British Speedway Forum

41 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I’ve purchased the stream as I want to watch the meeting. If it’s a cr@p stream of poor quality I’ll know not to bother in future. If it’s good, then it’s something I’ll consider more of in the future if it’s an avenue they go down moving forward. 

I understand the others points of view on pricing though it is on the steep side. 

Can't get a quality burger and chips at home like being there though...... 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sommelier said:

I think you are long way off, the cost of riders wages in Poland is tenfold to the UK!!

yes but it's subsidised by the TV DEAL money !! 

£12.95 is a hefty price but this country has become very expensive, £12.95 is what a decent pub meal costs nowadays.

I have had Premier Sports since June and their value for money is amazing. Fantastic polish league action with top riders for only £11.99. 

1 hour ago, geoff58 said:

yes but it's subsidised by the TV DEAL money !! 

Yes & what did we do with all the Sky money!!!

5 hours ago, Najjer said:

Again, just a comparison. Premier Sports is as standard £11.99 per month which includes about 16 Polish matches a month aswell as 4 Swedish matches. 20 matches in total. Yet the 'British Championship' is more than that for a single meeting. What an absolute shambles that is.

Difference being Premier Sports buy a ready made tv production off the shelf then just have Dave doing commentary so there production costs are peanuts.

Compare that to the cost of setting up Foxhall for a one off event add to that hosting costs etc online and I’d suggest that at £13 the break even point for this will be fairly high and it’s very unlikely the BSPA will be making much if any profit at all 

A more realistic comparison would be the cost of other sporting events to stream such as Ice Hockey at £10-£15 a match, Football (£10-£20 a match for Scottish Premiership) are all in the same ballpark 

• Like 3

I will subscribe, would've been happy to spend £30 if I'd got tickets so £13 isn't too bad for the household. I wonder if the rumoured Aussies will be guests rather than have a chance to be British Champ. 

Edited by SPEEDY69
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

I will subscribe, would've been happy to spend £30 if I'd got tickets so £13 isn't too bad for the household. I wonder if the rumoured Aussies will be guests rather than have a chance to be British Champ. 

Which Aussies are riding? Schlein, Crump and Bachelor all have a claim to be British, so I guess they could be seen as more than guests.

We should be grateful they are riding, with the likes of Wright and Cook declining to take part and with Ellis out injured.

Does anyone have the full line-up?

I am tempted to watch, but will probably decide nearer the time. Is twelve quid really that much? A Chinese takeaway costs more than that.

British Champions:

1961 Barry Briggs

1964    Barry Briggs
1965    Barry Briggs
1966    Barry Briggs
1967    Barry Briggs
1968    Ivan Mauger
1969    Barry Briggs
1970    Ivan Mauger
1971    Ivan Mauger
1972    Ivan Mauger

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, iainb said:

British Champions:

1961 Barry Briggs

1964    Barry Briggs
1965    Barry Briggs
1966    Barry Briggs
1967    Barry Briggs
1968    Ivan Mauger
1969    Barry Briggs
1970    Ivan Mauger
1971    Ivan Mauger
1972    Ivan Mauger

All the Commonwealth boys rode on British licences up until the 'seventies.  It was only then that these countries joined the FIM directly, instead of going through the ACU.   Ole Olsen won the Australian Championship in 1976, Ken MacKinlay in 1964.

• Like 2

Heeps has British heritage too (hence he was able to ride in the NL)

• Like 1

A few Brits have rode over in the Australian state championships recently, also Joe Screen actually finished 3rd in the Aussie Championships in 2008.

Don't see the problem including the Australian's with British passports especially given the lack of standard this year with no Woffinden, Lambert? , Cook, Wright, Ellis etc. 

2 hours ago, iainb said:

British Champions:

1961 Barry Briggs

1964    Barry Briggs
1965    Barry Briggs
1966    Barry Briggs
1967    Barry Briggs
1968    Ivan Mauger
1969    Barry Briggs
1970    Ivan Mauger
1971    Ivan Mauger
1972    Ivan Mauger

You've missed out Peter Craven in 1962 and 1963.  Although held over three British Semi-Finals rather than a single British Final, those are considered as official British Championships. Don't airbrush Peter Craven's two British Championships out of history. 

29 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

You've missed out Peter Craven in 1962 and 1963.  Although held over three British Semi-Finals rather than a single British Final, those are considered as official British Championships. Don't airbrush Peter Craven's two British Championships out of history. 

Peter Craven was British