British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Mauger and Grand Prix system

17 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Life's all about opinions Steve. I find the GP's boring, but i appreciate a lot of people love them. I really enjoyed attending the British youth championship at Scunthorpe last Sunday, but some fans wouldn't cross the road to watch it.

Sone GP's ARE boring. So were some World Finals. So was a lot of the other speedway we watched.

Last year's Wroclaw GP was the best meeting I have ever seen. There have been some other fantastic GP's as well.

Now you've hit on something else with that last paragraph, and it actually indicates the problem with speedway - both for speedway fans and non- speedway fans.

As a speedway fan, I am happy to watch ANY speedway, regardless of the level, and regardless of big names. The trouble is that people will often find something boring because they WANT to find it boring.

You say you find the GP's "are boring". Does that mean you find ALL GP's boring? Does that mean you find a speedway meeting boring BECAUSE it is a GP? Did you watch Wroclaw? If so, did you find it boring, and why?

Some speedway fans are only interested in watching the top boys. I know you are not like that, but there is a lot more to speedway than half a dozen riders.

Some find team racing boring. Some find individual racing boring. It doesn't matter who is racing, or who they are racing for, it's SPEEDWAY!

Please don't think I'm having a dig at you, Tony, because I'm not, but I am just wondering why - if indeed you did - find Wroclaw (and other great GP's) boring.

Finally, as I said, this also seems to afflict non-speedway people. They say speedway is boring because they WANT to find it boring, and/or have this pre-conceived notion that it is boring.

Edited by chunky

6 minutes ago, chunky said:

Sone GP's ARE boring. So were some World Finals. So was a lot of the other speedway we watched.

Last year's Wroclaw GP was the best meeting I have ever seen. There have been some other fantastic GP's as well.

Now you've hit on something else with that last paragraph, and it actually indicates the problem with speedway - both for speedway fans and non- speedway fans.

As a speedway fan, I am happy to watch ANY speedway, regardless of the level, and regardless of big names. The trouble is that people will often find something boring because they WANT to find it boring.

You say you find the GP's "are boring". Does that mean you find ALL GP's boring? Does that mean you find a speedway meeting BECAUSE it is boring? Did you watch Wroclaw? If so, did you find it boring, and why?

Some speedway fans are only interested in watching the top boys. I know you are not like that, but there is a lot more to speedway than half a dozen riders.

Some find team racing boring. Some find individual racing boring. It doesn't matter who is racing, or who they are racing for, it's SPEEDWAY!

Please don't think I'm having a dig at you, Tony, because I'm not, but I am just wondering why - if indeed you did - find Wroclaw (and other great GP's) boring.

Finally, as I said, this also seems to afflict non-speedway people. They say speedway is boring because they WANT to find it boring, and/or have this pre-conceived notion that it is boring.

I tape every GP Steve, but i never get round to watching them. It's the concept that bores me. I haven't watched any of the streamed Polish League meetings. I've only ever been interested in domestic league racing. I've been to plenty of overseas speedway venues in the past, but i knocked that on the head years ago. Prehaps it's because I'm too stuck in my ways, like a lot of speedway fans. 

Just now, cityrebel said:

Prehaps it's because I'm too stuck in my ways, like a lot of speedway fans. 

Nail on the head, mate! That's exactly what I was getting at!

As I said, on the face of it, I "prefer" World Finals because of me going to Wembley, but as a "speedway fan", I want to be open to ALL speedway. Sure, some meetings I watch are crap, and I will say it. However, PLEASE do me a favour and watch last year's Wroclaw GP. It had everything. For old people like me and norbold to say how incredible it was, that should tell you something.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chunky said:

Nail on the head, mate! That's exactly what I was getting at!

As I said, on the face of it, I "prefer" World Finals because of me going to Wembley, but as a "speedway fan", I want to be open to ALL speedway. Sure, some meetings I watch are crap, and I will say it. However, PLEASE do me a favour and watch last year's Wroclaw GP. It had everything. For old people like me and norbold to say how incredible it was, that should tell you something.

To be honest with you Steve, I'm a live sport man. I don't really enjoy watching televised Football or Speedway. I'd much rather go and watch a live event. If the GP was held at a decent track like the NSS, I'd probably go. After 10 visits to the poor temporary track at Cardiff, i decided I'd had enough.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

To be honest with you Steve, I'm a live sport man. I don't really enjoy watching televised Football or Speedway. I'd much rather go and watch a live event. If the GP was held at a decent track like the NSS, I'd probably go. After 10 visits to the poor temporary track at Cardiff, i decided I'd had enough.

Who isn't? Sometimes you have to take what you can get...

8 minutes ago, chunky said:

Who isn't? Sometimes you have to take what you can get...

That's why i went to Scunny on Sunday. My 2nd live meeting of the year. I'm hoping for 3rd!

13 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Honestly CITY   you have totally knocked it on the head  spot on,.I i have only been to, Cardiff  four times .I don't want to go anymore  well overrated.

OVERPRICED fans being ripped off certainy track wise Forget Cardiff.!!!

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

I was a fan of the GP system when it started, but I've started to tire of it the last few years. It's not so much the one off world final that I miss, more the qualifiers along the way.

It was always fascinating during the last round of heats trying to second guess which riders who were 'safe' were possibly going to do a fellow countryman or club mate who were desperate for points a 'favour'. Fair enough it was cheating but it just seemed part of the occasion in those days.

Speaking of race fixing, something has always bothered me about the infamous 1982 Overseas final 'scandal.' Bruce Penhall has mentioned in print on a few occasions that he wasn't happy (he even used the word furious in his autobiography) with the finishing order of that race, he said the other riders didn't stick to the agreed order.

I don't get what he means. Obviously Sigalos had to win as he was only on 5pts and with Kelly and Shawn both on 6 it didn't really matter who came second, one of them was going to be joining PC and Les in the run-off...The only way I can see of guaranteeing all three qualifying would have been if the Morans had dead - heated for second and scored 7.5 points each..Although I can't imagine that's what Bruce meant!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Honestly CITY   you have totally knocked it on the head  spot on,.I i have only been to, Cardiff  four times .I don't want to go to more times well overrated.

I also went to the two at Hackney Sid, plus one each at both Bradford and Coventry.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Terry said:

I was a fan of the GP system when it started, but I've started to tire of it the last few years. It's not so much the one off world final that I miss, more the qualifiers along the way.

It was always fascinating during the last round of heats trying to second guess which riders who were 'safe' were possibly going to do a fellow countryman or club mate who were desperate for points a 'favour'. Fair enough it was cheating but it just seemed part of the occasion in those days.

Speaking of race fixing, something has always bothered me about the infamous 1982 Overseas final 'scandal.' Bruce Penhall has mentioned in print on a few occasions that he wasn't happy (he even used the word furious in his autobiography) with the finishing order of that race, he said the other riders didn't stick to the agreed order.

I don't get what he means. Obviously Sigalos had to win as he was only on 5pts and with Kelly and Shawn both on 6 it didn't really matter who came second, one of them was going to be joining PC and Les in the run-off...The only way I can see of guaranteeing all three qualifying would have been if the Morans had dead - heated for second and scored 7.5 points each..Although I can't imagine that's what Bruce meant!

I was there that day, it certainly was a surreal moment. The golden boy couldn't believe the crowds reaction.

8 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

I was there that day, it certainly was a surreal moment. The golden boy couldn't believe the crowds reaction.

Apparently Kelly Moran was reduced to tears back in the pits by the crowds reaction.

On the flip side, I don't think I'd ever seen Kenny Carter grin so much on the victory parade!

1 hour ago, Sidney the robin said:

Honestly CITY   you have totally knocked it on the head  spot on,.I i have only been to, Cardiff  four times .I don't want to go to more times well overrated.

I went to Cardiff in 2003, I think it was, when Nicki Pedersen won. Not that impressed I seem to recall.

I used to enjoy all my speedway (second halves included) but I guess once I moved away from Oxford I got out of the habit as many do and just have my memories and vast collection of DVDs. Never subscribed to SKY so never got to watch many meetings that they covered...GP's or otherwise.

Edited by steve roberts

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

I also went to the two at Hackney Sid, plus one each at both Bradford and Coventry.

I enjoyed my visit to Coventry (except that Dugard won!), but the trip to Hackney wasn't great as we couldn't see sh!t...

7 hours ago, chunky said:

I enjoyed my visit to Coventry (except that Dugard won!), but the trip to Hackney wasn't great as we couldn't see sh!t...

The Gollob v Boyce punch up was tremendous entertainment!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cityrebel said:

The Gollob v Boyce punch up was tremendous entertainment!

Was that on par with the WILKIE( RIP  bless him) and Cowland incident in the Belle Vue v Leicester encounter.?

Edited by Sidney the robin