the USSR. Disappointingly this rather experienced rider could score just three points over two days of racing, ending up in fifteenth place overall.

1975 saw the international debut of an other up-and-coming Young hopeful, who would become one of the leading riders in Monglia during the late 1970s and the 1980s, and who would make an unlikely comeback on the world stage in 1999. That was Basuren Battsengel. He rode in the 1975 world semi-final at Laningrad, but got no more than three points, which gave him the thirteenth place in the overall standings.  

In 1976 the two qualifying rounds were both in Western Europe in Berlin (Germany) and Grenoble (France). This may have been too far away to travel for the Mongols, so they withdrew and were not seen again in the F.I.M. Ice Racing World Championship until their all-too-short-lived comeback in 1999/2000/2001.    

I feel it is a shame that the F.I.M. has done absolutely nothing to help a nation like Mongolia to continue with the sport.

• Like 4

Great bit of research Christian. Thanks for that

• Thanks 1