British Speedway Forum
Noodles

Peterborough Panthers 2021

12 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Go to Kent and see Scott Nicholls Paul Hurry and Ben Morley 

Hardly worth £20 including prog, is it?

19 hours ago, hyderd said:

Simples,pay it or lose it.

If the price keeps going up I'd rather lose it. I'll content myself with a few amateur meetings and some grasstrack.

Edited by cityrebel
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, hyderd said:

I understand what you are saying,so we speedway fans should be demanding that our clubs tracks are not just rideable, but raceable,If the racing is good then fans will return the following week, regardless of who is in our team.If fans stop going because no GP riders are on show, that wont help British speedway. It's the racing that counts, not the riders name.

The point exactly, the sport needs to get the tracks to produce racing not gate and go crap that does nothing for no one.

Good racing will attract fans, that and getting back to encouraging teams to sign just our own locally grown talent will go a long way to avoiding problems like the Polish league rules in the future.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

If the price keeps going up I'd rather lose it. I'll content myself with a few amateur meetings and some grasstrack.

Sad but true. Ive stopped attending week in week out due to price and now pick and choose my meetings. Id rather travel further for some variety than watch the same repetitive action. For entertainment amateur and grasstrack often serve up better interest anyways.

2 hours ago, bigcatdiary said:

that and getting back to encouraging teams to sign just our own locally grown talent will go a long way to avoiding problems like the Polish league rules in the future.

As should have been done donkeys years ago...

They had a good system in the 70's through to around the mid to late 80's..

And then stopped following it..

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mikebv said:

As should have been done donkeys years ago...

They had a good system in the 70's through to around the mid to late 80's..

And then stopped following it..

Let’s go back 15 years and Len Silver ran full second half racing after the main meeting and helped produce a lot of good young riders.

Unfortunately the problem has always been at what level these riders can achieve and as is so often the case they find a level they want and don’t improve through ability or in a lot of cases injury.

Every so often a gem turns up but because the standard required for top flight racing is so high today, it’s probably 1 in 100 as opposed to 1 in 10 some 40 years ago.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GWC said:

Let’s go back 15 years and Len Silver ran full second half racing after the main meeting and helped produce a lot of good young riders.

Unfortunately the problem has always been at what level these riders can achieve and as is so often the case they find a level they want and don’t improve through ability or in a lot of cases injury.

Every so often a gem turns up but because the standard required for top flight racing is so high today, it’s probably 1 in 100 as opposed to 1 in 10 some 40 years ago.

sadly however most clubs aren't interested in running any level of second halves so the numbers and opportunities diminish even further. I in 100 may not be great but if you consider how many are taking up the sport each year 50 maybe? the figures look a lot worse.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sings4Speedway said:

sadly however most clubs aren't interested in running any level of second halves so the numbers and opportunities diminish even further. I in 100 may not be great but if you consider how many are taking up the sport each year 50 maybe? the figures look a lot worse.

I think the way youngsters are encouraged today is far better with the 250 350 and then 500 sections giving them confidence to ride a bike from an early age as opposed to getting straight onto a 500 and getting scared to death!

This will be beneficial in the long run making the quality over quantity issue far more important.

it won’t populate our leagues quick enough so we still need influx of Aussies etc  but it should help the GB profile.

3 hours ago, bigcatdiary said:

The point exactly, the sport needs to get the tracks to produce racing not gate and go crap that does nothing for no one.

Good racing will attract fans, that and getting back to encouraging teams to sign just our own locally grown talent will go a long way to avoiding problems like the Polish league rules in the future.

Part of the problem is that the bikes are just to quick/powerful for the UK tracks. Part of the UK reset should be slower standard equipment that is not only better suited to the UK tracks but also cheaper to maintain. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GWC said:

I think the way youngsters are encouraged today is far better with the 250 350 and then 500 sections giving them confidence to ride a bike from an early age as opposed to getting straight onto a 500 and getting scared to death!

This will be beneficial in the long run making the quality over quantity issue far more important.

it won’t populate our leagues quick enough so we still need influx of Aussies etc  but it should help the GB profile.

Can't argue that the development of the 250 engine has been a major boost, sadly the 350 has been often overlooked as a usable class although there are still a few that worryingly jump from 125s to 500s

50 minutes ago, Spl77 said:

Part of the problem is that the bikes are just to quick/powerful for the UK tracks. Part of the UK reset should be slower standard equipment that is not only better suited to the UK tracks but also cheaper to maintain. 

steps are being taken albeit slowly. The 2v class that run on the IOW last year seemed to produce some decent racing? For the most part the bikes that can really explore the limits of a track are the 250cc machines where riders can almost take liberties looking for traction without the fear of being driven into the fence. More track craft would be required but unfortunately the development of engines would still follow the 500 led path and they are not really any cheaper to maintain than current machines.

2 hours ago, Spl77 said:

Lets go back to uprights in the UK, safer and cheaper to maintain....:)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Blupanther said:

The racing was better and safer with skill on the bike being paramount rather than ‘gate and go’ !

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Blupanther said:

2 hours ago, GWC said:

The racing was better and safer with skill on the bike being paramount rather than ‘gate and go’ !

People may laugh but most tracks in the UK are not suited to the modern super tuned laydown engines..

• Like 5

1 hour ago, M.D said:

People may laugh but most tracks in the UK are not suited to the modern super tuned laydown engines..

Peter Collins said this many years ago U.K. tracks with few exceptions took their shape from the stadia unlike Sweden Poland Denmark that had built stadiums to suit a track shape.

He would know coming from Belle Vue specifically built for Speedway.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, GWC said:

Peter Collins said this many years ago U.K. tracks with few exceptions took their shape from the stadia unlike Sweden Poland Denmark that had built stadiums to suit a track shape.

He would know coming from Belle Vue specifically built for Speedway.

He was spot on, the way it could be done is to limit the RPM on engines to make them more suitable for uk tracks and thus limit service intervals for engines. 

Engines won't need to be tuned like they are with a rev limit, cutting costs to riders and the bikes will be suited far more to our unique tracks that we have built due to the stadia we have worked with.

I think it would be worth looking at but it will go against what the rest of the world in speedway is going with so I very much doubt it will ever be considered.