British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iris123

Local boy who never rode for local team

13 minutes ago, BOBBATH said:

That might be stretching it re Taffy Owen , Iris, Taffy was born in Anglesey -much closer to Manchester than any of the Welsh speedway tracks that operated in Taff's era-thinking of Neath and Newport-the other end of Wale snot sure of any Welsh riders who rode for them- Fred Powell maybe? Probably someone in forumland will know though.

Brian Woodward rode for Newport I recall.

1 hour ago, BOBBATH said:

That might be stretching it re Taffy Owen , Iris, Taffy was born in Anglesey -much closer to Manchester than any of the Welsh speedway tracks that operated in Taff's era-thinking of Neath and Newport-the other end of Wale snot sure of any Welsh riders who rode for them- Fred Powell maybe? Probably someone in forumland will know though.

I understand that Fred Powell was born in England. Two Welsh riders who rode for Newport in the 1960s come to mind, Bob Hughes from Anglesey and Cyril Francis from Newport.

2 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Bob Hughes?

edit. Sorry didn't see the other replies

Edited by salty

Two more Welshmen to appear for Newport were Graig Gough (handful of meetings in 1999 and 2001), and Pete Rodger, who had a sole outing in 1975. Both were Newport-born.

On 7/8/2020 at 11:42 AM, iris123 said:

Steve Hone who came from Merton. None rode for the Dons. Any other strange cases out there ? 

born in Wimbledon and lived Raynes Park, New Malden, and Chessington while i rode but despite going for a chat with Maido during my lunch breaks from work at Copper Mill Lane, i never fancied riding for Wimbledon, i knew too many people and that made me conscious of being under those lights. anyway, i had offers off Arena Essex & Canterbury in '86 and not Wimbledon, i didn't get on with Eddie James (Wimbledon Jrs manager) for some reason.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

That might be stretching it re Taffy Owen , Iris, Taffy was born in Wales.

Not stretching it at all. Just the thread went off in a little tangent and nothing wrong with that

• Like 1

Guest compost

George Newton (born in Ash) never rode for Aldershot - about a mile or so away.

I was born in Hackney but never rode for them.....mind you, that may be because I was never a speedway rider.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, iris123 said:

Not stretching it at all. Just the thread went off in a little tangent and nothing wrong with that

Sorry Iris, you are quite right-apologies.

2 hours ago, norbold said:

I was born in Hackney but never rode for them.....mind you, that may be because I was never a speedway rider.

2 hours ago, norbold said:

Well Norbold I was born in Cardiff and never rode for them-my excuse is I was only 7 when they closed!!!

Thanx BL65 re Bob Hughes and Cyril Francis-how could I  forget. Cyril was indeed a local boy and still lives in Newport. I met up with Ian Terrar a couple of years ago. He is still in touch with Cyril, he still lives in Newport. Sad to say he's not been that well has a touch of dementia

3 minutes ago, BOBBATH said:

Thanx BL65 re Bob Hughes and Cyril Francis-how could I  forget. Cyril was indeed a local boy and still lives in Newport. I met up with Ian Terrar a couple of years ago. He is still in touch with Cyril, he still lives in Newport. Sad to say he's not been that well has a touch of dementia

I think Cyril sadly  passed away a couple of years ago 

1 hour ago, Seymour Dix said:

I think Cyril sadly  passed away a couple of years ago 

You are correct. May 9th, 2018.

Sorry to hear that-it was in 2017 that I met up with Ian. R.I.P. Cyril