British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
spiegal

ARTHUR FORREST

26 minutes ago, Knowle said:

So it appears that that is Arthur Wright in the videos. Is he not related to current racer charles Wright?

Not as far as I know. Charles' grandfather was Jim Yacoby, though.

11 hours ago, chunky said:

Not as far as I know. Charles' grandfather was Jim Yacoby, though.

Thanks Chunky. i did some more digging and find that Arthur's great nephew  is recent rider Ben Taylor so my hunch was about a quarter true.!

Incidentally, I know this thread had been going some time but could either the originator or an admin please change the title to Arthur Forrest out of respect to the man please?

• Like 3

On 8/3/2020 at 11:57 AM, spiegal said:

I cann recall him from when I was a very small kid and he came to Foxhall...immaculate machine and leathers...just wondered if there is anyone out there who knew him ??

He retired at any early age, and I met him briefly at Briggo Golden Greats..seemed a shy fella.

He was twenty-seven I believe when he retired.

Would you be kind enough ti change his surname to FORREST in your topic line?

2 hours ago, spiegal said:

many thanks to the administrators......all changed with apologies

Thanks, spiegal. I wasn't having a go at you. Inadvertent errors are easily made on Internet Forums, but I just felt that if we are discussing Arthur, it is only right to spell his name correctly.

Edited by norbold
  • Like 1

I’ve really enjoyed this thread. I did know a little about Arthur Forrest but I had no idea he was so good at such a young age, or that he retired so young. Anyone know why he retired ? Even though he appears to have already  peaked when he retired I imagine he could have been a top dog and earned a decent living in the early years off the Provincial league.

That's a good point El Addio- certainly riders his age were in the Prov. League and did well, some even older-a good example being Jim Squibb who was born in 1921 (I think)

On 8/11/2020 at 2:54 PM, E I Addio said:

I’ve really enjoyed this thread. I did know a little about Arthur Forrest but I had no idea he was so good at such a young age, or that he retired so young. Anyone know why he retired ? Even though he appears to have already  peaked when he retired I imagine he could have been a top dog and earned a decent living in the early years off the Provincial league.

Like you Addio i  had no real Idea about Arthur Forrest,  he was mega exciting to watch retired young never really know how to evaluate him one thing was he was certainly Exciting to watch.!!,

Edited by Sidney the robin

1 minute ago, Sidney the robin said:

Some nice footage of Arthur on the superb Halifax DVD a great watch great footage of Carter v Lee and Nielsen in the Golden helmet.

It's a while since I've seen the DVD but I enjoyed the interviews with Eric Boocock who has a very dry sense of humour!