British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GAH

Alan Wilkinson

sad passing away of wilkie proper captain and hard  man of Aces in the 70's RIP WILKIE :sad:

Edited by geoff58

That's a blooming shame, he guested for Hull a few times as Ian Thomas said "I booked Wilkie because you know what you will get; total effort, no more and no less". I was at his 'benefit' at Belle Vue in 1979, 'The Wilkie 4's' and such was his standing in speedway I don't think one rider, certainly none of the stars, dropped out - it was a seriously wet meet too riders covered in wet sludge, but they still rode.  RIP....

Edited by martinmauger
added info, then spelling

very very sad news.i was 17 when wilkie had his accident and remember the news as if it was yesterday.he was a terrific rider in the mould of dougie wyer and will no doubt be sadly missed.condolenses to his family and rest in peace alan.

I would like to place on record my thanks to Ian Corcoran for sending me a copy of " fron 2 wheels to 4", the proceeds of which will go wilkies widow, Jean  .I recieved the book on friday, and have just finished it.A fascinating,  humbling read about two people with immense character and strength.

I was just a boy when Wilkie had his accident and only had vague memories of seeing him ride, ironically at Swindon , but am a lifelong speedway supporter. RiP Wilkie , my respect to you Sir, a very brave man

• Like 6

23 hours ago, castrolargh said:

I would like to place on record my thanks to Ian Corcoran for sending me a copy of " fron 2 wheels to 4", the proceeds of which will go wilkies widow, Jean  .I recieved the book on friday, and have just finished it.A fascinating,  humbling read about two people with immense character and strength.

I was just a boy when Wilkie had his accident and only had vague memories of seeing him ride, ironically at Swindon , but am a lifelong speedway supporter. RiP Wilkie , my respect to you Sir, a very brave man

Is it still possible to buy the book ?

1 hour ago, proud panther said:

Thanks Rob, I am not on facebook, is there any other way of contacting Ian ?

iancorcoran@hotmail.com