British Speedway Forum

11 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Some suggestions to get more BAME fans to be interested in speedway

Less restarts after someone makes a good start

Less tractors going round for ages.

More up to date music over the tannoy.

More modern stadiums.

Any other suggestions?

Still wouldn't interest them. The promotion at White City tried all sorts of publicity to attract the basically West Indian community and it didn't work. As a matter of interest do many ethnic communities attend as spectators at football matches where there is a big influence of multi racial individuals taking part?

3 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Still wouldn't interest them. The promotion at White City tried all sorts of publicity to attract the basically West Indian community and it didn't work. As a matter of interest do many ethnic communities attend as spectators at football matches where there is a big influence of multi racial individuals taking part?

What I was really trying to say was that I don't believe there is any difference between trying to attract any different ethnicity to speedway than there is with trying to attract white people.

If people are interested they will come. If the evening out is a good one they will come again.

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, uk_martin said:

This exactly. 

Teams like Birmingham and Leicester are in extremely mixed ethnic locations. 40%-50% of the local populations are non-white, and yet neither is there ever a "BAME" face in the crowd, (or if you do they are the exception) nor do the teams do the first thing to reach out to a new audience from minority populations. Yes this goes back to speedway being crap at promoting itself in general, but in the current climate, at least an effort to become more inclusive is surely needed, if not for the survival of the sport then to fend of accusations of being "white elitist".

So, going back to that other sport that could be accused of being white elitist, F1 has finally (under pressure from it's exception to the rule) agreed to take measures to encourage equality, diversity and inclusiveness (whatever they turn out to be), so shouldn't speedway do the same, or at least start talking about doing the same? 

So u think " lewis" is going to give up some of his millions to his " blm" friends after all he works for one of the worlds worst slave users during ww2, mercedes.i am no racist but in 50 yrs of going to speedway and having been to every track now in operation i have yet to see a " coloured" spectator , i know it reads bad but its true.i would welcome anyone to our great sport but it seems certain groups just dont get it 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Grachan said:

What I was really trying to say was that I don't believe there is any difference between trying to attract any different ethnicity to speedway than there is with trying to attract white people.

If people are interested they will come. If the evening out is a good one they will come again.

No they won't 

2 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

So u think " lewis" is going to give up some of his millions to his " blm" friends after all he works for one of the worlds worst slave users during ww2, mercedes.i am no racist but in 50 yrs of going to speedway and having been to every track now in operation i have yet to see a " coloured" spectator , i know it reads bad but its true.i would welcome anyone to our great sport but it seems certain groups just dont get it 

Do they generally partake in attending any spectator sport (other than cricket)? As I posted earlier do they attend football matches in any great numbers despite many of the players being of ethnic background? Was never really the case but has it improved over the years or are they just not interested in spectating generally? I really don't know.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Do they generally partake in attending any spectator sport (other than cricket)? As I posted earlier do they attend football matches in any great numbers despite many of the players being of ethnic background? Was never really the case but has it improved over the years or are they just not interested in spectating generally? I really don't know.

Went to Millwall last season, very few black faces in crowd, in area of large black population. I suppose The Wall have always been associated with right-wing, same as Chelsea. They dont do the knee down the Den. The Arsenal have a large black following, their one time hoolie leader called Denton, now deceased, was a huge black geezer. Dulwich Hamlet have black manager and mainly black players, very few black fans?

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Do you really expect BLM supporters to turn up at "White City" :rofl:

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, iainb said:

Do you really expect BLM supporters to turn up at "White City" :rofl:

Good one although the local community was heavily ethnic hence the action taken by the then promotion!

• Like 1

It's clearly time football took action as black players are vastly over represented in terms of players in the Premier League.

2 hours ago, geoff100 said:

Berwick had a Black Promoter.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

Reminds me of the wife while she down on her knees dusting the fireplace hearth - I say to her "while you down there you may as well kiss my feet". That gets her up quickly.

good to see you cleaned that up . :o

48 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Berwick had a Black Promoter.

True would it be wrong to say he left " under a black cloud"!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

True would it be wrong to say he left " under a black cloud"!

Very Black cloud I’d say.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

In 18 years of caravanning i have only once seen a coloured family doing likewise. Some things just do not appeal to them just as i am sure some of the things they enjoy dont appeal to us.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, auntie doris said:

Went to Millwall last season, very few black faces in crowd, in area of large black population. I suppose The Wall have always been associated with right-wing, same as Chelsea. They dont do the knee down the Den. The Arsenal have a large black following, their one time hoolie leader called Denton, now deceased, was a huge black geezer. Dulwich Hamlet have black manager and mainly black players, very few black fans?

The thing is with Millwall, with Arsenal, Dulwich or even speedway and caravanning, is the likely worry of being in a mainly white crowd for some. It would be the same for a white person going to a mainly black or Asian event. There was though a small crowd of black fans at the Den. Ian Wright was/is a Millwall fan. Not sure if he went at all before his career, but I do remember seeing him with the Lions fans at Wembley v Wigan. There was/is also British heavyweight champion Julius Francis

He also admits to being one of Millwall's rare black hooligans - 'At first they thought I was an undercover policeman.' He has a real sense of humour