British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ringitsneck

Not quite National League League?

Lots of talk around those tracks holding ‘ practice ‘ sessions ( Kings Lynn, Scunthorpe, Somerset, Redcar, ) that there’s to be a mini league of a National League standard riders starting imminently. I saw Godfrey say he was looking at staging something of “ upto National League standard riders “ but nothing has come out publicly.

A lot of NL riders have been approached to ride in it so it isn’t an ‘ amateur ‘ league . The riders I know of are well established so don't fit into Godfrey’s categorisation . I only know of northern based riders being approached as that’s my locality but understand there’s a bit of squabbling going on about which clubs are taking part. 

Any of you southern based know anything ?
Is this intended to get some form of restricted crowds in by claiming its ‘ grass roots ‘ ? 
judging by Scunthorpe’s last amateur meeting ( 60 plus riders ) there’s plenty of interest from riders of the lower standards although the ‘ social distance ‘ guidelines seem to have been forgotten about so not sure that a crowd of any sort can be ‘ controlled ‘ . Having attended three of those four tracks there’s a lot of different applications on how this is to be achieved in the pit areas so it seems these clubs are not following any standard blueprint. 
Perhaps the forthcoming Youth Championship Round is to be a test case with a crowd being allowed in?

Edited by Ringitsneck

Plenty of gossip about this subject at the weekend but I think it’s all just talk at the moment. Some clubs may look to run something behind closed doors but can’t see enough interest to form any sort of league. Scunthorpe did used to run an amateur series of challenges for all levels against Kings Lynn and Stoke a few seasons back. Maybe it could just be those tracks holding regular training sessions are looking to do something, Scunthorpe, Kings Lynn, Redcar, Leicester ? it would bring a bit of revenue in if the competitors are paying to ride as is the norm at amateur level.

Edited by Fortythirtyeight

2 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Plenty of gossip about this subject at the weekend but I think it’s all just talk at the moment. Some clubs may look to run something behind closed doors but can’t see enough interest to form any sort of league. Scunthorpe did used to run an amateur series of challenges for all levels against Kings Lynn and Stoke a few seasons back. Maybe it could just be those tracks holding regular training sessions are looking to do something, Scunthorpe, Kings Lynn, Redcar, Leicester ? it would bring a bit of revenue in if the competitors are paying to ride as is the norm at amateur level.

I’m talking National League number 1 so it’s not amateurs if riders have been asked to ride then it must be happening ? 

1 minute ago, Ringitsneck said:

I’m talking National League number 1 so it’s not amateurs if riders have been asked to ride then it must be happening ? 

Maybe? , but until something is officially announced we can all speculate as much as we like and as you've started the ball rolling....

17 hours ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Leicester can't run anything at the moment due to the Leicester Lockdown.

I think my team Plymouth want to get involved I believe there waiting on an inspection by our council so they can get approval.

I really hope the youmg/amatuer riders get some on track action this year. I assume, given the lack of profession racing, fans will flood in and watch our future talent.

You won't be disappointed.

I've got my ticket for Scunthorpe already.

21 hours ago, False dawn said:

I really hope the youmg/amatuer riders get some on track action this year. I assume, given the lack of profession racing, fans will flood in and watch our future talent.

You won't be disappointed.

I've got my ticket for Scunthorpe already.

“ Fans will flood in “ ? Really ???
they never have before to watch amateur racing or the youth rounds for that matter and , in my humble opinion, you shouldn’t have to pay to watch amateurs. No one has at previous meetings. Voluntary donations , yes, that’s fine but the competitors are paying to ride so the club is covering its costs and more.

• Like 1

Never had to pay to watch the youth rounds at Redcar over the last few years when they were held on a Saturday as a full meeting.

Plymouth have said they would like to run in the slimline development league if it happens. Nathan Stoneman has been sacrificed as they can’t find a second reserve. His statement and that from Mark Phillips are at odds. Stoneman’s absence allows them to bring in Jason Edwards and Chad Wirtzfeld as Mildenhall and IOW not running in 2020. Wonder if the Gladiators are refreshing their pitch for the Championship in 2021.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Rob B said:

NDL been cancelled now

BRITISH Speedway bosses can now confirm there will be no National Development League this season – but that doesn’t mean the end of hopes of team racing.

A number of clubs have made contact with league co-ordinator Jason Pipe to say they would like to stage competitive meetings at grassroots level. More are expected to follow.

With the additional local lockdowns put in place to continue to combat Covid-19, the decision was made to scrap plans for a full league programme in the weeks ahead.

Said Pipe: “This decision wasn’t made lightly, but one we felt had to be made in the end.

“I feel this is the right decision to make. I wouldn’t like to see clubs commit to a ‘league’ campaign and then not be able to fulfil all these meetings.”

Meanwhile Chairman Godfrey added: “In the end this is the logical and most sensible policy to take.

“We’ve seen how quickly things are changing once again and this way we don’t have clubs tied down to a full league programme.

“The opportunity is there for open meetings and challenge matches and there are a number of clubs who have already expressed a strong interest in staging meetings between now and the end of October.

“I remain confident there will be some form of NDL standard racing this year, but not in a league format.”

Certainly didn’t help when God Free said he didn’t want certain southern clubs in it as he didn’t want his team travelling too far.