British Speedway Forum

After the problems in Poland and the government delaying, it was the only sensible decision to make.....:rolleyes:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, topsoil said:

Berwick have announced they are competing at the same level in 2021, so strike one against the doom merchants

I have to agree Topsoil and with BWitcher on his post on page one.

The entire position speedway finds itself in as a joke and should have been sorted along with other so called minor sports ages ago

We cant decry Covid but for goodness sake paranoia has taken over at times! Problem is the Gov scientists led by Messrs Whitty, Harries and Vallance dont get out much unless it to a Theatre with PM (indoors) Yes they can go back 1 August

And in Poland they are increasing crowd levels from 25% to 50%

3 minutes ago, Arthur54 said:

And in Poland they are increasing crowd levels from 25% to 50%

And in Denmark they haven't started their season and are still waiting to see if they even will.....

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, iris123 said:

And in Denmark they haven't started their season and are still waiting to see if they even will.....

To be pedantic, the DSL has yet to start (and they are talking about 5 instead of 7 teams even if they do), but lower leagues are underway. There have been matches in Divs 1 and 2. The former is a bit higher in standard than the NL, the latter a bit lower.

They usually get crowds in double figures. (I counted 29 at the league 2 match I went to last year).

8 minutes ago, arnieg said:

To be pedantic, the DSL has yet to start (and they are talking about 5 instead of 7 teams even if they do), but lower leagues are underway. There have been matches in Divs 1 and 2. The former is a bit higher in standard than the NL, the latter a bit lower.

They usually get crowds in double figures. (I counted 29 at the league 2 match I went to last year).

Yes, I know that. I did report elsewhere that the lower leagues had started. And yes, I have attended Div 1 in both 500 and 80 cc formats. And as far as I heard no fans are allowed in, so far

Edited by iris123

4 minutes ago, arnieg said:

I read that in Sweden the lower league crowd limit was 50 , in one match only 48 turned up:rolleyes:

4 hours ago, screm said:

Sensible decision from the BSPA.

There's a collector's item lol

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, emilali said:

Scary to think how many fans wont receive their money back because clubs have already spent the money but then may have gone bust or closed by the start of next season anyways. Got to feel for those that have shelled out their hard earned.

Even scarier if sponsors, who themselves are facing a tough time, may ask for any advances that they made to be refunded, as they got no advertising exposure out of the season.

Offering a carry forward option of the season ticket is all well and good, but it relies on the club not going bust before the start of the 2021 season. The option of the refund has to be offered too, and then the fans can make a choice of what to do. Anything else would be inviting the attentions of Trading Standards. A season ticket purchase is a contract, and one party to the contract cannot alter it without the other party having the option to pull out of it. Even Ryanair have had to offer refunds for their cancelled flights, and no organisation adheres to the Ferengi Rules of Acquisition #1 more than Ryanair.

Just think..... every season every UK club promoter announces that they have made a “ loss” running speedway . Sums of “ five figures” or “six figures” are bandied about.

So no meetings run this season, no riders wages, no fees for referees, no fees for medical cover. Paid staff at most tracks are probably one or two, the rest casual employees and/or volunteers. 

Are the losses incurred any higher or lower than they normally generate running a league programme? 

Biggest issue IMO is whether owners of the stadia used by Speedway are still in business next year? 

• Like 1

To add to the confusion stock car and banger racing goes ahead at Ipswich with fans allowed in because both are classed as amateur sports. Are you any safer in the stadia because they are not professional paid sports people. You could not make it up.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Hawk127 said:

To add to the confusion stock car and banger racing goes ahead at Ipswich with fans allowed in because both are classed as amateur sports. Are you any safer in the stadia because they are not professional paid sports people. You could not make it up.

well somebody has i am lost for words .what a joke

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Hawk127 said:

WTF OMG no wonder the country is in a state who makes this up 

1 hour ago, Bandit59 said:

WTF OMG no wonder the country is in a state who makes this up 

That would be the Tory government that the country voted overwhelmingly for last year. ‘You reap what you sow’ . 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1