British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
HackneyHawk

Time to have an enquiry into the death of Speedway

8 hours ago, mikebv said:

If it was a £10 sport then more would go, and far more regularly, without any doubt..

Which can only increase atmosphere and enjoyment of the 'overall experience'. ..

When the Aces tried it a few years ago at the old place, the crowds were noticeably larger, however the Promoters deemed it a failure as they took less money than the usual crowd at the usual admission..

So it stopped, and crowds dropped back when full admission was resumed...

I presume it stopped because that was far easier than doing something about why the costs were so high that needed such a high admission charge in the first place....

The more difficult thing to do of course would be reducing these costs down to make something like £10 price point workable...

Therefore it wont ever get done...

i assume the £10 offer was done during the aces season. if so it was doomed from the start and riders pay and other things had already been agreed and so the only way. it was going to work was if it pay structure for the riders was put in place before the season kicked off .no point in doing it during the season . 

so to me it looks like riders demands are killing the sport .

if they dont like it , let. them retire and find another job ..   PART TIME RIDERS ALL DAY LONG FOR ME ... 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, jenga said:

i assume the £10 offer was done during the aces season. if so it was doomed from the start and riders pay and other things had already been agreed and so the only way. it was going to work was if it pay structure for the riders was put in place before the season kicked off .no point in doing it during the season . 

if they dont like it , let. them retire and find another job ..   PART TIME RIDERS ALL DAY LONG FOR ME ... 

the only way i can see the sport in this country surviving.

it's time to mix new ideas with things that worked in the past, look at successes and failures over the years and cherrypick what worked.

it's also blatantly obvious that the crowd levels here and the lack of mainstream sponsors can't support the rider demands, the time is now right to start from the bottom and work upwards from there.

19 minutes ago, stevehone said:

it's time to mix new ideas with things that worked in the past, look at successes and failures over the years and cherrypick what worked.

it's also blatantly obvious that the crowd levels here and the lack of mainstream sponsors can't support the rider demands, the time is now right to start from the bottom and work upwards from there.

People everywhere are having to take pay cuts. Why should speedway riders be any different.

23 minutes ago, stevehone said:

I do think and I have said it before many times is they have to be more flexible and let one or two promoters maybe hold just a handful of meetings a year if that is what will help more tracks to survive. Not tie everyone into a league

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, iris123 said:

I do think and I have said it before many times is they have to be more flexible and let one or two promoters maybe hold just a handful of meetings a year if that is what will help more tracks to survive. Not tie everyone into a league

not a bad idea, but will the SCB allow a track to maybe run some bumper meetings and cream off more than others?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stevehone said:

not a bad idea, but will the SCB allow a track to maybe run some bumper meetings and cream off more than others?

That is the problem. But I was thinking more like in the old days of Mildenhall with a few training matches and one or two individual meetings rather than top stuff. But I do think the trouble is everyone has to be in a league, which is too rigid

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, iris123 said:

That is the problem. But I was thinking more like in the old days of Mildenhall with a few training matches and one or two individual meetings rather than top stuff. But I do think the trouble is everyone has to be in a league, which is too rigid

Leagues that have very little credibility, value and kudos due to the very way that they are ran...

Akin to Turkeys voting for Xmas, as there can only be one outcome..

You only have to look at Poland..

If they ran a 20 meeting home season, with riders from all teams representing all and sundry on an ad hoc basis just to make sure every team has enough riders in their colours to ensure the 20 meeting home season took place, then crowds would be decimated from the current levels..

Less is certainly more over there and (covid exceptions), each team uses their own riders with a clear differential between levels.

Basically you ride in the league your capability level allows and move up and down organically...

Not "which league should I choose to be in this year, and when I decide who do I try and fill my seven places with"

If you cant make up a "good enough" team in the UK then you should be allowed to still play a large part in the sport if you so wished by running any comps you feel will make money, and represent the sport professionally.. 

The more non brand damaging Speedway meetings the better, of all standard and type..

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, stevehone said:

actually, i think i need to adjust this a bit .. 

will the OTHER PROMOTERS allow a track to maybe run some bumper meetings and cream off more than others?

2 minutes ago, stevehone said:

actually, i think i need to adjust this a bit .. 

will the OTHER PROMOTERS allow a track to maybe run some bumper meetings and cream off more than others?

You could adjust it again and ask will they allow another promoter to lose less than they are ?

What ever the model the Isle of Wight use, then copy that! They run tons of meetings outside league ones and despite on the face of it getting very few fans, still seem to be financially solvent.

Amateur doesn’t mean it has to be a complete mess, non league football is amateur but still run in a professional way, speedway should be classed as an amateur sport apart from the Grand Prix system.

Been saying it for years, costs are out of hand, need standard bikes, cheap to maintain, get it home, give it a clean, change the oil every few meetings, job done.

spectator pricing should be no more than an average National League North/South Football club, £10-13 and kids for free.

2 hours ago, cityrebel said:

People everywhere are having to take pay cuts. Why should speedway riders be any different.

It’s been obvious for the decade at least that rider demands are above the level that most clubs Clubs  can afford given crowd levels.This pandemic will highlight even more.IMO.That hope that crowds come flocking back because they are missing their speedway fix is optimistic to say the least .IMO.

14 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

It’s been obvious for the decade at least that rider demands are above the level that most clubs Clubs  can afford given crowd levels.This pandemic will highlight even more.IMO.That hope that crowds come flocking back because they are missing their speedway fix is optimistic to say the least .IMO.

Crowds will never flock back. People will have bigger priorities than a night at the speedway. This pandemic will affect all spectator sports.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Maybe instead of linking riders pay to the points they score it's time link riders pay to the number of punters that turn up to watch them, that way they'd be more involved in trying to get bums on seats

• Like 2

18 hours ago, jenga said:

It isn't rider's demands which are killing the sport, it is clubs bowing to rider's demands. If clubs set a pay scale which was sustainable to their income then riders would have a simple choice. Accept that is on offer or find gainful employment elsewhere. They problem is that clubs, in an arms race to secure the best riders, offer money their businesses cannot afford.

However, this doesn't get away from the fundamental point that demand exceeds supply, hence why riders can make such demands in the first place.

Didn't Buxton try this approach, sticking to the NL pay scales, and they really struggled to attract riders, probably because there were always other teams willing to pay over the agreed rates. 

You can always set out with the best of intentions, but human nature dictates that somebody, somewhere, will break the 'rules' to try to gain the advantage. It needs unilateral agreement between promoters (good luck) or it will never succeed.

Good idea and the right way to go, but I can't see it ever working.