British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
spiegal

ARTHUR FORREST

I cann recall him from when I was a very small kid and he came to Foxhall...immaculate machine and leathers...just wondered if there is anyone out there who knew him ??

He retired at any early age, and I met him briefly at Briggo Golden Greats..seemed a shy fella.

3 minutes ago, spiegal said:

I cann recall him from when I was a very small kid and he came to Foxhall...immaculate machine and leathers...just wondered if there is anyone out there who knew him ??

He retired at any early age, and I met him briefly at Briggo Golden Greats..seemed a shy fella.

I saw him at that same meeting...Bradford stalwart if I recall.

They called him the "Black Prince" because of those immaculately polished black leathers. I have always wondered what became of them after he retired. I did ask Jack Hughes who is his brother-in-law and who was the grandfather of former Birmingham rider Ben Taylor, but he couldn't tell me.

39 minutes ago, brianbuck said:

They called him the "Black Prince" because of those immaculately polished black leathers. I have always wondered what became of them after he retired. I did ask Jack Hughes who is his brother-in-law and who was the grandfather of former Birmingham rider Ben Taylor, but he couldn't tell me.

Not sure if they ended up in the Speedway Museum?

I think Arthur died at a relatively young age.

Thanx for posting this iris123-this is the only time I have heard Arthur's voice-do you know when this interview took place and how long it was before Arthur's passing-he certainly looks fighting fit there.. I think Arthur married the sister of another speedway rider- Jack Hughes? Arthur Wright? and joined that family's thriving business. Not sure though

On 8/3/2020 at 4:16 PM, BOBBATH said:

I think Arthur died at a relatively young age.

He died in 2000 at the age of 68.

9 hours ago, norbold said:

He died in 2000 at the age of 68.

That's sad, I must have missed that news, RIP The Black Prince

He was always a favourite of mine at Brandon, everything about Arthur was immaculate, the cleanest black leathers that I think I've ever seen always with a white kerchief. A very pleasant quiet man, he became a hero of mine when he joined the Bees and I'd seen him finish third in the World at Wembley the previous season behind Ove and I think Ronnie Moore. I know I used to have his autograph donkeys years ago but along with all the others it disappeared after I left home to venture into the wicked world. But brilliant memories going back to 57/58.

Thanks for the brilliant video Iris, brings back memories. It seems there's some doubt as to whether that is Arthur or Arthur Wright and there's another vid of Wright here:

• Like 1

See they were both uploaded by the same person. Maybe he got confused .My apologies if it isn't the right Arthur

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, iris123 said:

See they were both uploaded by the same person. Maybe he got confused .My apologies if it isn't the right Arthur

It's strange that Brian Buck mentions that he was Jack Hughes brother in law, but assuming the second video is Arthur Wright he says that he is Jack's brother in law and he also mentioned Arthur Forrest living not far away, so perhaps they all married three sisters.  I'm confused but i hope they're not lol. 

It's good to have the old brain shaken up once in a while

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, jrs said:

It's strange that Brian Buck mentions that he was Jack Hughes brother in law, but assuming the second video is Arthur Wright he says that he is Jack's brother in law and he also mentioned Arthur Forrest living not far away, so perhaps they all married three sisters.  I'm confused but i hope they're not lol. 

It's good to have the old brain shaken up once in a while

Arthur Forrest and Arthur Wright married Jack Hughes' two sisters.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BL65 said:

Arthur Forrest and Arthur Wright married Jack Hughes' two sisters.

Thanks for that BL, now we know the connection.

I've greatly enjoyed this thread and again thanks for the videos of Arthur-tip of thehat to BL65 for figuring out the marriage stuff-I would expect no less from you-always impressed by your knowledge and research.

• Like 1

So it appears that that is Arthur Wright in the videos. Is he not related to current racer charles Wright?