British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iris123

Local boy who never rode for local team

1 minute ago, Midland Red said:

Pete Jarman was born in London, don’t think he rode for any London track?

That is a great one. Remember Pete at the end of his career 

Eric Hockaday is recorded as being from London but never joined a London team.  Arthur 'Donovan' Price from Wolverhampton only rode there in second half races before moving elsewhere, including near neighbours Cradley Heath.  Coincidentally, in the latter half of the 1960s Mick Handley who was born 'on the doorstep' of Dudley Wood started out at Wolverhampton instead, although he did eventually ride for the Heathens in the early 70s.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, iris123 said:

Saw Mark a few years back spannering for someone. Might have been a young Aussie

he was on Kasprzak's team for a while

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, stevehone said:

he was on Kasprzak's team for a while

It was at the U21 team meeting at Teterow. Andy Smith was helping one of the Brits out. I was talking to him and remember being surprised that Mark was sitting in the Aussie part of the pits I think, but can’t remember which rider either was helping

27 minutes ago, iris123 said:

It was at the U21 team meeting at Teterow. Andy Smith was helping one of the Brits out. I was talking to him and remember being surprised that Mark was sitting in the Aussie part of the pits I think, but can’t remember which rider either was helping

Mark Courtney lives in Poland , spanner’s for Max Fricke over there.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Mark Courtney lives in Poland , spanner’s for Max Fricke over there.

Mark is an Essex lad born in Braintree but the family moved north which is why I guess he made his name with the likes of Barrow, Workington and Middlesborough before eventually joining Rye House which is obviously much nearer to his place of birth.

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

Mark is an Essex lad born in Braintree but the family moved north which is why I guess he made his name with the likes of Barrow, Workington and Middlesborough before eventually joining Rye House which is obviously much nearer to his place of birth.

I used to drive mark to barrow before he could drive, at one time mark his brother sean, des wilson geoff powell steve lawson myself and poss jacko irving all rode cycle speedway in workington all thanks to good old ian thomas !

• Like 1

The recently deceased Wayne Jackson - Manchester

Freddie Williams fits a number of categories. The main one, he never rode for his local club. A welsh rider that never rode for a welsh team and also qualifies for the other thread of One Club servant. But it seems the Williams family moved from Wales early on, and who can blame them ?:D But he seems to have been based in Portsmouth, so a few clubs more local than Wembley 

19 hours ago, Midland Red said:

Has James Sarjeant ever ridden for Sheffield?

No, Forgot about James,

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 2:59 PM, Midland Red said:

Pete Jarman was born in London, don’t think he rode for any London track?

I recall seeing Pete ride for Wimbledon for whom he appeared a couple of times at the start of the 1964 season 

That season started in controversy which led to the Provincial League running 'black'. Provincial League riders were warned by the Speedway Control Board that they were in breach of ACU regulations and could be suspended from all competitive racing. I think Pete (and maybe others?) decided that they would try their luck with a National League team rather than face a ban. It seems things didn't work out and he moved on to Wolverhampton. Ironically it was Wolves' refusal to move up to the National League after winning the Provincial League title in 1963 that caused the problem.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Split said:

I recall seeing Pete ride for Wimbledon for whom he appeared a couple of times at the start of the 1964 season 

He made at least four appearances, but none in an official fixture.