British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Mauger and Grand Prix system

16 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Was that on par with the WILKIE( RIP  bless him) and Cowland incident in the Belle Vue v Leicester encounter.?

Personally I think that it was more calculated Sid. The Belle Vue incident appeared to be more heat of the moment stuff...just my opinion.

I don't know for who sure but I know the quote

"The more I practice the luckier I get"

I believe it's Jack Nicholas

1 hour ago, Technik said:

Close. It was Gary Player - I think!

On 8/13/2020 at 7:51 PM, cityrebel said:

I tape every GP Steve, but i never get round to watching them. It's the concept that bores me. I haven't watched any of the streamed Polish League meetings. I've only ever been interested in domestic league racing. I've been to plenty of overseas speedway venues in the past, but i knocked that on the head years ago. Prehaps it's because I'm too stuck in my ways, like a lot of speedway fans. 

City as i have said only been to Cardiff four times one of them was when the Bomber won it and that was a great occasion.Also went to Torun two years ago when Tai won the title again a great night the racing was not that great the weekend and looking around Torun was more memorable than the racing.I think the series has to change something for me, it is in  a bit of a rut roll of the mill stuff at times.The old system was totally flawed but i loved the concept of a under dog having his day sometimes going back to yesteryear the British Final was a ultra mega tough meeting as good as most.My memories of the old WC system was remembering Simon Wigg and Martin Yeates qualifying along the way as national league riders a great achievement that made the world championship special for me.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

City as i have said only been to Cardiff four times one them was when the Bomber won it and that was a great occasion.Also went to Torun two years ago when Tai won the title again a great night the racing was not that great the weekend and looking around Torun was more memorable than the racing.I think the series has to change something for me, it is in  a bit of a rut roll of the mill stuff at times.The old system was totally flawed but i loved the concept of a under dog having his day sometimes going back to yesteryear the British Final was a ultra mega tough meeting as good as most.My memories of the old WC system was remembering Simon Wigg and Martin Yeates qualifying along the way as national league riders a great achievement that made the world championship special for me.

I remember Stoke rider Paul Thorp getting all the way to the Intercontinental final one year. I always enjoyed watching Martin Yeates ride, he had a great style. Little known fact about him, he never broke any bones throughout his career!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Technik said:

2 hours ago, salty said:

Close. It was Gary Player - I think!

Certainly not Jack NICKLAUS but apparently not Gary Player either: https://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/07/14/luck/

2 hours ago, Terry said:

I remember Stoke rider Paul Thorp getting all the way to the Intercontinental final one year. I always enjoyed watching Martin Yeates ride, he had a great style. Little known fact about him, he never broke any bones throughout his career!

Yes Terry forgot about Paul,he really stepped up with riders like Cross ( etc) Yeates was a rider i always liked was great for the Robins but really he was only a really good number 1 rider at NL level.He never quite conquered the top league ( i.e. ) a bit like John Jackson another NL great.When Martin qualified for the Overseas final he really had mastered the top league was good anough a great servant to.

2 hours ago, Terry said:

Martin Yeates was superlative when riding for Oxford in 1977 but struggled when he missed the gate which wasn't very often!

• Like 1

On 8/14/2020 at 5:53 PM, Terry said:

Yep, Paul Thorp's run was merited and I think Andrew Silver might have got as far as the Overseas Final whilst a lower division rider? As much as i liked Martin Yeates as a rider, he only got as far as the Overseas thanks to freak conditions at the 84 British Final. And at the Overseas, he was way out of his depth. Brilliant the year before at the NL Pairs at Hyde Road, but that was definitely his level.

9 minutes ago, falcace said:

Yep, Paul Thorp's run was merited and I think Andrew Silver might have got as far as the Overseas Final whilst a lower division rider? As much as i liked Martin Yeates as a rider, he only got as far as the Overseas thanks to freak conditions at the 84 British Final. And at the Overseas, he was way out of his depth. Brilliant the year before at the NL Pairs at Hyde Road, but that was definitely his level.

He almost won the pairs at Hackney in 85, til his partner Stan Bear clattered into Louis Carr on the final bend. That was during the 4-3-2-0 scoring system when riders in last place made some desperate moves!

5 minutes ago, falcace said:

Hey hang on there. Yeatesy made it to the Overseas Final on merit. The conditions were the same for everyone on the night. He just coped with those conditions better than others.  Another thing to remember is that he did it at a time when there were still about 16 teams in the top division so there were a lot more top league riders competing than in later years. At the Overseas Final he got a decent second place in his first ride but then found things things a bit too tough. Not unlike at least some riders in every qualifying round there has ever been. 

I would agree that Martin was a very good NL rider who didn’t make a consistent splash in the BL but like a lot of competitors in a lot of sports he had his moments and it is not really fair to pt down one of the highlights of his career. Not many people can say they finished 4th (or 5th) in a British Championship. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Terry said:

He almost won the pairs at Hackney in 85, til his partner Stan Bear clattered into Louis Carr on the final bend. That was during the 4-3-2-0 scoring system when riders in last place made some desperate moves!

I can't quite say why, but the pairs and fours at NL/Div2 level have always been much more watchable than at BL/Div1 level.

2 minutes ago, Wessex Wanderer said:

Hey hang on there. Yeatesy made it to the Overseas Final on merit. The conditions were the same for everyone on the night. He just coped with those conditions better than others.  Another thing to remember is that he did it at a time when there were still about 16 teams in the top division so there were a lot more top league riders competing than in later years. At the Overseas Final he got a decent second place in his first ride but then found things things a bit too tough. Not unlike at least some riders in every qualifying round there has ever been. 

I would agree that Martin was a very good NL rider who didn’t make a consistent splash in the BL but like a lot of competitors in a lot of sports he had his moments and it is not really fair to pt down one of the highlights of his career. Not many people can say they finished 4th (or 5th) in a British Championship. 

AND was only one of two riders to beat Kenny Carter in the 1984 British Final!

4 minutes ago, falcace said:

I can't quite say why, but the pairs and fours at NL/Div2 level have always been much more watchable than at BL/Div1 level.

Yeah I particularly enjoyed the pairs (Peterborough seemed to have an unfair advantage in the fours.) Saying that Hackney hosted the pairs in 84/85/86 and 89 and never won.

Ironically we won in 1990 when it was at Glasgow, which was a bit too far for me..So I bought the video :)

• Like 1