British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
coldace

Riding in Poland

There is a general belief that Polish speedway threatens the existence of speedway in Britain.  As a BV supporter I was concerned that thee of our 2020 team went over to Poland and I have tried to follow their scores.  

Lidsey has done very well and must have made good money. However, Bewley had three meetings scoring 1 point and Kurtz seems only to have had one meeting scoring 5 points.

How can Bewley and Kurtz make it pay?  Do they have their accommodation and food paid for by their Polish clubs?

I think that these riders will need more than one meeting a week both to make it pay and to get enough rides to improve.  So possibly they are going to be very keen to race over here.  Indeed, Lidsey said as much in the Star.

Anybody know why Kurtz isn't getting the rides and how those who aren't scoring regularly make it pay? 

10 minutes ago, coldace said:

There is a general belief that Polish speedway threatens the existence of speedway in Britain.  As a BV supporter I was concerned that thee of our 2020 team went over to Poland and I have tried to follow their scores.  

Lidsey has done very well and must have made good money. However, Bewley had three meetings scoring 1 point and Kurtz seems only to have had one meeting scoring 5 points.

How can Bewley and Kurtz make it pay?  Do they have their accommodation and food paid for by their Polish clubs?

I think that these riders will need more than one meeting a week both to make it pay and to get enough rides to improve.  So possibly they are going to be very keen to race over here.  Indeed, Lidsey said as much in the Star.

Anybody know why Kurtz isn't getting the rides and how those who aren't scoring regularly make it pay? 

Kurtz got dropped for Lidsey,he has been loaned out to 1st Division Team.They don’t mess about in Poland they pay good money but you have to be on your game every race.Bewlay was out of his depth IMO.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Kurtz got dropped for Lidsey,he has been loaned out to 1st Division Team.They don’t mess about in Poland they pay good money but you have to be on your game every race.Bewlay was out of his depth IMO.

Lodz

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the info.  If Kurtz rides in the 1st Division is it that his rate per point drops?  I'd imagine it must do.  As stated, they don't muck about in Poland.

2 minutes ago, coldace said:

Thanks for the info.  If Kurtz rides in the 1st Division is it that his rate per point drops?  I'd imagine it must do.  As stated, they don't muck about in Poland.

Circa £200 a point is the covid 19 going rate for the heat leader level riders..

50% less than normal. .

Hence Josh G decided not to bother...

4 hours ago, racers and royals said:

Lodz

Has he ridden for Lodz yet?  I couldn't see any reports.  He won't have had many meetings at all since he arrived in Poland which can't be good for him practically or mentally..  

37 minutes ago, coldace said:

Has he ridden for Lodz yet?  I couldn't see any reports.  He won't have had many meetings at all since he arrived in Poland which can't be good for him practically or mentally..  

He rode Saturday away at Torun scoring 5+1 from 5

OK, thanks for that.  So it seems he's scored just 10 points in all this Polish season.  Poor reward for his dedication and effort.

15 hours ago, coldace said:

In most professional sports they don't muck around, if you not good enough there are plenty of other guys waiting in line for your spot is UK  speedway different from that ?

Edited by pawel115

I think it is different in the UK, almost certainly as there is a shortage of available riders, hence the number who double-up. 

Despite that, with more meetings, riders get the opportunity to ride themselves into form and so are given longer.  Some clubs have less patience, Poole maybe, and others leave it longer, like my own club Belle Vue.

Like all things its high risk - high reward.  It is certainly more risky to commit to Poland if you are not at the top. Would imagine the UK is much less of a risk for them and they get more meetings..

I make no value judgement just recognise that it's not the same.

5 hours ago, pawel115 said:

In most professional sports they don't muck around, if you not good enough there are plenty of other guys waiting in line for your spot is UK  speedway different from that ?

In the UK the team changes tend to be dictated by team points limits and transfer deadlines not necessarily a riders performance, hence 2 average riders performing quite well could be dumped for a "heat leader" and a 2 point reserve to make up the numbers

On 7/30/2020 at 8:03 AM, coldace said:

I think it is different in the UK, almost certainly as there is a shortage of available riders, hence the number who double-up. 

Despite that, with more meetings, riders get the opportunity to ride themselves into form and so are given longer.  Some clubs have less patience, Poole maybe, and others leave it longer, like my own club Belle Vue.

Like all things its high risk - high reward.  It is certainly more risky to commit to Poland if you are not at the top. Would imagine the UK is much less of a risk for them and they get more meetings..

I make no value judgement just recognise that it's not the same.

There isn’t a shortage of riders. We try and run our leagues at a higher standard than the ability of the riders available. And then we allow them to race in both of our “professional” leagues anyway. 

Polish Speedway isn’t hurting British Speedway, British Speedway is hurting British Speedway.

• Like 8

British speedway should built and keep their own stock of riders. Let the super pro's go to Poland if they wish. There is only limited space from them over there. Keep the others exclusively in Britain and create Your own new stars. 

If one of them new born stars sometime attracts the attention of a wealthy Polish club, demand a transfer fee for him as long as he is contracted to a British club. This could bring quite some money into British Speedway. Do as they do in other sports (Football), and British speedway will survive and perhaps even thrive again.

If You have exclusive use of Your own riders, British speedway clubs can use any night they wish to run their home meetings, weekdays or weekends, just as it suits them.    

• Like 4

On 7/29/2020 at 3:07 PM, coldace said:

There's this thing called Speedway Updates. We've covered all televised Polish Ekstraliga meetings this season, as well as the Golden Helmet, and have the results of the League 1 and 2 meetings. 

https://speedwayupdates.proboards.com/board/299/poland

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/29/2020 at 10:11 AM, coldace said:

Accomodation was sourced by the clubs. One presumes the riders would have been expected to pay for that (rent, bills, food etc).

Dan is now back in the UK as he tweeted recently that his apartment in Wroclaw still had 3 months lease left on it if anyone wanted to rent it as well as tweeting about the treatment he received at his local hospital in Cumbria.