British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

Belle Vue 1972 or Cradley 1983.???

24 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

It's a shame that Ian Thomas wasn't able to install some sort of discipline into the Hull team of 1979 which resulted in Ivan not achieving a clean sweep of championship wins as he had done so with his other British clubs...wasn't so much Coventry winning the league that year but Hull losing it!

Didn't they turn up with half a team at Wimbledon? I'm sure Ivan was slightly peeved about that!

21 minutes ago, Terry said:

Didn't they turn up with half a team at Wimbledon? I'm sure Ivan was slightly peeved about that!

That's right and if I recall Joe Owen failed to make it to Swindon (I was present) and where another match point was lost.

Ivan never forgot and always reminded Ian Thomas whenever they met up years after apparently!

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

On 8/28/2020 at 7:03 AM, steve roberts said:

I think that Oxford's side of 1986 was pretty special especially when the vastly under-rated Per Sorensen joined the side. One has to remember that this was during an era when a team had to declare a junior in the side therefore it's difficult comparing teams over any particular era when points limits/restrictions dictated the make-up of teams. Personally I would put Oxford top of the list as regards the team of the eighties winning three championships and many cups during seasons 1984 - 1989. One shouldn't forget the Newcastle side of 1976. it's funny that Division Two/National League sides tend to get forgotten about in these comparisons?

From what I remember Oxford won 3 to Cradley's 2?

• Like 1

On 7/25/2020 at 11:38 PM, Trotter65 said:

Cradley 83 was the best team I saw in all my years attending speedway... They were probably too good if you watched them every week though I would say... 

Didn't they lose Wigg, Grahame, Ravn and Pedersen to the points limit the following season ? 

But Cradley 83 for me was the best I have known 

They lost Wigg Ravn and Pedersen. From memory the points limit for 84 was 48 points. 

Agree, the best side I saw, though while they romped to the league they lost to Aces in the premiership and didnt even make the semis of the league cup.

17 hours ago, waiheke1 said:

They lost Wigg Ravn and Pedersen. From memory the points limit for 84 was 48 points. 

Agree, the best side I saw, though while they romped to the league they lost to Aces in the premiership and didnt even make the semis of the league cup.

Think the signing of Ravn acted as the catalyst. Had a feeling he joined Cradley around May time.

7 hours ago, prodons said:

Think the signing of Ravn acted as the catalyst. Had a feeling he joined Cradley around May time.

Correct. He was part of the Aces team that beat them to the Premiership and joined part way through the league cup.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2020 at 2:20 PM, prodons said:

It was just one of those rare perfect storms in sport where everything clicked.

Gundersen was ripe to step out of Penhall's shadow to be outright no1. He did and then some. King and Wigg had shown potential, but there was no guarantee they would step up a level. Both did. Collins and Grahame were already solid performers, but with Penhall gone and some young team mates, more was expected. They delivered. Pedersen was a raw recruit and could easily have struggled. He didn't and hit the ground running as a superb discovery. Ravn could have been low on confidence having been dropped by Belle Vue. The opposite, he rode like he had a point to prove and did. Fantastic team with no weak link. 

It is one of the rare times we went out of our way to watch a league match not involving a team we supported. We went to the Shay to see the Heathens visit. The other time was to watch Oxford visit Sheffield, mainly to see if Shawn Moran could get one over a peak Hans Nielsen. :)

• Like 1