British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gunner85

Buxton

21 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Is that the same BSPL who stated the rising star programme was a 2 year scheme and each club needed two this year ?

Nope they said it was a 5 year scheme and they "planned" for clubs to have 2 RS in 2022!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Think Iwade is a Nora site and not SCB? Also even with the donated air fence i suspect there is still too much to do to get up to league standard ....plus obviously would need a promotor.

Very much doubt IOW will be back after how they were treated and the dirty tricks campaign against them. 

In reality its Armadale, Berwick, Belle Vue, Mildenhall and probably Leicester. Then its the new entries / maybes Redcar? Oxford?. Think Northside 2023 will be a thing but for next season the clock is probably against them to get finished, signed off and build a team etc

Leicester have already said that they will run Cubs team in the NDL!

2 hours ago, edmon said:

There is nothing to stop them being both, after all Scunthorpe and Redcar are both - one for amateur meetings and one for league racing.  Iwade has already hosted league racing in the Academy League.  I'm sure someone would come forward to take it on.

Well, I hear Len Silver's available for consultancy....

I worked at Iwade for a few years. Bar the air fence it was as ready for Division 3 as, say, Buxton. Good place for some grass roots speedway.

Wouldn't be ironic if the only speedway in the south east was Barry Thomas' training track? 

Wish Buxton was on its way back. Places like that and Lathalmond were such joys to visit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RobMcCaffery said:

Well, I hear Len Silver's available for consultancy....

I worked at Iwade for a few years. Bar the air fence it was as ready for Division 3 as, say, Buxton. Good place for some grass roots speedway.

Wouldn't be ironic if the only speedway in the south east was Barry Thomas' training track? 

Wish Buxton was on its way back. Places like that and Lathalmond were such joys to visit. 

Take it you mean Lathallan (Linlithgow) ;).  Lathalmond is a bus museum in Fife.

1 hour ago, edmon said:

Take it you mean Lathallan (Linlithgow) ;).  Lathalmond is a bus museum in Fife.

Of course Edmon, thanks. The announcer was quite handy ;-)

I do not know 'the geography' of the area. How far from housing are the two tracks?

I know - sadly! - there has been no activity at the Buxton SPEEDWAY for a couple of years but has there been any racing at the nearby oval car circuit? Thank you!

10 hours ago, JohnHyam said:

I know - sadly! - there has been no activity at the Buxton SPEEDWAY for a couple of years but has there been any racing at the nearby oval car circuit? Thank you!

According to this Yes.. https://buxtonraceway.com/  and its next door to the Speedway track, incidentally there is activity at Buxton Speedway with Ride and Skid days apparently run by ex riders Aiden, Les Collins and Adam Allott. https://rideandskidit.com/

On 12/4/2021 at 6:29 PM, JohnHyam said:

I do not know 'the geography' of the area. How far from housing are the two tracks?

Not sure if this is the information you are looking for, but I believe the Buxton track is about 6.5 miles from their town centre. Well away from any housing (that I'm aware of). Certainly noise nuisance could not be a problem.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RS50 said:

Not sure if this is the information you are looking for, but I believe the Buxton track is about 6.5 miles from their town centre. Well away from any housing (that I'm aware of). Certainly noise nuisance could not be a problem.

It’s in the middle on nowhere really and  sure it’s up high up the hillside as it’s a steep hill up to get there 

On 12/6/2021 at 3:49 PM, mac101 said:

It’s in the middle on nowhere really and  sure it’s up high up the hillside as it’s a steep hill up to get there 

Indeed and a few sheep to dodge on the way in and all!! 
I only visited once, I’d describe hi-edge as iconic! On the side of a hill in the middle of the moors. Some unbelievable views and crazy weather!! 

• Like 2

The potential at Buxton always was and is there but sadly the place was tired and ultimately the racing surface needed work. Budgets and food intentions kept it going longer than many expected but often a refusal to listen or accept anything was wrong ultimately led to its closure.

Fantastic place to watch Speedway, either sat in your car or stood just a few feet from the action...

So close in fact, I remember one meeting where Jason Garrity fell off and one of the track marshals came over and asked "Are you alright Jason?" To which came the reply from under the helmet in his best Mancunian..

"Course I am, just 'elp me get this f*#@&n' bike of ma f*#@&n' leg"....:D

Loved going up there on a pleasant Sunday afternoon...

Worth always taking a 'big coat' though just in case it wasn't quite so pleasant when you actually got there.... :)

Edited by mikebv