British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cityrebel

How many tracks will run meetings

16 minutes ago, Hamish McRaker said:

"Strictly" amateur status matches/meetings, no league set-up, run with local authority permission. Online booking for limited tickets. Will be interested to see prices being charged.

Since when did the very few clubs that run amateur meetings ( Kings Lynn, Rye House, Scunthorpe, Redcar ? ) charge admission? I’ve attended 3 out of those four and only every been asked to throw coins in a voluntary bucket at one of them.
Not sure who does ‘ on line tickets ‘ of those clubs but if they don’t charge it isn’t an issue.

4 minutes ago, Ringitsneck said:

Since when did the very few clubs that run amateur meetings ( Kings Lynn, Rye House, Scunthorpe, Redcar ? ) charge admission? I’ve attended 3 out of those four and only every been asked to throw coins in a voluntary bucket at one of them.
Not sure who does ‘ on line tickets ‘ of those clubs but if they don’t charge it isn’t an issue.

Likewise, I've attended amateur meetings at Eastbourne, Iwade, Lydd, Rye House & Scunthorpe. I've only paid at Iwade.

At present I think there will only be amateur events.

However should we get the go ahead to allow limited paying public within a stadium I believe there will be restrictions such as pre-booking of tickets to be in allocated seats which will be in a permanent stand at upto 20% capacity & no standing spectators. Riders limited to a single mechanic & only one team manager with the minimum of pit staff. If we can show discipline in this regard maybe there might be hope.

My lad goes back to full time training from next week at his League One football team's U19 dev squad..

Today he started contact training after a fortnight of social distanced training...

As currently not 18,  I have had to sign a waver to allow him to start contact training..

From August 1st they will play pre season friendlies..

We as Dads, generally get to watch the last half hour of training from the stands as many of them dont drive so get picked up. And get to watch all the games..

I am not sure how sitting in a football stand, socially distanced, to watch him play football, is any less of a risk than watching Speedway riders using the same social distanced rules.?

Edited by mikebv

4 minutes ago, Technik said:

At present I think there will only be amateur events.

However should we get the go ahead to allow limited paying public within a stadium I believe there will be restrictions such as pre-booking of tickets to be in allocated seats which will be in a permanent stand at upto 20% capacity & no standing spectators. Riders limited to a single mechanic & only one team manager with the minimum of pit staff. If we can show discipline in this regard maybe there might be hope.

Allocated pre booked seats in a permanent stand?  You must be a Belle Vue or Poole fan ? That’s is not an option at most tracks, Newcastle doesn’t have a seated stand even if we were running anything, think Scunthorpe‘s holds about 40 and Redcars about 200.

7 minutes ago, mikebv said:

My lad goes back to full time training from next week at his League One football team's U19 dev squad..

Today he started contact training after a fortnight of social distanced training...

As currently not 18,  I have had to sign a waver to allow him to start contact training..

We as Dads, generally get to watch the last half hour of training from the stands as many of them dont drive so get picked up. And get to watch all the games..

I am not sure how sitting in a football stand, socially distanced, to watch him play football, is any less of a risk than watching Speedway riders using the same social distanced rules.?

My take on things is the government allowed grass roots sport so that people could go about keeping fit and not many people turn up to watch that. Normally like you, just parents. That is imo totally different to actually allowing sports with crowds. But they have said they will allow a few test sports and then from October start opening up. Of course if things go wrong then you can bet that October date will be pushed back......

16 minutes ago, mikebv said:

It very difficult to see the logic in some of the lockdown scenarios,and to what will be the requirements will have to be in place should Clubs want to run a few meetings, obviously this will become clearer nearer the deadlines.:(

Maybe this pandemic will see the scales drop from the eyes of British speedway and help it find its true level.

I mean... in almost every sport, from football to motorsport, less than the top 1% can even consider themselves anything approaching professional. In almost every sport, the majority of participants do it for the love, not expecting payment and usually paying for the privilege.

Not speedway though. Any kid putting a club race jacket on thinks he deserves a dollar. Really? Let me tell you something, Buttercup, you ain't doing it 'to entertain the fans' you're doing it for your own fun (or more likely your dad's), it's your hobby, and you expect others to pay for your hobby. How many amateur riders are in speedway? I don't know, but the proportion of 'professionals' sure seems high from where I am sitting. In my universe, there are about three or four British riders who should be making a living from speedway, a handful who should get a bit of pocket money, and the rest? Pay for your hobby like everyone else.

I can't believe that speedway is big enough for more than 50 professional riders worldwide. Those sponsors and fans are subsidies, not salaries, and the sport is broke because its an amateur sport pretending to be professional. Riders should be paying to race in most instances, paying tracks for the privilege of riding on their prepared circuits in the way that almost every motocross rider does. 

Maybe this crisis will make people realise this. But probably not...

PS: I'm Truthsayer. It's my first post. Hi!

I guess we will see in the coming days which tracks will open and have challenges or individuals.

Looking forward to August as going to some circuits as the UK Motorsport has open up to crowds and got the Rugby season starting in September so if any that open hopefully can slip them in too :t:

1 hour ago, geoff100 said:

Top storey on the bbc motorsport section of sport nice to be remembered 

The BBC only give Speedway a mention when it's something bad - tossers

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ringitsneck said:

I can see it being done like a temporary private club membership for each meeting. Only a limited number of memberships are issued, by advance purchase, and you have to provide name and address. This would also be to meet local authority requirements in case any subsequent tracking and tracing is needed.

I don't think the membership charge will necessarily be cheap, either.

What's the point of this thread? 

Trying to find a way of seeing some amateur riders have a "skid" at a local training track with a few dozen spectators ? and paying for the privilege? Assume medical cover will have to be provided ? Who will do this in the current situation?

A lot of money will have to be spent to get the spartan facilities at most tracks to be Covid 19 compliant for what might be a handful of loss making meetings .

Who is going to bother ? 

No crowds until October  therefore no speedway in 2020 is the Speedway GB statement.

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

What's the point of this thread? 

Trying to find a way of seeing some amateur riders have a "skid" at a local training track with a few dozen spectators ? and paying for the privilege? Assume medical cover will have to be provided ? Who will do this in the current situation?

A lot of money will have to be spent to get the spartan facilities at most tracks to be Covid 19 compliant for what might be a handful of loss making meetings .

Who is going to bother ? 

No crowds until October  therefore no speedway in 2020 is the Speedway GB statement.

You obviously don’t follow things very well. Scunthorpe held an amateur meeting last Sunday , Redcar have just announced one, neither with spectators. They are good money spinners for little outlay.

8 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

I'm incredibly impressed that the scientists have been able run and prove analysis that the crowds that would attend an amateur meeting is one that has a lower risk of passing on infection than that attending 'elite events'

After all that must be what has happened as the government all through this has only 'followed the science'......

:blink:

Perhaps they hadn’t factored in Speedway’s delusions of grandeur...