British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iris123

Local boy who never rode for local team

Guest compost
23 hours ago, norbold said:

I was born in Hackney but never rode for them.....mind you, that may be because I was never a speedway rider.

Norbold,  if your comment was in reply to my one about George Newton then you're being sarcastic.  George Newton, who was a pre war world finalist, was still riding when Aldershot were in National League Division 3 (in fact he was active duirng all 3 seasons the Shots rode in NL3 in 1950-1952).  He rode in at least 2 challenge matches at Aldershot though neither was for the Shots.  Within the bounds set by this threads heading George was indeed a 'local boy who never rode for his local track'.  If I've misunderstood then I apologise btw.

Edited by compost
Typo

I think norbolds comment was not in answer to anyone’s post, just a stand alone . Think all the posts so far have been interesting

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, iris123 said:

I think norbolds comment was not in answer to anyone’s post, just a stand alone . Think all the posts so far have been interesting

Exactly, iris. I can't see how you could possibly have drawn the inference you did from my post, compost. It had nothing to do with your post.

1 hour ago, salty said:

Dave Morton, Belle Vue?

Yes, a strange one that. Wonder what the reason was

9 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Yes, a strange one that. Wonder what the reason was

I know that Crewe was part of the Allied Presentations Group which Len Silver was one of the five so I guess a move to Len's track, Hackney, seemed the obvious one. When Dave suffered his broken leg and wanted away he became somewhat of a pawn and was involved in a deal with Wolves which took Finn Thomsen in the opposite direction. Dave was never totally happy at Monmore Green and when the chance came to join Sheffield arose he jumped at it as it was one of his favourite tracks. I can't recall reading anything in Mort's book about not riding for Belle Vue as it would have been the obvious track considering his background and boyhood friendship with many that did.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, salty said:

Dave Morton, Belle Vue?

Dave trownson  and Phil Collins as well

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tracy Bird said:

Dave trownson  and Phil Collins as well

Steve McDermott?

17 minutes ago, waiheke1 said:

And Stephen Collins...

In a way I can understand that one or two brothers didn't want to follow on behind Peter. But that is a bit funny with Dave Morton. Started at the same time as Peter and I think I remember that the Collins brothers and Mortons were childhood friends. You would have thought it the natural thing to join Belle Vue

• Like 1

Mark and sean courtney lived in workington and am sure first saw speedway their but never rode for the comets .if ever u see sean ask him how his fingers are :t:

Saw Mark a few years back spannering for someone. Might have been a young Aussie

Pete Jarman was born in London, don’t think he rode for any London track?

• Like 2