British Speedway Forum

4 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Why would you not bother for just one meeting? One meeting is better than none surely? I’d imagine riders would jump at the chance of competing in the British final!

The kind of money riders expect these days might not be worth while for one meeting, unless good money on offer.Interesting!!!

Looking forward to this depending on the line up. Personally, despite it being a national title, I wouldn't blame riders for not riding a one off meeting. Depending on schedules, will we see Lambert? I guess Rybnik may be relegated by then so he may be back for that. Ellis appears to be ruled out for the season. I would suggest a high prize fund may hopefully help develop a strong line up.  

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

Why would you not bother for just one meeting? One meeting is better than none surely? I’d imagine riders would jump at the chance of competing in the British final!

A lot for them to consider for a one off meeting at the end of September on an 'autumn' track I would think, not least of all if their thousands of pounds of kit might be better off mothballed for the following year..

Especially as some will have had little track time to prepare and get race fit both physically and mentally, so may feel their chances of success are not what possibly they would be in a full normal season.. 

Wonder if the GP wild card transfers over from last year to next meaning Charles Wright will still take his place when/if Cardiff happens..?

Would be very unfair if he misses out but it would generate some encouragement to attend if they used this years final to hand out the wild card slot..

Of course Charles could win it again..!!

As has been said, a very good prize fund/points money, over and above the usual BSPL pay rates, would deliver the biggest interest I would think..

It will just be good to get some 'pro speedway' back in the UK, and the BSPL have definitely picked the right venue given the size of the stadium, and geographical location, with a good few 'local' tracks' worth of fans desperate to see some Speedway, so lets hope they get rewarded at the turnstiles and showcase the sport well...

15 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Wonder if the GP wild card transfers over from last year to next meaning Charles Wright will still take his place when/if Cardiff happens..?

Would be very unfair if he misses out but it would generate some encouragement to attend if they used this years final to hand out the wild card slot..

Of course Charles could win it again..!!

Wright rode in last year's Cardiff GP as British champion (remember last year's GP was late, so after British Final)

16 minutes ago, mikebv said:

So who rode in last year's Cardiff GP as a wildcard and scored 5 points? :blink:

2 hours ago, Gunner85 said:

For some riders it would be the only meeting of the year..... will they bother?

Can't see it, a very watered down event even by recent standards. 

I wouldn't be racing in it if it was my profession. 

1 hour ago, arnieg said:

Wright rode in last year's Cardiff GP as British champion (remember last year's GP was late, so after British Final)

Doh!

Must have missed that one..:D:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, 2ndbendbeerhut said:

So who rode in last year's Cardiff GP as a wildcard and scored 5 points? :blink:

.:oops:..

They've already said that they've had a mixed reception from prospective competitors.  I think some of the bigger more experienced names will be missing but some, like Harris will undoubtedly want to be in it.  Perhaps Chris Louis & Mark Loram could get a one day licence :D

52 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

They've already said that they've had a mixed reception from prospective competitors.  I think some of the bigger more experienced names will be missing but some, like Harris will undoubtedly want to be in it.  Perhaps Chris Louis & Mark Loram could get a one day licence :D

Put John Louis in it... Ipswich legend.. bound to pull in a crowd

1 hour ago, SPEEDY69 said:

If a few of the big names were not there I'd say Chris would be good for a rostrum place :)

If a few big names are missing...... could have a line up of Witches past and 'present'

Hume
Kennett 
Ellis
Schlein 
King
Mountain
Nielsen
Newman 
Lawson
Greaves
Barker
Kerr
Harris
R Worrall
Kemp
Nicholls

Can I ask exactly where the details of the British Championship being held at Ipswich are? 

I have looked on the speedwaygb site and also on the Ipswich website and neither make any mention of it and while other places can do good advertising I would have thought that the two I mention should be among the first places for such news to appear.

Edited by Chris116

58 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

Can I ask exactly where the details of the British Championship being held at Ipswich are? 

I have looked on the speedwaygb site and also on the Ipswich website and neither make any mention of it and while other places can do good advertising I would have thought that the two I mention should be among the first places for such news to appear.

Just on government proposed listing at the moment - wont appear on SGB or Ipswich sites until full confirmation granted

• Thanks 1