British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
davieb1

start date ?

16 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Will Covid testing for riders and officials still be required if stadiums don’t open till October,not seen anything mentioned on this subject?

Don't believe covid testing is the relevant point. Speedway can not pay without crowds, struggling even with them. An October start would be too late for a meaningful season. 

1 hour ago, RS50 said:

Don't believe covid testing is the relevant point. Speedway can not pay without crowds, struggling even with them. An October start would be too late for a meaningful season. 

It is if it is required before ANY meeting can take, don’t think it is cheap.Like you say Oct is too late

I believe this season will not be able go ahead so I suggest the BSPA have a meeting to cancel this season altogether like many other events have throughout the UK then all riders etc from abroad can return home.

1 hour ago, christalan said:

I believe this season will not be able go ahead so I suggest the BSPA have a meeting to cancel this season altogether like many other events have throughout the UK then all riders etc from abroad can return home.

That would be working on the assumption the BSPA give a damn about anyone but themselves and their own goals.

• Like 1

Unless the powers that be can get a clear concise answer from sport and culture within 10 days i dont think theyve any choice but to call stumps this season.

Its not an elite sport by any stretch and you couldnt call gatherings mass .

The government are keener for the culture vultures to go too a fetid opera or a show indoors than let people go for a pleasant evening in the fresh air where the current odds are 2,000-1 to catch even a symptom of this media driven virus.

• Like 3

We can't have speedway ,an outdoor sport ,yet the government deem it safe to hold a snooker tournament in a confined space !!!!!!! I can't work out how much safer it is to go to snooker rather than speedway ??.

8 minutes ago, Charlieboy said:

We can't have speedway ,an outdoor sport ,yet the government deem it safe to hold a snooker tournament in a confined space !!!!!!! I can't work out how much safer it is to go to snooker rather than speedway ??.

It can be a lot safer I guess, just depends on how it is organised. Just heard they are going to do a trial indoor concert in Germany. Not sure who, but they will do 4 ,30 minute performances, with different ways to get in and out and how it will all be organised. Then it will all be analysed by computer to see which method is safer......

Edited by iris123

GOD FREE was telling people at his amateur meeting yesterday that there would be no Elite or Championship this year as not enough clubs would commit to a shortened season but they hoped to get some National League and British Youth meetings soon .
Not sure how he thinks the National League will want to run ?

21 hours ago, False dawn said:

Speedway in UK allowed in the UK in October (?)

SON at the National Speedway Stadium in October (?)

Hope you've got your tickets B)

Isn't it often a tad wet in Manchester in October?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Joseq7 said:

Isn't it often a tad wet in Manchester in October?

Can be a tad wet anytime In Manchester;) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ringitsneck said:

GOD FREE was telling people at his amateur meeting yesterday that there would be no Elite or Championship this year as not enough clubs would commit to a shortened season but they hoped to get some National League and British Youth meetings soon .

I heard that. You might get a few tracks run some meetings at NL level. I'm all for it, if it does happen.

• Like 3

If they can't get going until October, why not have a British championship over multiple rounds at tracks that want to start up?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eric i said:

If they can't get going until October, why not have a British championship over multiple rounds at tracks that want to start up?

Simple. If there isn’t a crowd there isn’t going to be a meeting.

As for the Riders who put thousands into their equipment for this season, as Charles Wright has stated, why go and wear my engines practising for just a couple of meetings to have to spend it all again for next season. 

I can’t see any meaning full meetings of any notable standard in the UK this year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ringitsneck said:

Why not merge all the Premiership and Championship clubs who want to run into one league for this year, call it Pandemic Challenge league perhaps, at least there would be some speedway this year

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, hammer1969 said:

Why not merge all the Premiership and Championship clubs who want to run into one league for this year, call it Pandemic Challenge league perhaps, at least there would be some speedway this year

Because that won’t be cost effective. Berwick and Redcar running against Ipswich , Belle Vue and Poole who share some of the riders? Not enough riders , not enough fixtures.

Edited by Ringitsneck
  • Like 1