British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Swindon 1957

4 hours ago, lucifer sam said:

Getting things back on topic, Swindon's 1957 league victory was astonishing when you look at the London domination post-war from 1946 to 1961, although sadly there was only one London track in the 1957 National League. 

Also, you wonder how good Bob Roger could have been, but for the fractured skull early in 1958.  I think Bob and Arne Pander were the riders who could have really challenged the Big Four (later became the Big Five, after Knutsson's ascension) but for injury.

Wimbledon had a big miss in Ronnie Moore that year who was having a go at car racing in '57 (he also missed much of '58).  On the other hand, Swindon had three good heat-leaders from the side that won the 1956 Division Two and then added to the second string side department to give them a really solid side, with Roger an outstanding No 1.

See I learned something-I didn't connect the Swindon win with the loss of Ronnie Moore to Wimbledon in 1957

Glad we are back talking about speedway-all I wanna do here is learn about Old Time Speedway (or as I am beginning to think VERY old Time Speedway).   Re the post mentioning Ken McKinlay in the 1956 World Final- I have the Maurice Jones  book"World Speedway Final  -A History from 1929" Great book easy to read and ended with the World Final of 1978( it was published in 1979). So I am aware of Ken McKinlay's outstanding performance in the 1956 WF. In 1979 I had moved to Calgary in my so-called oil industry (boo) career. I used to have to travel to all sorts of places in Saskatchewan- remember being in Kindersley, Sask and reading this  book at a local steakhouse ( I dined alone but you are never really alone if you have a book to read)- however I digress. My main point is  does anybody in forumland recall this WF and did they think Ken McKinlay was bound to be a World Champion one day . BTW -a tip to those in a restaurant dining alone who are trying to catch the eye of a waiter-just pull out a book start reading it  like you don't give a s**t how quick the service is and it looks like you are taking root there- they're over like a shot to take your order. Trust me it works(if you want super fast service pull out a copy of "War and Peace"!!). As an aside is Maurice Jones still with us or has he checked out to the big publishing house in the sky??

• Like 2

I saw Ken ride for my local team during his last year in Division One (before dropping down to star for Scunthorpe) and despite not being anything like the force he once was he still caught my imagination with his immaculate black leathers and bobble hat and still favouring the JAP engine, His World Final record was certainly impressive and I personally think that he is often overloooked when talking about the "Stars of Yesteryear".

I have the same book and as you say it's a joy to read....simple yet straight forward. Shame that it's never been updated.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

As an aside is Maurice Jones still with us or has he checked out to the big publishing house in the sky??

Maurice Jones died some time ago. All his speedway archive was auctioned off.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I have the same book and as you say it's a joy to read....simple yet straight forward. Shame that it's never been updated.

Have you seen Robert Bamford and Glynn Shailes' book "A History of the World Speedway Championship"? It takes the story up to 2001.

Edited by norbold

29 minutes ago, norbold said:

Have you seen Robert Bamford and Glynn Shailes' book "A History of the World Speedway Championship"? It takes the story up to 2001.

I'll look it up thanks!

Returning to the subject, I looked into It a little more...

What is particularly interesting is that Swindon started off the 1957 season in pretty poor fashion! They struggled in a few challenge matches, and their Britannia Shield fixtures weren't impressive either.

Things appeared to change when they acquired Neil Street for the start of the league programme. It wasn't just a case of his own scoring making the difference, but they really seemed to gel as a team. The main thing that happened was that even when one of their heat-leaders had an off-night, someone else usually managed to step up with a good performance. Prime example was at Southampton, which ultimately won them the league; Ian Williams and George White only scored four between them, yet they won 49-47.

Overall, it was quite a remarkable change of fortune when Streety arrived...

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

Most interesting chunky, thanks for the post. I had a lot of respect for Streety -brought far more to a team than simply his riding skills. Reckon he continued to do so throughout his long career both as a rider and in coaching and  management..

22 hours ago, chunky said:

You don't think that I am a valuable member of the BSF with an extensive knowledge of speedway?

Would me leaving the BSF make you happy?

YES  certainly so. !!!!!!            Not because of your knowledge of speedway though, that i cannot dispute not in anyway not in any form don't like your way your arrogance.And the way you portray yourself in a way you are a fraud opology ( now and again) do you understand the word ??? NO probably not.

Edited by Sidney the robin

18 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

YES  certainly so. !!!!!!            Not because of your knowledge though, that i cannot dispute not in anyway not in any form don't like your way arrogance and  the way you portray yourself simples really.

Please, just let it go, and stop hijacking all these threads.

Oh, and I'm going nowhere...

46 minutes ago, BOBBATH said:

Most interesting chunky, thanks for the post. I had a lot of respect for Streety -brought far more to a team than simply his riding skills. Reckon he continued to do so throughout his long career both as a rider and in coaching and  management..

If you look at the season's results, it really did change overnight for the Robins. It's amazing what a little team spirit does!

1 minute ago, chunky said:

Please, just let it go, and stop hijacking all these threads.

Oh, and I'm going nowhere...

Whatever not hijacking but won't ever bow down to you never !!!!  think you grasp that fact anyway.

Just now, Sidney the robin said:

Whatever not hijacking but won't ever bow down to you never !!!!  think you grasp that fact anyway.

Nobody is expecting you to bow down. All you have to do is accept that fact will always take precedence over opinion.

Again, please just let it go...

Just now, chunky said:

Nobody is expecting you to bow down. All you have to do is accept that fact will always take precedence over opinion.

Again, please just let it go...

FACT what a laugh you are  you are so Funny  Chunk !!!  really take a deep breath god your arrogance is laughable.

Yawn........

Anyway, back to the subject, if Sidney doesn't object?

Another interesting fact, Bob, is that while Ernie Lessiter doesn't grab the headlines the same as the others, he was actually unbeaten from the reserve position no fewer than FIVE times! That in itself is pretty impressive...