British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gunner85

Buxton

Such a shame Buxton cant find someone to takeover the reigns and enter Buxton back  into the NDL, no no-one is going to make a fortune running Buxton but by the same token I wouldnt think anyone would make a big loss either and running some Flat Track and Training schools could subsidise the Speedway promotion. I always enjoyed my annual visits up to Hi edge and on a sunny summers afternoon it could be breathtaking up there, but on a bad day it is enough to freeze your wotsits off..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heathen52 said:

Such a shame Buxton cant find someone to takeover the reigns and enter Buxton back  into the NDL, no no-one is going to make a fortune running Buxton but by the same token I wouldnt think anyone would make a big loss either and running some Flat Track and Training schools could subsidise the Speedway promotion. I always enjoyed my annual visits up to Hi edge and on a sunny summers afternoon it could be breathtaking up there, but on a bad day it is enough to freeze your wotsits off..

It is a shame.

Youd have thought the basis for the promotion is there what with aidan and les collins and adam allot running the training days.

Maybe aidan and adam could dust off the kevlars and les could do the team management. 

As you say i wouldnt have thought thered be a massive upheaval in costs - maybe some points money to pay out? The track is still maintained and what with the training school therell be proper insurances in place etc

At the very least they could coordinate some amateur racing from there, maybe after the training days.

Would give the training day attendees a real path through to NDL racing should they fancy it to ride alongside their coaches.

Id definitely go over and watch being based in manchester

There has been no change to the ownership of Buxton Speedway. For NL racing to resume there would need to be significant financial outlay not least the BSPL bond, higher insurance premiums and ongoing BSPL fees/SCB licences.  The outgoings far outweighed the incomings which is obviously not sustainable for a business long term, hence why the decision was made to withdraw from league racing. Running training schools/experience days does not incur the same costs that league racing does and those participating are paying to do so instead of being paid. 

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Jayne25 said:

There has been no change to the ownership of Buxton Speedway. For NL racing to resume there would need to be significant financial outlay not least the BSPL bond, higher insurance premiums and ongoing BSPL fees/SCB licences.  The outgoings far outweighed the incomings which is obviously not sustainable for a business long term, hence why the decision was made to withdraw from league racing. Running training schools/experience days does not incur the same costs that league racing does and those participating are paying to do so instead of being paid. 

I fully get that Jayne. I suppose Buxton could run meetings on a similar line to how the Isle of Wight ran this year?

If Jane and Buxton could find a way to run NDL in some format and not lose any money doing so, I'm sure everyone in the sport would be delighted and try to visit when they could.

I equally think that what the IOW do, is testament more to the people running the Show there than necessarily the concept of what they are doing. I'm not sure supporters at some Clubs would appreciate it as much as it is appreciated for what it is at IOW e.g something outside the box, transformative and positive.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

I fully get that Jayne. I suppose Buxton could run meetings on a similar line to how the Isle of Wight ran this year?

I suspect for any racing to take place there would need to be an air fence and im guessing the Buxton one is out of date / deteriorated? Throw in some higher insurance premiums etc and the probable need for more extensive track work and you can see why its less appealing. I fully respect why the Moss family have stepped away from it after years of being beaten down and any hope of a return rests solely on a new promotor who is willing to invest heavily for little return.

3 minutes ago, HGould said:

If Jane and Buxton could find a way to run NDL in some format and not lose any money doing so, I'm sure everyone in the sport would be delighted and try to visit when they could.

I equally think that what the IOW do, is testament more to the people running the Show there than necessarily the concept of what they are doing. I'm not sure supporters at some Clubs would appreciate it as much as it is appreciated for what it is at IOW e.g something outside the box, transformative and positive.

Agreed. IOW also have the luxury of an excellent large race track which makes the other disciplines more appealing. The reason IOW have been successful is because they assessed what they have and marketed the product to suit rather than forcing a one sized fits all approach that it causing so many others to suffer.

I did have some hope of Buxton returning, given the weakening of the league, and Sheffield no longer racing Sunday. Let's hope they are back some time in the future.

12 hours ago, Jayne25 said:

Thanks for the info - could any unsactioned amateur meetings be ran? Just thinking how you could keep the training school attendees coming back time and time again. Say for example if you schedule a individual meeting for every 4/5 weeks during the summer you could have people attending the sliding days every week in run up to the amatuer race meeting. Again gives the sliders a goal to work to! 

The riders could rent the track bikes where available and then the riders with their own machinery can ride too. Might be some extra mechanic costs for the meeting to keep the track bikes up to speed but im sure a modest riding fee could cover? Maybe the same for medical assistance

I for one would definitely attend a few training sessions with the view to having a spot in an amateur meeting! Maybe two or three training sessions could gurarantee you a spot in the next upcoming amateur meeting.

Just brainstorming here

Edited by ljriley90

9 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

I suspect for any racing to take place there would need to be an air fence and im guessing the Buxton one is out of date / deteriorated? Throw in some higher insurance premiums etc and the probable need for more extensive track work and you can see why its less appealing. I fully respect why the Moss family have stepped away from it after years of being beaten down and any hope of a return rests solely on a new promotor who is willing to invest heavily for little return.

I'm not sure an air fence is compulsory at NORA meetings. Maybe someone could confirm this.

I think a NORA/IOW type meeting may be feasible perhaps once a month, however I guess the Moss family now have other interests and it is no doubt time consuming even running once a month, it cant be under estimated the time and Staff needed to run even once a month. I guess its a case of where there is a will there is a way but is there ?.