British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Swindon 1957

Just now, chunky said:

Yawn........

Anyway, back to the subject, if Sidney doesn't object?

Another interesting fact, Bob, is that while Ernie Lessiter doesn't grab the headlines the same as the others, he was actually unbeaten from the reserve position no fewer than FIVE times! That in itself is pretty impressive...

Over to you and yes it is a great topic and yes there are  some  really great people on the forum who contribute and add great knowledge and value.

1 minute ago, Sidney the robin said:

Over to you and yes it is a great topic and yes there are  some  really great people on the forum who contribute and add great knowledge and value.

Like me? Why, thank you!!! :t:

3 minutes ago, chunky said:

Like me? Why, thank you!!! :t:

You really are  delusional ?? don't think so you keep on smoking eh!!!! 

Edited by Sidney the robin

Thanks, Chunky, some really interesting stuff about Swindon and why they were so successful in 1957.

I only started going in 1960, but I was always very impressed by the Swindon line up as it seemed they had five heat leaders in their team, George White, Ian Williams, Neil Street, Teo Teodorowicz and Mike Broadbank(s). They were the only team that had such a strong top five. However, and I could never really understand this, they managed to finish bottom of the league! This was partly due to the fact that their top scorer, George White, missed several matches through injury and also the fact that their no. 6 rider, Johnny Board, could only manage an average of 2.5, while the reserves, Brian Meredith and Ron Taylor, could only manage 2-4 and 1.7 respectively (remember they were eight man teams in 1960). Brian Brett rode in 11 matches  and managed even less with 1.4. It was a sad decline from the heady days of just three years earlier.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, norbold said:

Thanks, Chunky, some really interesting stuff about Swindon and why they were so successful in 1957.

Well, it was before my time, but I developed a great interest from our scrapbooks. My mum was only interested in Wimbledon, but my dad was always a general speedway fan, and collected photos. For some reason, there seemed to be a lot of Swindon pics, with plenty of Ian Williams and George White! So, even as a young kid, there seemed something special about them, and I still have his photos, including Broady, Meredith, Brett, Board, and Teo.

Edited by chunky

Was interested to read your post chunky about Ernie Lessiter and Swindon-anybody know when Ernie retired.   I wonder if he had continued to 1960 he could have graced the Prov. League as his old "oppo" Alby Golden later did.

2 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Was interested to read your post chunky about Ernie Lessiter and Swindon-anybody know when Ernie retired.   I wonder if he had continued to 1960 he could have graced the Prov. League as his old "oppo" Alby Golden later did.

From what I can find, Ernie retired - for the first time - during the 1958 season. He doesn't appear to have ridden again until 1960, when he had a very brief spell (not sure how many matches he rode) with Swindon again.

In 1961, he turned out for Wolverhampton in the PL, only to retire again mid-season.

EDIT In 1958, Ernie started out the season in some style, and his lowest score in the first four matches was 9 paid 11! He soon lost form, and retired. In 1960 he rode in four matches; three Britannia Shield and one league.

Edited by chunky

On 7/26/2020 at 12:24 PM, norbold said:

Have you seen Robert Bamford and Glynn Shailes' book "A History of the World Speedway Championship"? It takes the story up to 2001.

Nice helpful guy is Rob. Can be seen shoppinng in Waitrose Malmesbury, saw him there about 6 months ago, lives in the town. Always helps with stats if requested.

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 1

On 7/26/2020 at 2:23 PM, norbold said:

I only started going in 1960, but I was always very impressed by the Swindon line up as it seemed they had five heat leaders in their team, George White, Ian Williams, Neil Street, Teo Teodorowicz and Mike Broadbank(s). They were the only team that had such a strong top five. However, and I could never really understand this, they managed to finish bottom of the league! This was partly due to the fact that their top scorer, George White, missed several matches through injury and also the fact that their no. 6 rider, Johnny Board, could only manage an average of 2.5, while the reserves, Brian Meredith and Ron Taylor, could only manage 2-4 and 1.7 respectively (remember they were eight man teams in 1960). Brian Brett rode in 11 matches  and managed even less with 1.4. It was a sad decline from the heady days of just three years earlier.

Hi guys was interested in Norbold's post- particularly poor old Brian Brett having an average of 1.4. When I arrived on the scene in 1964 Brian Brett was an NL star- I think he led the qualifiers to the British Final that year- was regarded as a cert to make the World Final, and indeed had a chance of being British Champ. However not to be-there is a famous photo of him (was it in Speedway Post-I am thinking here of a glossy monthly  publication associated with Speedway Star I think) flat on his ass after falling in his first ride. The blurb said he could still have qualified but obviously he was un-nerved. I was glad to see he rode with distinction in the 1965 World Final ( i woz there as Max Boyce would say). Any memories of Brian-maybe retired too early , died quite young, could have been a contender (as per Marlon Brando in "On the Waterfront'). Saw him ride for Newcastle in 65 and then (I think) CH in 1966-could be wrong though. Comments welcome.

That Swindon team of 1957  of Mike Broadbanks, (always think it sounds better with the "s"), Ernie Lessiter, Ken Middleditch, Bob Roger, Neil Street, George White and Ian Williams, didn't  always look to be the strongest in the National League but it gelled together admirably and that remarkable record of winning the Second and First Divisions in successive seasons, was thoroughly deserved.

I have an unhappy memory of my team (Birmingham) visiting Blunsdon that season and not only being massacred to the tune of 77-19 but being forced to ride the first 10 heats without body colours due to the team manager having them in the boot of his car, and rolling up excessively late.

After the meeting, the referee Cecil Telling, submitted a report recommending that Birmingham be thrown out of the league - a report which somehow found it's way on to the back page of the "Daily Express!"

What an embarrassing day! Perhaps the only consolation came when the Brummies inflicted the Robins first league defeat of the 1957 season on July 31st - the infamous night when Birmingham DID pull out of the league!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Hi guys was interested in Norbold's post- particularly poor old Brian Brett having an average of 1.4. When I arrived on the scene in 1964 Brian Brett was an NL star- I think he led the qualifiers to the British Final that year- was regarded as a cert to make the World Final, and indeed had a chance of being British Champ. However not to be-there is a famous photo of him (was it in Speedway Post-I am thinking here of a glossy monthly  publication associated with Speedway Star I think) flat on his ass after falling in his first ride. The blurb said he could still have qualified but obviously he was un-nerved. I was glad to see he rode with distinction in the 1965 World Final ( i woz there as Max Boyce would say). Any memories of Brian-maybe retired too early , died quite young, could have been a contender (as per Marlon Brando in "On the Waterfront'). Saw him ride for Newcastle in 65 and then (I think) CH in 1966-could be wrong though. Comments welcome.

Brian stayed with Newcastle in 1966 and then retired, only to come back to join Cradley Heath in June 1967 after Jack Scott returned to Australia. He then retired again at the end of the season, aged 29.

Wow, 29 was very young for Brian Brett to retire-was that about the same age as Brian Crutcher quit or was he even younger??

1 hour ago, BOBBATH said:

Wow, 29 was very young for Brian Brett to retire-was that about the same age as Brian Crutcher quit or was he even younger??

Brian Crutcher retired at the age of 26.

On 7/26/2020 at 7:23 PM, norbold said:

It always intrigued me how Mike Broadbank(s) surname was apparently incorrect when riding and amended later. Where did the "s" come from or originate? I remember his son, Terry, riding but I think by then the "s" had beed dropped?

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

It always intrigued me how Mike Broadbank(s) surname was apparently incorrect when riding and amended later. Where did the "s" come from or originate? I remember his son, Terry, riding but I think by then the "s" had beed dropped?

Why did he never point it out to anyone?  Why did Bjorn Knutson go through his career as Knutsson, at least in Britain?  Why did Chris Julian become Chris Julians for part of his career?  

• Like 1