British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Swindon 1957

Thinking of the Jolly Rogers and Bob Roger -got me thinking of the achievement of Swindon 1957-a second division track which when the Leagues amalgamated finished top of the combined NL-even beating out Wimbledon. Anybody in forumland recall that team (gustix maybe)and  seeing them ride that season. It was quite an accomplishment. I recognise that we are talking 63 years agobut I'm only 73 and would loved to have seen them as an 11 year old.!!!

• Like 1

The only team outside of London to win it between the Wembley and Wimbledon dominance, not forgetting the New Cross win. A year ending in 7 is good for a Wiltshire title win 57, 67, 17.

Edited by auntie doris

1 hour ago, auntie doris said:

The only team outside of London to win it between the Wembley and Wimbledon dominance, not forgetting the New Cross win. A year ending in 7 is good for a Wiltshire title win 57, 67, 17.

...and  the "Rebels" claimed 1977!

Guess it's so long ago that nobody on forumland actually got to see this team, although am sure many people have seen some of the riders. In fact even I got to see three of them- Mike Broadbank Neil Street and Glyn Chandler (although Glyn only scored 1 point that season and may have ridden only a couple of meetings) Never got to see Bob Roger (the top scorer), George White, Ian Williams, Ken Middleditch, Ernie Lessiter (one time SAL Riders Champion) and Al Sparrey (who I think may have been a bit of a character). In that team there were four future World Finalists-not too shabby. Anybody get to see all the riders mentioned even if only with other tracks or have any knowledge of Ernie Lessiter-is he still with us?. I think he just beat out Alby Golden for the SAL Champion that year-could be wrong though.

• Like 1

1957 was a great year for the club Bob Roger was top dog and averaged 10.27 and with Williams, White, Middleditch the top end was strong.Something I just found out was that the club paid 50 pound that year for the great Mike Broadbank from Wembley what a bargain that was.That year Roger also challenged Peter Craven for the coverted Golden Helmet beating Peter at the Abbey but losing to him at Hyde Rd and in the decider at Norwich.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2020 at 6:52 PM, cityrebel said:

Eleven years before my first ever meeting!

Can you remember your first meeting City??? i can't all i remember really is all the buses in the car park afterwards.

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

Can you remember your first meeting City??? i can't all i remember really is all the buses in the car park afterwards.

Absolutely Sid. It was the Laurels at Wimbledon on September 26th 1968. It was the first meeting at Plough Lane after the great storm. The stadium was in a right state after the river Wandle burst its banks. It didn't smell too good either!

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

Absolutely Sid. It was the Laurels at Wimbledon on September 26th 1968. It was the first meeting at Plough Lane after the great storm. The stadium was in a right state after the river Wandle burst its banks. It didn't smell too good either!

You have a superb memory City the 19th staging was cancelled 1.Briggo( the best).  2. N.Boocock. 3. Hedge  a great line up assembled.

11 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

You have a superb memory City the 19th staging was cancelled 1.Briggo( the best).  2. N.Boocock. 3. Hedge  a great line up assembled.

The flood made it instantly memorable Sid.

The flood made it instantly memorable Sid.

There were bad floods in the July as well,  on record it says the 15th September 1968 was the worst day.

9 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Guess it's so long ago that nobody on forumland actually got to see this team, although am sure many people have seen some of the riders. In fact even I got to see three of them- Mike Broadbank Neil Street and Glyn Chandler (although Glyn only scored 1 point that season and may have ridden only a couple of meetings) Never got to see Bob Roger (the top scorer), George White, Ian Williams, Ken Middleditch, Ernie Lessiter (one time SAL Riders Champion) and Al Sparrey (who I think may have been a bit of a character). In that team there were four future World Finalists-not too shabby. Anybody get to see all the riders mentioned even if only with other tracks or have any knowledge of Ernie Lessiter-is he still with us?. I think he just beat out Alby Golden for the SAL Champion that year-could be wrong though.

In 1954, Golden beat Lessiter in a run-off after both scored 14pts.

2 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

There were bad floods in the July as well,  on record it says the 15th September 1968 was the worst day.

The fire brigade rowed down my road Sid, and rescued me from my upstairs bedroom window with a ladder!

The fire brigade rowed down my road Sid, and rescued me from my upstairs bedroom window with a ladder!

Scarey stuff we had some bad floods in Swindon in 2007 remember the water being above car height.Still don't think it was anywhere near as bad as what you experienced.

45 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Scarey stuff we had some bad floods in Swindon in 2007 remember the water being above car height.Still don't think it was anywhere near as bad as what you experienced.

You takes things like that in your stride as a youngster. It's only when you get older you realise how dangerous it was!

• Thanks 1