British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ruckerroo

Speedways governors have failed us

Yarmouth greyhounds are opening sat night with crowds. The gen manager argued with the council that dog racing is not an elite sport and his judgement was passed.

I would bet good money that any saturday night dog track in summer will get at least as many thru the gate as a speedway side in the uk.

Dress it up how you like but i think the liason with government has been virtually non existant from the speedway direction, irrespective of wether it was worth attempting to start

Edited by ruckerroo

30 minutes ago, ruckerroo said:

Yarmouth greyhounds are opening sat night with crowds. The gen manager argued with the council that dog racing is not an elite sport and his judgement was passed.

I would bet good money that any saturday night dog track in summer will get at least as many thru the gate as a speedway side in the uk.

Dress it up how you like but i think the liason with government has been virtually non existant from the speedway direction

I don't think that many promoters would have been rushing to get clearance off of their local authority. The government have given them a get out of jail card. Apart from Scunny, there hasn't been a mad rush to put any meetings on.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

I don't think that many promoters would have been rushing to get clearance off of their local authority. The government have given them a get out of jail card. Apart from Scunny, there hasn't been a mad rush to put any meetings on.

I agree they certainly did not want to run League without  Crowds.

Then it's clear, if there was Speedway in Yarmouth then it could run but with no-one to race against as other local authorities haven't agreed then it's all pretty academic. How on earth the BSPA can be held responsible in the current climate I just don't know.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It would seem that the BSPA are not united in trying to get the sport on. It is like individual having franchises defending their corner and that will not work. You only have to watch CL from Ipswich on BBC East last week when speedway cannot run but Spedeworth can put on a meet and even with the restrictions, the attendance that you can se on recordings on YouTube of the event was probably better than speedway get. Those who control speedway have not gone beyond the call of duty for a variety of reasons. Some tracks who share facilities are unlikely to get the green light particularly where greyhound racing is involved but with a number of operators outside those constraints surely the controllers could have come up with a plan to get some format of racing on and with the right promotion it may well have kept the sport in the forefront of entertainment when all others around are not making it happen. No wonder things are floundering.

How long can they delay it for. If the expected second wave arrives this winter and is still around come March, do they pull the plug on next season as well. This bug is something we might have to live with for a few years. Speedway needs to prepare itself, just like other sports have, or suffer the consequences.

• Like 1

Best get all the local authorities to agree then before the BSPA are held responsible, like I said it's no good one track opening if there is no-one to race against NDL challenges will not suit every track and there is at least 1 track whose lease agreement declares it must run Speedway at the highest possible level. Realistically the only clubs that may (subject to local authority permission having been granted) be in for criticism are those who are in complete control of their facilities and choose not to implement the safety steps and avoid racing. I'm no fan of the BSPA (L) but no criticism from me on this one, operating a business involving the general public under Covid 19 restrictions is a complete nightmare at the moment and cannot be compared with pre-lockdown in any size, shape or form - Speedway as we know it will not be the same unless restrictions are lifted, try to imagine how it will be with a one way system, everyone wearing masks and gloves, keeping between 1 and 2 metres apart and then have to sanitise every surface that the public have access to after each visit, dealing with those who choose not to comply particularly when those who do are screaming at those who won't and we're only a week into compulsory masks in retail. It goes on face shields, "spit" screens, rigorous employee temperature checks, detailed risk assessment, compliance self audit and review process, staff education and individual compliance records - oh yes the local authorities are on it big time and are using go pro type body worn cameras to visi retail premises to record social distancing measures and effective risk management with the power to issue immediate cessation orders and then put the evidence before a court.

Time to give the BSPA a break on this one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Government now talking of October 1 for crowds in football stadiums -- Premier League, according to Guardian.

I'm www.utterly-confused.dot.com

Obviously none of us know what the BSPA have or haven't done or how hard they have tried to get Speedway on this season but we can see by their actions that they have left the riders high and dry with no contingency plan. Once the league programme was cancelled an intention to run a meaningful series of individual meetings for British riders should have been announced, a far more flexible solution than a whole league programme.

• Sad 1

The BSPA have to have a long term plan in case the bug doesent go away, otherwise the sport will be consigned to the history books.

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

The BSPA have to have a long term plan in case the bug doesent go away, otherwise the sport will be consigned to the history books.

They have...

They are going to run the meetings by sharing riders...

Riders will be allowed to ride in both of the top leagues for two different teams and even the NL if they qualify to do so depending on their average so these lads can have a third team..

They will also allow the sharing of riders on any given night between teams within the same division, so for example, Brady Kurtz could ride for BV on Monday and Sheffield on Thursday, likewise Nicki P could do the same but in reverse..

Obviously it could result in contrived septets, with riders riding under a 'flag of convenience' on a random ad hoc basis just to put a meeting on..

In fact, pretty much the operating model they have ran for donkey's years!!!:D

Ahead of the curve British Speedway, ahead of the curve..;)

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

They have...

They are going to run the meetings by sharing riders...

Riders will be allowed to ride in both of the top leagues for two different teams and even the NL if they qualify to do so depending on their average so these lads can have a third team..

They will also allow the sharing of riders on any given night between teams within the same division, so for example, Brady Kurtz could ride for BV on Monday and Sheffield on Thursday, likewise Nicki P could do the same but in reverse..

Obviously it could result in contrived septets, with riders riding under a 'flag of convenience' on a random ad hoc basis just to put a meeting on..

In fact, pretty much the operating model they have ran for donkey's years!!!:D

Ahead of the curve British Speedway, ahead of the curve..;)

It's good to know, we're in safe hands.

43 minutes ago, Piotr Pyszny said:

There can't be many professional sports nowadays where 90 per cent of revenue is through the turnstiles. And that on crowds as small as 800.

800 is a pretty decent turn out nowadays. As a sport, its attendances put it on a par with non league football.