British Speedway Forum

10 hours ago, Bavarian said:

Of the East German speedway riders, Thomas Diehr was the one I remember, who took up Ice racing in the early 1990s, and was quite good at it. 

The bearded one came a few years later, that was Marian Kreklau, but he was not so good.

Marian Kreklau! That’s the man. Thanks Christian. He was a really nice bloke to chat to as well. 

• Like 1

Found the results for the German Championship, because a meeting from Frankfurt 1995 popped up on my FB timeline. Shows how the numbers have dropped over the years. First few years they could get a full line up of German riders

http://www.speedway-yesterday.de/html/eisspeedway-dm.html

Not great quality, but interesting anyway

Super bit of research on Mongolian participation in ice speedway. I guess it went the same way, as the proposed introduction of the sport to towns such as Heihe in Northern China (across the Amur River from Blagoveshchensk)?

4 hours ago, moomin man 76 said:

Super bit of research on Mongolian participation in ice speedway. I guess it went the same way, as the proposed introduction of the sport to towns such as Heihe in Northern China (across the Amur River from Blagoveshchensk)?

When the Russians introduced the sport to Mongolia in the 1960s it worked very well and became quite popular in the capital City of Ulan Bator. National meetings were run there for more than twenty years.

China was a different story. No official race meeting was ever staged there. In the 2000s the Blagoveshchensk club attempted to take the sport of ice speedway racing across the border into northern China. This was not really succeesful, even though the Chinese authorities allowed the Russian club's ice speedway riders to do some demonstration runs at a couple of ice race tracks at Heihe and at Harbin in northeastern China. For a demo in the Manchurian capital city of Harbin, they had even brought the top two Swedish riders Posa Serenius and Stefan Svensson. But it seems that the demo runs did not sufficiently impress the responsible people in China to get the sport started in their country.

In February of 2014 the Chinese authorities were invited to attend the Ice Speedway Grand Prix across the border at Blagoveshchensk, and Armando Castagna was already talking about the possibility of an Ice Speedway Grand Prix in China within a couple of years (2016). 

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&u=https://www.speedweek.com/eisspeedwaygp/news/52165/China-Interesse-an-Eisspeedway-GP-2016.html

I wonder if the F.I.M. had given the Chinese and Mongolian ventures some more backing, it may have succeded and we could now have three Central Asian ice speedway nations, in Kazakhstan, Mongolia, and China.  

• Like 1

The first riders have got their visa's for Russia.

Hutla posted on facebook that he is expected to be in Prague next monday (to receive his visa). So it will be quite a rush for him to get to Togliatti in time (3600km, via Narva russian border).

Edited by DutchGrasstrack
  • Like 1

According to the FIM Track Racing Appendices - (Appendix 74: FIM Ice Speedway World Championship) there are no semi finals, just a final for the top 4 riders.

So it will be 20 heats then a Final.

Any comments?

23 hours ago, Conkers said:

According to the FIM Track Racing Appendices - (Appendix 74: FIM Ice Speedway World Championship) there are no semi finals, just a final for the top 4 riders.

So it will be 20 heats then a Final.

Any comments?

Is it two days?

Is this with a view to making everyone try harder through all the heats, rather than just settling for a safe top 8 to reach the semis?

9 hours ago, Schwantz34 said:

Is this with a view to making everyone try harder through all the heats, rather than just settling for a safe top 8 to reach the semis?

I for one am very interested in how this was discussed at the CCP. Cant see the point at all.

On a side note, no FIM race jackets at Togliatti according to the SR I’ve read. Mixed feelings about that, are they giving up or should it be put down to covid.

Togliatti lineup:

1 Johann Weber de
2 Lukas Hutla cz
3 Dmitry Khomitsevich ru
4 Aki Ala-Riihimaki fi
5 Max Niedermaier de
6 Daniil Ivanov ru
7 Pavel Nekrassov kz
8 Harald Simon at
9 Jasper Iwema nl
10 Luca Bauer de
11 Markus Jell de
12 Andrey Shishegov ru
13 Nikita Toloknov ru
14 Igor Kononov ru
15 Franky Zorn at
16 Dinar Valeev ru
--
17 Andrey Anisimov ru
18 Ilya Krivonoszkho ru

• Thanks 1

If I have got it right, the Svensson’s couldn’t get insurance and so couldn’t qualify for visa’s and had to drop out

Edited by iris123