British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ruckerroo

Speedways governors have failed us

25 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Not until you get rid of the ‘ top table ‘ of individuals who run clubs of their own , it needs an independent , non biased chair ( which it hasn’t had for years ) .

...had their chance with John Berry and fluffed it!

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Piotr Pyszny said:

TV's interest in the British Basketball League has been very patchy, according to Wiki. Seems the present deal is with a company called Perform Content.

https://media.sportbusiness.com/news/british-basketball-league-signs-new-deal-perform-content/

Super (rugby) League's 2020 deal with Sky Sports was worth £40m (it's since been reduced owing to COVID-19 disruption). Rugby league also has a less lucrative deal with the BBC, for Challenge Cup live coverage and Super League highlights (ditto). The BBC is to show every game - 61 - during the 2021 Rugby League World Cup (includes the men's, women's and wheelchair competitions).

British ice hockey's Elite League has a TV deal with Free Sports. It covers the live screening of league and cup games. Can't imagine it brings in that much money.

What did speedway get out of Sky Sports from its final deal?

Last season it was possible to watch every basketball league match live!

19 hours ago, steve roberts said:

still it allowed John Berry and his rose-tinted glasses wearing supporters to claim he had all the answers without ever having to prove it. :D Maybe he did, we'll never know, but wasn't he involved in a less than stellar attempt to run Wimbledon after his success at Ipswich? 

59 minutes ago, George Dodds said:

still it allowed John Berry and his rose-tinted glasses wearing supporters to claim he had all the answers without ever having to prove it. :D Maybe he did, we'll never know, but wasn't he involved in a less than stellar attempt to run Wimbledon after his success at Ipswich? 

I worked at Wimbledon when Berry was there. He was more of a caretaker than a promoter. The club was skint and struggling to survive. He was brought in to steady the ship. I don't think his heart was really in it. The following season the Lannings arrived.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2020 at 5:13 AM, steve roberts said:

We've had this discussion before, but I don't think he'd have made for a good supremo for various reasons. And I think we really only ever heard his narrative on his non-appointment. 

Undoubtedly a very good promoter, a good understanding of how to run sport, and someone with substantial vision. But the reason why speedway has ended-up in the mess it has, is due to the majority of promoters who couldn't or didn't want to see the bigger picture, and/or who were unprepared to take the leaps of faith that were necessary.

Anyone running a member-based association has to accept there will be multiple opinions on how things should be done that you'll have to defer to. You can rarely do things the way you'd prefer, and you have to have considerable diplomatic skills to steer a course that keeps the majority of your members happy. 

John Berry would have got frustrated very quickly, and likely fallen out with people over trivial matters in the way that he did. That's not the qualities you need for such a role. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

We've had this discussion before, but I don't think he'd have made for a good supremo for various reasons. And I think we really only ever heard his narrative on his non-appointment. 

Undoubtedly a very good promoter, a good understanding of how to run sport, and someone with substantial vision. But the reason why speedway has ended-up in the mess it has, is due to the majority of promoters who couldn't or didn't want to see the bigger picture, and/or who were unprepared to take the leaps of faith that were necessary.

Anyone running a member-based association has to accept there will be multiple opinions on how things should be done that you'll have to defer to. You can rarely do things the way you'd prefer, and you have to have considerable diplomatic skills to steer a course that keeps the majority of your members happy. 

John Berry would have got frustrated very quickly, and likely fallen out with people over trivial matters in the way that he did. That's not the qualities you need for such a role. 

Martin Rogers touched upon the subject in "Backtrack" when I put the question to him which proved interesting.