British Speedway Forum

3 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Absolutely. I feel the powers that be sat back and waited for the government to make the decision for them. The stock car promotors have probably been lobbying non stop to get to the position they are now.

I agree 100%, they had to force the issue , there is no way speedway can be graded an elite sport alongside football, rugby and racing.

5 minutes ago, OldHawk said:

I thought Kent greyhounds and Speedway was both run by the same person, Cearns? But in any event my thought is to make sure even more people drift away from speedway than have already a match, any match, to retain interest would be a good idea regardless of the revenue of that one meeting.

Central park dogs get plenty of cash from the greyhounds being streamed all over the world via media rights, .that would have been the issue for all greyhound /speedway stadiums even if they got an august start. Poole were a million to one to race this season once they shut the dawgs down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Don’t think there was a lot of hindsight involved, when Glasgow pulled out and gave there reasons it sounded justified to me(possibly a few others).The pandemic was not yet at its peak and people were being told lockdown would last till at least end July beginning of August.There decision was justified IMO.Given the crowd situation that had been mentioned and the average age of speedway supporters.To be honest would you fancy  travelling and standing at aSpeedway Match in Oct/ Nov if they had got something set- up.

I suppose it's a bit like the calling off of a meeting based on the weather forecast, if the rain comes you look smart, if the sun is blazing down you look a bit foolish. Obviously Glasgow had their own reasons for calling their season off so early but at the beginning of June with the prospect of Speedway starting up in Poland and for 25% capacity being allowed in a few weeks later it seemed like the sensible thing to do for Britain to hold off until August at the latest.

Far be it from me to defend the BSPA, as I'm normally one of the first to criticise, but on this occasion I think they've done exactly the right thing. It also sounds as if there may have been issues with Eurosport as well, which Glasgow obviously didn't have to take into account.

What do you think they should do about the GP series?

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1

I think they should run the GP if they are going to get the 8 rounds they were anticipating ,but there again if they get a positive test during season it puts a whole new different complexion on it.Difficult one IMO. Think it as the right decision to cancel British season,as most Promotion don’t have the back up finances to cope with reduced crowds or the measures which might mean more expense.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

I really think there is more to it than that don’t you.!

Well you tell me the reason, and don't give me the amateur/ professional excuse. It's the same amount of people entering the same stadium. What makes it safer for stock cars than speedway.

At least there appears to be consistency from the various club statements concerning retaining the same 1-7s for 2021. Obviously there will be further discussion and deliberation at BSPL Board level and ultimately it will depend on rider availability.

I wonder if the AGM will be brought forward from November? Or is it in a fixed month according to the sport's constitution?  The usual explanation is to allow all clubs to finalise their season's financial balance sheet so they can declare their intentions to run (or not) the following year. Surely those decisions can be made much earlier this year?!

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Well you tell me the reason, and don't give me the amateur/ professional excuse. It's the same amount of people entering the same stadium. What makes it safer for stock cars than speedway.

Promotions are skint ,don’t have cash flow, spare cash for PPE requirements,most don’t own stadiums, and the greyhound situation will not help in a few cases,That’s only my opinion though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fromafar said:

Promotions are skint ,don’t have cash flow, spare cash for PPE requirements,most don’t own stadiums, and the greyhound situation will not help in a few cases,That’s only my opinion though.

I agree with you. That is the real reason.

• Like 1

If the form of the BSPA over past few years is anything to go by you can safe bet they did zero to get the season going. The Chief Clown Godfrey and his co clown Chapman haven’t the intelligence to lobby and enthuse loyal fans let alone the UK government. If they had lobbied why haven’t they informed fans about the situation? The BSPA have lazily sat back and hoped things would happen and nothing has. Frankly they are totally useless. No wonder the sport is in the derelict state it is in.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Speedtiger said:

If the form of the BSPA over past few years is anything to go by you can safe bet they did zero to get the season going. The Chief Clown Godfrey and his co clown Chapman haven’t the intelligence to lobby and enthuse loyal fans let alone the UK government. If they had lobbied why haven’t they informed fans about the situation? The BSPA have lazily sat back and hoped things would happen and nothing has. Frankly they are totally useless. No wonder the sport is in the derelict state it is in.

Godfrey doesn’t come across to well on the latest interview.His Scunthorpe track will be making good money on the track days and Practice Sessions no doubt.

57 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Godfrey doesn’t come across to well on the latest interview.His Scunthorpe track will be making good money on the track days and Practice Sessions no doubt.

Now that the season is over I would imagine Godfrey`s income from practice sessions will dry up as for the vast majority of riders there`s nothing to practice for.

• Like 2

Isn’t there an expanded feature in the Star?

25 minutes ago, screm said:

Now that the season is over I would imagine Godfrey`s income from practice sessions will dry up as for the vast majority of riders there`s nothing to practice for.

Junior and young riders will still practice to try to improve IMO.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Don’t think there was a lot of hindsight involved, when Glasgow pulled out and gave there reasons it sounded justified to me(possibly a few others).The pandemic was not yet at its peak and people were being told lockdown would last till at least end July beginning of August.There decision was justified IMO.Given the crowd situation that had been mentioned and the average age of speedway supporters.To be honest would you fancy  travelling and standing at aSpeedway Match in Oct/ Nov if they had got something set- up.

And that many of their riders are overseas riders so will have been severely impacted by the various and potentially ever changing quarantine rules, which will vary on a day to day basis from country to country depending on the latest threat level..

Not to mention being in a country with different policies and rules than the majority of your rivals in the league you race in...

And a country that isn't renowned for great weather as we hit late autumn, early winter...

And finally, from a business perspective, maybe it was better not to 'open' and take advantage of the various staff payment schemes that the Govt have put together to minimise losses....?

Can't knock what they did at the time, and hopefully their overall business will come out of this strong enough to keep supporting Glasgow Speedway..

46 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Isn’t there an expanded feature in the Star?

There is a report on page three continued on page twelve.