British Speedway Forum
screm

Alan Wilkinson

I always thought that Alan Wilkinson, like Bob Kilby, was the epitome of what a speedway should be. A hard solid but fair rider,

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Recall the time that Wilkie was excluded at Cowley on one occasion and proceeded to rip the tapes out of their sockets...and didn't he get a response from the fans! Great memories from a great man.

A few refs certainly had to ensure that the locks were secure in their boxes...:D

My over riding memory of Wilkie was of him standing on the fourth bend, inside the track where the tractor parked, wearing his Red, White and Black leathers, arms folded tightly, back ram rod straight, watching the racing intently as Captain of the team. 

He would then march across the track back to the pits at the end of the race to either pat his team mate on the back, or, if not succesful, and he felt it not a good enough effort, issue some 'motivational feedback' to his colleague...

A proper Captain in every way...

For some this might be a cliché,  but not for Wilkie..

They truly don't make them like him anymore. .

• Like 3

Very sad. Another real good'un gone...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RobMcCaffery said:

I saw Alan ride at Ellesmere Port the night before the crash, putting on his usually robust performance for the Aces. The memory of a fine performance was still fresh as the awful news came in the next day. 

He deserved better. Rest in peace Alan. 

Everyone has things in their life that as they get older they remember 'as clear as day' even as the years advance. .

Wilkie's crash that night is one that I can still see unfold to this day..

One that even as a young kid I had seen happen dozens of times before...

One that 999 times out a 1000 the riders get up from and walk away..

Truly tragic that Alan never did walk again following that crash..

But truly inspirational the way he reacted to it, and lived with it.

I suppose you either have that strength of character, and the courage needed to go with it, or you don't...

And as he proved over his racing years, and the many years since that night , he had both in abundance..

• Like 4

Repeating my own post, doubt anyone will mind: That's a blooming shame, he guested for Hull a few times as Ian Thomas said "I booked Wilkie because you know what you will get; total effort, no more and no less". I was at his 'benefit' at Belle Vue in 1979, 'The Wilkie 4's' and such was his standing in speedway I don't think one rider, certainly none of the stars, dropped out - it was a seriously wet meet too riders covered in wet sludge, but they still rode.  RIP....

• Like 2

The best match race i have ever seen was between alan and joe owen at the park rd track at barrow , they put on a hell of a show riding side by side knocking lumps out of eachother, a memory i wont forget .

• Like 1

A remarkable man who led a life that couldn't have been foreseen.

He was a true leader of men and undoubtably the best team captain that the Aces ever had. At the time of his accident he had gone up another gear and may have reached an even higher level, sadly we'll never know.

RIP Alan and you were so lucky to have someone like Jean to look after you.

• Like 3

I've just re-watched the DVD showing King's Lynn vs. Belle Vue (1978) when Alan stormed up the ladder to confront the referee after he was deemed guilty of unfair riding after passing Ian Turner. A hard but honest competitor.

Was really shocked when i read about this, RIP. Wilkie was a dedicated ace and a great skipper, hard as nails but fair, the two memories that always spring to mind when talking about Wilkie was his jaunt up to the refs box at Kings Lynn to contest a decision, and taking on all comers in the infamous match at Hyde Road v Leicester.

• Like 1