British Speedway Forum

55 minutes ago, mikebv said:

And that many of their riders are overseas riders so will have been severely impacted by the various and potentially ever changing quarantine rules, which will vary on a day to day basis from country to country depending on the latest threat level..

Not to mention being in a country with different policies and rules than the majority of your rivals in the league you race in...

And a country that isn't renowned for great weather as we hit late autumn, early winter...

And finally, from a business perspective, maybe it was better not to 'open' and take advantage of the various staff payment schemes that the Govt have put together to minimise losses....?

Can't knock what they did at the time, and hopefully their overall business will come out of this strong enough to keep supporting Glasgow Speedway..

My point was Fromafar was saying that Glasgow were the smart ones pulling the plug when they did and that they were smarter than the rest of the league.

"Speedway without normal attendances was never going to be viable, the Glasgow Promotion worked that out long before the rest,which tells me something,they’re smarter.!!"

Well in hindsight, saying that after the League was pulled is fine, but who would have pulled the League at the beginning of June, when potentially you could still run for a 5 to 6 month period? We could quite easily have been running from the beginning of August had the government known its @rse from its elbow and Glasgow could have sat it out as it's not good business for them.

Edited by iainb

There are some important differences between stock cars and speedway when it comes to the promotions. Speedway is a part time job for the promotions who have other jobs to provide the funds that enable them to run the speedway whereas most of the stock car promotions have offices and staff working seven days a week throughout the year with some running five or six meetings during a week in the summer which means that Spedeworth run more meetings in three weeks than are in the normal speedway season. Autospeed, Incarace and Startrax also run a lot more meetings than any speedway track sees in a season.

3 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

There are some important differences between stock cars and speedway when it comes to the promotions. Speedway is a part time job for the promotions who have other jobs to provide the funds that enable them to run the speedway whereas most of the stock car promotions have offices and staff working seven days a week throughout the year with some running five or six meetings during a week in the summer which means that Spedeworth run more meetings in three weeks than are in the normal speedway season. Autospeed, Incarace and Startrax also run a lot more meetings than any speedway track sees in a season.

But isn't another important difference that the drivers do it as a hobby rather than employment. Whereas speedway riders don't, in the main

1 minute ago, iris123 said:

But isn't another important difference that the drivers do it as a hobby rather than employment. Whereas speedway riders don't, in the main

Yes, that is very true. It is true that the international meetings due to take place for National Hot Rods, F1 and F2 Stock Cars and possibly Superstox have all been cancelled due to the limited crowds that are being allowed.

• Like 1

The late Ivan Mauger always maintained that Speedway was a sport ridden by professionals and managed by amateurs. 

Seems stock cars is the complete opposite from what I  am reading on here.

I think its a bit unfair to criticise the new BSPL Management Board (Godfrey, Damian Bates, Debbie Hancock, Chris Louis and Stewart Dickson) who have updated their intentions/actions regularly on their website and in Speedway Star, including the political lobbying, subject to Govt permissions.

All promotions have been praising their efforts and been kept in the loop with weekly 'Zoom' meetings.  Not sure what else they could have done.

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, iainb said:

My point was Fromafar was saying that Glasgow were the smart ones pulling the plug when they did and that they were smarter than the rest of the league.

"Speedway without normal attendances was never going to be viable, the Glasgow Promotion worked that out long before the rest,which tells me something,they’re smarter.!!"

Well in hindsight, saying that after the League was pulled is fine, but who would have pulled the League at the beginning of June, when potentially you could still run for a 5 to 6 month period? We could quite easily have been running from the beginning of August had the government known its @rse from its elbow and Glasgow could have sat it out as it's not good business for them.

But as a business that has openly said it annually puts six figure sums into subsidising Speedway and the Stadium though its main enterprise I would think it made real sense to make a very early decision given the many variables to their core business that inevitably will exist during a pandemic as circumstances can change daily..

Banking most of that cash and keeping it in reserve to ensure their main business has funds would 100% be the right thing to do..

And as mentioned before, given the many wide and varied logistical issues they faced around putting a decent fixture list together, it made sense to (quite possibly literally), cut their losses, and hopefully come back next year..

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

But as a business that has openly said it annually puts six figure sums into subsidising Speedway and the Stadium though its main enterprise I would think it made real sense to make a very early decision given the many variables to their core business that inevitably will exist during a pandemic as circumstances can change daily..

Banking most of that cash and keeping it in reserve to ensure their main business has funds would 100% be the right thing to do..

And as mentioned before, given the many wide and varied logistical issues they faced around putting a decent fixture list together, it made sense to (quite possibly literally), cut their losses, and hopefully come back next year..

100% agree for Glasgow... The point I was debating was to say that what was good for Glasgow on the 1st of June was not the right decision for the rest of the league's and to say that Glasgow were smarter in taking their decision when they did while everybody else hung on I just don't agree with...

And while there is no Speedway to go to I have nothing better to do other than have a beer and debate these pedantic points :drink:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, iainb said:

If you look back to when Glasgow announced it,I said I thought it was the right decision then on this forum.!That is why I replied to your post regarding hindsight.

Edited by Fromafar

5 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

If you look back to when Glasgow announced it,I said I thought it was the right decision then on this forum.!That is why I replied to your post regarding hindsight.

I know, I did see that and I agree that it was right for Glasgow at that time. Where I take issue with what you said more recently was that you said that Glasgow were smarter back in June than the rest of the leagues are now. I disagree with that, if it was right for the rest of the club's in the league to wait until the last possible minute they shouldn't be criticised for it.

2 minutes ago, iainb said:

I know, I did see that and I agree that it was right for Glasgow at that time. Where I take issue with what you said more recently was that you said that Glasgow were smarter back in June than the rest of the leagues are now. I disagree with that, if it was right for the rest of the club's in the league to wait until the last possible minute they shouldn't be criticised for it.

Fair enough ,that’s your opinion.

3 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Fair enough ,that’s your opinion.

If any Speedway were to be run this season would you attend or are you done for the year?

12 minutes ago, iainb said:

If any Speedway were to be run this season would you attend or are you done for the year?

To be honest think I’m done for the year,I have a125ml round trip to Berwick for my speedway fix normally ,but with no meaningful matches don’t think I will attend.Although I have tickets for SWC in Manchester and would attend if it’s on.

3 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

To be honest think I’m done for the year,I have a125ml round trip to Berwick for my speedway fix normally ,but with no meaningful matches don’t think I will attend.Although I have tickets for SWC in Manchester and would attend if it’s on.

That's a long trip... I'm surprised the SoN hasn't been moved to Poland, wouldn't surprise me if it was

2 minutes ago, iainb said:

That's a long trip... I'm surprised the SoN hasn't been moved to Poland, wouldn't surprise me if it was

Wouldn’t surprise me if it doesn’t go ahead.There is a clause stating no refund will be given on tickets though.Sounds illegal to me but will have to wait to see what develops.