British Speedway Forum

20 hours ago, bruno said:

Imagine if speedway crowds took the knee, most would never get back up again

Playing the national anthem pre-introduction at Peterborough was bad enough via Horton & Watson. By the time most supporters had risen from their seats the anthem had finished.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, The White Knight said:

Michael Holding (Cricketer) did a terrific job talking about diversity on SKY recently, he was superb.

For me though, Taking the Knee - definitely not. I would not kneel as I think it should be down to personal choice.

Having said that though - I totally agree with Bruno - I doubt if I would be able to get up again without help.

Theres a shock 

8 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Still wouldn't interest them. The promotion at White City tried all sorts of publicity to attract the basically West Indian community and it didn't work. As a matter of interest do many ethnic communities attend as spectators at football matches where there is a big influence of multi racial individuals taking part?

Maybe they should have tried renaming the stadium.B)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tyretrax said:

Maybe they should have tried renaming the stadium.B)

They did, I think it was Blackbird Road Leicester but not sure it really made any difference.

Speedway is not a factor nor is most sport apart from say the likes of F1and Hamilton who has made a fortune from all the WASP support and now feels the need to make a stand without donating financially to the cause. It makes no difference, those who support these actions have an agenda that is so insular they will never accept the wider view. So many down trodden members of society and those that are suffering in huge numbers from a range of abuses be these racial or religious or sex or disability can garnish the support of BLM and few stand  up for them in the way that the hard done by BLM movement claim is their position. The BLM is but a pimple on the arse of the world yet gains publicity from  the dregs of the media who give credence to this while ignoring, not least on a numbers basis, those who are are abused and suffering in far greater numbers. The  BLM movement fail to look outside the box and cannot see what is happening in the real world and yet the media across the spectrum gives them airtime. Why do they deserve it above all the other causes?

• Like 3

After the news regarding the NFL Washington R words and Rugby Union C words "having" to drop their club emblems, should Speedway take a look at itself?

Ipswich W words

Poole P words

Somerset R words

Birmingham B words

Berwick B words

Edinburgh M words

Kent K words & R words

Armadale D words

Isle of Wight W words

Plymouth G words

On 7/28/2020 at 10:47 AM, BWitcher said:

It's clearly time football took action as black players are vastly over represented in terms of players in the Premier League.

Quite right, and not a transgender player in sight. The Premiership is institutionally racist & homophobic!

I feel that strongly about their agenda of hate and discrimination that I won't attend a single Bournemouth game in the Premier League next season.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, iainb said:

After the news regarding the NFL Washington R words and Rugby Union C words "having" to drop their club emblems, should Speedway take a look at itself?

Ipswich W words

Poole P words

Somerset R words

Birmingham B words

Berwick B words

Edinburgh M words

Kent K words & R words

Armadale D words

Isle of Wight W words

Plymouth G words

Somerset have already dropped their logo.

3 hours ago, Skodaman said:

Yes they have haven't they, for a dragon, yet they still call themselves Rebels? Is there a connection between Rebels and Dragons?

12 minutes ago, iainb said:

Yes they have haven't they, for a dragon, yet they still call themselves Rebels? Is there a connection between Rebels and Dragons?

Ahem, Somerset Wyverns I think you'll find?

Edited by ancient mariner
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, ancient mariner said:

Ahem, Somerset Wyverns?

Isn't that how Sam Ermolenko pronounces Woryna? :lol:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, iainb said:

Isn't that how Sam Ermolenko pronounces Woryna? :lol:

Polish Comms tonight calling him "Vorina" during his races..

Hopefully that will do...

And to be fair, Sam used that pronunciation most of the time last night..;)

• Like 1

If Sam uses “Vorina” it likely be that he asked Kacper the correct pronunciation .... I do this routinely at Poole so I can use what the rider tells me when I introduce them. I regard it as a matter of respect.

I always pronounced it this way, after checking it out, but was frequently questioned.. My advice was always the same, “ask him yourself” :)

39 minutes ago, MMX Events said:

If Sam uses “Vorina” it likely be that he asked Kacper the correct pronunciation .... I do this routinely at Poole so I can use what the rider tells me when I introduce them. I regard it as a matter of respect.

I always pronounced it this way, after checking it out, but was frequently questioned.. My advice was always the same, “ask him yourself” :)

... And what about when he uses "Veroni", "Varoynie" or "Veranda"... in the same race? Has Kacpker been joshing about with him?

:lol:

On 7/30/2020 at 6:32 PM, iainb said:

Certainly more connection with Somerset than the Confederate Flag.

The Wyvern is the official flag of Somerset.

The Rebels is relevant because of the Battle of Sedgemoor, which took place near Bridgewater in 1685, which was part of the Monmouth Rebellion.

It's actually one of the few nicknames and logos in speedway that are truly locally relevant.

Capture.JPG

Edited by Grachan
  • Like 4

On 7/30/2020 at 3:10 PM, Skodaman said:

I always thought it odd that they adopted the Confederate flag when the significance of "Rebels" in Somerset historically is very different?

• Like 2