British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cityrebel

How many tracks will run meetings

7 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

What's the point of this thread? 

Trying to find a way of seeing some amateur riders have a "skid" at a local training track with a few dozen spectators ? and paying for the privilege? Assume medical cover will have to be provided ? Who will do this in the current situation?

A lot of money will have to be spent to get the spartan facilities at most tracks to be Covid 19 compliant for what might be a handful of loss making meetings .

Who is going to bother ? 

No crowds until October  therefore no speedway in 2020 is the Speedway GB statement.

It doesn't take much to make the required changes needed to the stadia to be Covid 19 compliant..

Where my lad plays they have one entrance and a seperate exit system, and a one way system signed around the place..

You sit in one seat with the next two empty, with the row behind staggered using the same space allocation.. This then alternates up the stand. .

One steward does the entrance to the stand and one does the exit..

When the game ends, fans leave one block at a time from the stand with the nearest the exit block going first as directed by the steward...

Hand sanitiser is attached to walls at the entrance and exit, and within the one way system at various points..

Their standing areas are again one way in and empty stand by stand, with the nearest the exit first. Each is sectioned with a max amount people allowed per section,  similar to how supermarkets let in customers dependent on Sq ft size..

It wouldn't cost very much logistically at all to set up as it is just 'home produced' signage, some tape, hand sanitiser every 20m or so around the ground and circa 20 barriers near the entrance and exits to ensure paths don't cross if the entry and exit points are in the same vicinity..

You really are much safer there than in any supermarket in the UK..

only the league is cancelled, people will still see speedway in October at a fair few tracks

• Like 2

Surely the rules will be driven by the needs of lower league football (as opposed to the views of Sage or Public Health England). The Football League will want to get the 2020-21 season underway with spectators allowed (or at least the promise they will be imminently). 

I am not a football fan so do not follow it much but I have heard from the local teams here who are non-league that they looking to start the season in September. Not sure if this is with/without crowds. I did read somewhere as well that non-league clubs were hoping to start normally as if they start later than usual then they will miss out on the FA Cup dates which are lucrative fixtures for them and the cash from that must only help the club keep going and help with facilities etc

11 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

The BBC only give Speedway a mention when it's something bad - tossers

The BBC only ever mentions anything when it's something bad, I wouldn't worry about it too much the BBC is totally irrelevant these days to anybody outside of London and in hindsight it's probably a blessing that Speedway never got involved with them, can you imagine the scrutiny it would be coming under in these modern times with our lack of diversity? It'd be leading the news headlines every night :rofl:

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Phil The Ace said:

only the league is cancelled, people will still see speedway in October at a fair few tracks

Would be ironic if there are more meetings in October this year than some recent years. 

Wouldn't be surprised if there isn't an official British Championship with a couple of preliminary rounds and the final at BV.  Maybe even televised.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, coldace said:

Wouldn't be surprised if there isn't an official British Championship with a couple of preliminary rounds and the final at BV.  Maybe even televised.

With a decent bit of prize money to get some interest..?

£5k per Prem and Champ track would generate a £95k prize fund.. 

And maybe Eurosport could chip in £5k to cover it making £100k?

• Haha 1

Wow! You two do live in fantasy land. For a starters no track is going to put 5K in anybody’s else’s kitty, it doesn’t benefit them so it isn’t going to happen.

Eurosport will not chip in either, they’ve paid their dues , they are a business not a sponsor.

I doubt more than 3 or 4 tracks will attempt to run any sort of meaningful meeting, amateur meetings make money , anything else needs a crowd to make it viable.
look at what the ‘ chairman ‘ is already planning, a meeting ‘ up to ‘ NL standard, meaning the riders pay to enter , receive nothing so no cost to the club.  A Scunthorpe amateur select against a Leicester amateur select ,That’s the sort of meetings that will take place.

1 minute ago, Ringitsneck said:

Wow! You two do live in fantasy land. For a starters no track is going to put 5K in anybody’s else’s kitty, it doesn’t benefit them so it isn’t going to happen.

Eurosport will not chip in either, they’ve paid their dues , they are a business not a sponsor.

I doubt more than 3 or 4 tracks will attempt to run any sort of meaningful meeting, amateur meetings make money , anything else needs a crowd to make it viable.
look at what the ‘ chairman ‘ is already planning, a meeting ‘ up to ‘ NL standard, meaning the riders pay to enter , receive nothing so no cost to the club.  A Scunthorpe amateur select against a Leicester amateur select ,That’s the sort of meetings that will take place.

A bit strong but I see your point and think you won’t be far off the mark. It would make no sense to have a British Championship when the riders have had little to no racing.

21 hours ago, Ringitsneck said:

Since when did the very few clubs that run amateur meetings ( Kings Lynn, Rye House, Scunthorpe, Redcar ? ) charge admission? I’ve attended 3 out of those four and only every been asked to throw coins in a voluntary bucket at one of them.
Not sure who does ‘ on line tickets ‘ of those clubs but if they don’t charge it isn’t an issue.

You are not allowed to charge for attending an amateur speedway meeting.  Iwade have run outside of SCB authority before and maybe that's how that example happened.

1 hour ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Wow......“Scunthorpe Amateur Select vs Leicester Amateur Select”

A fixture to savour...... will it be run over two legs home and away to add to the excitement ? 

And they can swap all seven riders over for the second leg...

That way everyone gets a winners medal..;)

3 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Wow......“Scunthorpe Amateur Select vs Leicester Amateur Select”

A fixture to savour...... will it be run over two legs home and away to add to the excitement ? 

I take it you won’t be impressed when it’s announced then? Riders have already been asked and yes, over two legs! But as no spectators will be attending the only excitement might be the amount of air bags they go through.

6 hours ago, Ringitsneck said:

I think there maybe a few envelopes passing under the table?