British Speedway Forum

41 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Certainly more connection with Somerset than the Confederate Flag.

The Wyvern is the official flag of Somerset.

The Rebels is relevant because of the Battle of Sedgemoor, which took place near Bridgewater in 1685, which was part of the Monmouth Rebellion.

It's actually one of the few nicknames and logos in speedway that are truly locally relevant.

This includes Birmingham!

49 minutes ago, Grachan said:

The Rebels is relevant because of the Battle of Sedgemoor, which took place near Bridgewater in 1685, which was part of the Monmouth Rebellion.

It's actually one of the few nicknames and logos in speedway that are truly locally relevant.

Almost sounds like you're retrospectively trying to make the story fit the club name... I must admit I missed the press release explaining the change of logo though

14 minutes ago, iainb said:

Almost sounds like you're retrospectively trying to make the story fit the club name... I must admit I missed the press release explaining the change of logo though

It still fits though. 

Westonzoyland is just 10 miles from Highbridge. Are you suggesting that the Somerset promotion had absolutely no knowledge of this and it is just coincidence?

The Battle of Sedgemoor was the last and decisive engagement between the Kingdom of England and rebels led by the Duke of Monmouth during the Monmouth rebellion, fought on 6 July 1685,[1] and took place at Westonzoyland near Bridgwater in Somerset, England, resulting in a victory for the English army.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Sedgemoor#:~:text=The Battle of Sedgemoor was,victory for the English army.

Edited by Grachan
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Grachan said:

It still fits though. 

Westonzoyland is just 10 miles from Highbridge. Are you suggesting that the Somerset promotion had absolutely no knowledge of this and it is just coincidence?

The Battle of Sedgemoor was the last and decisive engagement between the Kingdom of England and rebels led by the Duke of Monmouth during the Monmouth rebellion, fought on 6 July 1685,[1] and took place at Westonzoyland near Bridgwater in Somerset, England, resulting in a victory for the English army.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Sedgemoor#:~:text=The Battle of Sedgemoor was,victory for the English army.

... and that's why they're called the rebels? I believe you... :lol:

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, iainb said:

... and that's why they're called the rebels? I believe you... :lol:

No, you're right. The fact that the Rebels fought in the Battle of Sedgemoor and had a Wyvern on their flag and their speedway team is called The Rebels and has a Wyvern for a logo is clearly just a coincidence.

My mistake.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Grachan said:

No, you're right. The fact that the Rebels fought in the Battle of Sedgemoor and had a Wyvern on their flag and their speedway team is called The Rebels and has a Wyvern for a logo is clearly just a coincidence.

My mistake.

Why originally use the American Confederate flag as a logo then? Was that the flag flown at the battle of Sedgemoor by the rebels? Please explain.

42 minutes ago, iainb said:

Why originally use the American Confederate flag as a logo then? Was that the flag flown at the battle of Sedgemoor by the rebels? Please explain.

...they stole the image from Oxford/White City! I maybe incorrect but did the first Somerset jacket look exactly like the White City version with a confederate soldier pulling a wheelie with the flag as a backdrop?

3 hours ago, steve roberts said:

...they stole the image from Oxford/White City! I maybe incorrect but did the first Somerset jacket look exactly like the White City version with a confederate soldier pulling a wheelie with the flag as a backdrop?

Capture1.JPG.f10a1b3a8eed2bb507749fec27eb1b26.JPG

The commemorative battle of Sedgemoor race jacket :rofl:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, iainb said:

Speedway continuity. Not hard to work out really. 

The Rebels nickname in the past used the Conferderate flag so they stuck with that at first. The same as Reading Racers did with the Harringay Racers logo, for example.

Later, they changed it to a more locally appropriate image after dropping the confederate flag.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Speedway continuity. Not hard to work out really. 

The Rebels nickname in the past used the Conferderate flag so they stuck with that at first. The same as Reading Racers did with the Harringay Racers logo, for example.

Later, they changed it to a more locally appropriate image after dropping the confederate flag.

...They nicked the City "Rebels" design!

Don’t think so. Weren’t Oxford the Rebels in early 1970’s and the tv programme came along some years after? After even White City had come and gone

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iris123 said:

Don’t think so. Weren’t Oxford the Rebels in early 1970’s and the tv programme came along some years after? After even White City had come and gone

Sure were! Dave Lanning was brought in to create a new image at Cowley (1972)  and one such move was to adopt the name "Rebels" which when the promotion re-located to Wood Lane the moniker went with them (1976 - 78) whilst Oxford reverted back to their original name of "Cheetahs".

• Like 1

On 8/5/2020 at 10:45 AM, Lord Skid said:

Didn't the flag originate from the General Lee on the Dukes of Hazzard

Repeats of the Dukes of Hazzard won't be the same with the flag air brushed out :-) 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Spl77 said:

Repeats of the Dukes of Hazzard won't be the same with the flag air brushed out :-) 

No the flag on top of the car is to commemorate the battle of Sedgemoor in Somerset, when the rebels defeated General Lee, coincidentally the name of a general also fighting in the american civil war... everybody knows that :rofl:

• Haha 1