British Speedway Forum

its done people , you will just have to wait until 2022 !

Some rather strange comments on here..... transferring blame to “The Government” As though it would be any different if we had some other bunch in “The Government” ?? 

Most of British Speedway’s  problems date back pre Covid World War, this war has just highlighted their  perilous state. 

Sounds like the moans and groans after a meeting has been  rained off after a cloudburst , and you stand around for an hour with false hopes that miracously the track will dry out. We are told that the meeting is definitely ON ON ON ......and then suddenly it’s OFF. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Some rather strange comments on here..... transferring blame to “The Government” As though it would be any different if we had some other bunch in “The Government” ?? 

Most of British Speedway’s  problems date back pre Covid World War, this war has just highlighted their  perilous state. 

Sounds like the moans and groans after a meeting has been  rained off after a cloudburst , and you stand around for an hour with false hopes that miracously the track will dry out. We are told that the meeting is definitely ON ON ON ......and then suddenly it’s OFF. 

How is it anyone’s fault but the government? They are the ones making the decisions on which industries reopen and which don’t. Stock car racing at Ipswich is fine but no Speedway, how’s that work? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, emilali said:

How is it anyone’s fault but the government? They are the ones making the decisions on which industries reopen and which don’t. Stock car racing at Ipswich is fine but no Speedway, how’s that work? 

Presumably speedway classes itself as elite sport and therefore has to comply with those government guidelines, whereas stock car racing classes itself as an outdoor public event where are there a different set of guidelines.

29 minutes ago, emilali said:

I’ve just looked at the Governments guidelines but as far as I can see it doesn’t draw a distinction between professional and amateur sport. As far as I can see the guidelines are all about crowds and social distancing . Even the British Speedway website talks about October being the target date for crowds, not because it is an a professional sport. I looked at the Ipswich Stock Car website and that says advance tickets only so obviously social distancing is relevant there.

I might have missed something so can you give us a link to where it says amateur sport is allowed but not professional.

It is actually quite interesting to read how much clubs are losing. Surely if they lose money hand over fist in each meeting like people say, then 0 meetings will mean less debt come end of season!?

Sensible decision as far as I am concerned. Absolutely pointless riding with no fans to watch, season nearly over anyway. Plan for 2021. This decision should of been made weeks ago.

And I am no lover of Rory Scheiln, but I read somewhere that he is working as a delivery driver to bring in money. Good on him. You'd hope many others will turn to a full time job now, what with the tweets about earning no money etc going about. Welcome to the real world, where you have to do something you may not enjoy to earn money.

• Like 4

It seems to be a little vague for sports as F1 is not letting any crowds in at Silverstone for two rounds they are holding in August but on the same weekends I am going to Oulton Park and Donington for the British GT and British F3 weekends. Also my other half's family are going to the British Superbikes :rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

I’ve just looked at the Governments guidelines but as far as I can see it doesn’t draw a distinction between professional and amateur sport. As far as I can see the guidelines are all about crowds and social distancing . Even the British Speedway website talks about October being the target date for crowds, not because it is an a professional sport. I looked at the Ipswich Stock Car website and that says advance tickets only so obviously social distancing is relevant there.

I might have missed something so can you give us a link to where it says amateur sport is allowed but not professional.

I used the stock cars at Ipswich as an example I did not generalise that ‘all amateur sport’ is allowed. Horse racing is to welcome fans back to Goodwood in a few weeks and thats professional. This government pick and choose which sports they are allowing to reopen based on how much it benefits them. And more likely in my opinion which industries ministers will receive the biggest back handers from to make it happen. 

• Like 1

Let’s face it nobody can really work out the logic in all this,but Speedway without normal attendances was never going to be viable, the Glasgow Promotion worked that out long before the rest,which tells me something,they’re smarter.!!

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

Outdoor entertainment is (or shortly will be) allowed with audiences. Perhaps Stock car racing is not a sport, but "an entertainment"

• Like 2

Sad to read in this thread that so many people seem so delighted to forecast a glut of track closures. I haven't seen any indication that any club is contemplating closure.

Will season ticket holders will be refunded or allowed to carry these over to next season? That is perhaps not a decision that can be made instantly since as yet, we do not know how the Leagues will be constituted in 2021. We may have one big league, two divisions of equal numbers - perhaps Coventry and/or Oxford will be back (we can but hope!) Let's just not be so negative.

Edited by brianbuck

Not delight at all. Just stating the obvious.

Lets hope everyone who has purchased a season ticket is given the option of a full refund.

35 minutes ago, emilali said:

36 minutes ago, emilali said:

I used the stock cars at Ipswich as an example I did not generalise that ‘all amateur sport’ is allowed. Horse racing is to welcome fans back to Goodwood in a few weeks and thats professional. This government pick and choose which sports they are allowing to reopen based on how much it benefits them. And more likely in my opinion which industries ministers will receive the biggest back handers from to make it happen. 

No, it was actually  Hawk 127 that started the ball rolling by say bangers and stock cars could run because they are classed as amateur sport. He then said you couldn’t make it up but he obviously did because it appears not to have been true. Then Bandit 59 seemed to have r believed it’s done you jumped on the band wagon by saying it was the Government

The guidelines are indeed a little complicated to the layman and we may or may not agree with them but make something up and then politicise it on a sports thread is both misleading and out of order.

4 hours ago, Hawk127 said:

To add to the confusion stock car and banger racing goes ahead at Ipswich with fans allowed in because both are classed as amateur sports. Are you any safer in the stadia because they are not professional paid sports people. You could not make it up.

4 hours ago, Bandit59 said:

WTF OMG no wonder the country is in a state who makes this up 

2 hours ago, emilali said:

That would be the Tory government that the country voted overwhelmingly for last year. ‘You reap what you sow’ . 

Aces statement:

Regrettably, this means that the Belle Vue Aces will not take part in league racing this season and therefore, following today’s announcement, we will review other options to stage speedway at the National Speedway Stadium in 2020.

A further announcement on this and the National Development League will be made as soon as possible.  

This is disappointing news for everyone involved in Speedway but despite giving every opportunity to stage league racing this season, the timescales for Covid-19 restrictions to be lifted have beaten us. 

The National Speedway Stadium staging of the FIM Speedway of Nations final on the 24th and 25th October remains unaffected by today’s BSP Ltd announcement. 

2 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

We're in a "blame culture". EVERYTHING has to be someone's fault. Someone ALWAYS has to be held to account. Even natural disasters and the weather has to get blamed on someone. And as people don't blame themselves, they have to blame someone else. And isn't that "someone else" what the government is paid to be? So, when people crowd out the beaches and someone catches the disease, it's the government's fault (not the people on the beaches). When people celebrate their football team's successes, or go on mass protests, and someone catches the disease, it's the government's fault (not the people acting like idiots) And of course, the Opposition will absolve people of all their guilt by encouraging the government to be blamed. Damn it, didn't Bojo personally import the virus from China himself? He might as well have done.

And would it have made a difference to have voted Labour into power at the last election? Of course it would. Along with free broadband to stream all your speedway for free, you'd have had sparkling new stadiums, free admission, free programmes for all, in fact free everything...innit? You did believe all that, didn't you? That you'd have got free everything by voting for Comrade Corbyn?