British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
HackneyHawk

Time to have an enquiry into the death of Speedway

And to think that Louis had 3 years Speedway experience and Collins less than 2 !

Funnily enough I am also a member of a rugby league forum, which seems to be mainly populated by fans of a certain age. There are a number of similarities between the majority of threads on both forums:-

There are no characters left in the sports

The game isn't what it used to be

The authorities running the sports don't know what they are doing

The sports are dying out

Is it an age thing? There are certainly plenty of enthusiastic promoters out there who are itching to get back to racing next season, if not trying to fit in some meetings at the end of this year. No deaths yet I'm afraid.

Edited by topsoil
  • Like 1

the only way i can see speedway going forward is 100% curtail where the big money (in UK terms, not Poland) goes.

run it as a stable business first, not win at all costs, let the sport grow without wondering if teams will run each season, it's the only way i can see will work.

BUT, everyone wants success and to win (at least at home), and some will be able to do that more than others, but if things are run strictly to budget it will give others a chance to catch up 

On 8/17/2020 at 10:21 PM, Shrub said:

You're right it was seven man teams, but your old age is letting you down just a little! We had the Russians v England at Ipswich, you had England  v Poland at Hackney (12 point max for the Tiger!) Think that match was shown on World of Sport. (Unless my old age is letting me down!) 

Yes, sorry about that and if I had been bothered to dig out the programme I would have seen that. For anyone interested below are the results which were summarised in the final programme

image.png.32610f0007ee6a2e040bef73caefb97c.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The final followed the above match. Programme was 15p and the guests of honour were Ed Stewart and Carol Hawkins.

Prize money

Winners Trophy and medals plus £100 to each rider

Losers - Medals plus £40 each rider

The rider scoring the highest number of points in the winning team got £50

The rider scoring the highest number of points from the losing team - £25

Bonus points counted

For GB versus ROW

Winners - Trophy plus £500 and a watch to each rider and team manager

Losers - Nothing

Special Award of £100 to the best rider of each team

Life was so simple in those days!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hawk127 said:

And the results of the two matches

First Match in the final was GB v ROW

image.png.1423c2e47053b7805d528e1a1209617e.png

The ROW reserve combination looked to be quite potent on paper...twelve months earlier second and fourth in the world on the same track! I recall the hoo-ha when John Louis was dropped after a poor showing in the proceeding match.