British Speedway Forum

I really can’t understand all the fuss over the cost. How many people will watch this alone? I’d guess most will watch with at least one member of family, which cuts the cost to £7.50 per person. 

Even if you watch alone it’s cheaper than going to a meeting.

Fair enough moaning afterwards if the quality is crap but for once (shock horror, never thought I’d say it) I’m defending the BSPA.

• Like 1

People will always moan about the cost, as they do with admission prices etc. Because they simply don't understand the behind the scenes costs, especially in this case to stream a one off meeting. You have people on here comparing it to the £11.99 they pay for Premier Sports, that tells us all we need to know!

Ice Hockey webcasts are a similar one-off price, at around £12.50 and around £18-22 for admission.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grachan said:

Which Aussies are riding? Schlein, Crump and Bachelor all have a claim to be British, so I guess they could be seen as more than guests.

We should be grateful they are riding, with the likes of Wright and Cook declining to take part and with Ellis out injured.

Does anyone have the full line-up?

I am tempted to watch, but will probably decide nearer the time. Is twelve quid really that much? A Chinese takeaway costs more than that.

They are announcing riders one at a time.  Crump and Batchelor are Aussies.  There was a reason that Australasians competed for the British title before but that doesn't apply now.  Schlein is different.  Whatever the line-up I'm grateful there'll be something of interest to watch and which is happening on my doorstep - albeit I can't be there because the virus will obviously know if the attendance goes over 1000.  (It's very clever - I was in the pub and there were 42 of us in the same room but it wouldn't dare touch us but if we had the parents around in our garden to make a group of seven we'd be fuc&ed.:rolleyes:)

Edited by SPEEDY69
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Star Lady said:

I really can’t understand all the fuss over the cost. How many people will watch this alone? I’d guess most will watch with at least one member of family, which cuts the cost to £7.50 per person. 

Even if you watch alone it’s cheaper than going to a meeting.

Fair enough moaning afterwards if the quality is crap but for once (shock horror, never thought I’d say it) I’m defending the BSPA.

I would - Are you seriously comparing watching a live stream to actually being there in the flesh and watching it live? The two experiences are uncomparible.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Marksman said:

People will always moan about the cost, as they do with admission prices etc. Because they simply don't understand the behind the scenes costs, especially in this case to stream a one off meeting. You have people on here comparing it to the £11.99 they pay for Premier Sports, that tells us all we need to know!

Ice Hockey webcasts are a similar one-off price, at around £12.50 and around £18-22 for admission.

I wouldn't say it is to do with people understanding the cost, as much as it is they don't care  how much it costs to produce. 

Your example of Premier is a decent one, people will look at it and see what they get from Premier, the content, quality and cost they pay and wonder why they should bother with this service when looking at what they pay for that v this service. Your Ice Hockey example, again, no one cares what Ice Hockey matches cost other than people who watch Ice Hockey, it is being mentioned as a decent cost model, Ice Hockey in this country is crap, it isn't really a great model to point at and say "well that is what they do" 

"ahh well they should care" is a likely reply and maybe people should care,  but then you can't change how people feel. The general reaction to the offer a streaming service and cost, it hasn't been great.... I doubt there will be a great uptake. 

Edited by Hacksaw Jim Duggan

But the list was highlighting foreign winners......

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

But the list was highlighting foreign winners......

Oh I see.  It didn't say that in his post.  EDIT: And they were foreign at all, but made that point in a fresh post.

Edited by lucifer sam

1 hour ago, SPEEDY69 said:

They are announcing riders one at a time.  Crump and Batchelor are Aussies.  There was a reason that Australasians competed for the British title before but that doesn't apply now.  Schlein is different.  Whatever the line-up I'm grateful there'll be something of interest to watch and which is happening on my doorstep - albeit I can't be there because the virus will obviously know if the attendance goes over 1000.  (It's very clever - I was in the pub and there were 42 of us in the same room but it wouldn't dare touch us but if we had the parents around in our garden to make a group of seven we'd be fuc&ed.:rolleyes:)

Bachelor and, I assume, Crump are both British citizens so if there are going to be replacements needed they seem like pretty good ones.

How is Schlein different?

I makes more sense saying Peter Craven was English, because Aussies & Kiwis were classed as British in those days.

Anyway, I'll be getting the stream. I spend that amount on my saturday night curry..I'll just have egg and chips instead :P

2 hours ago, Najjer said:

I would - Are you seriously comparing watching a live stream to actually being there in the flesh and watching it live? The two experiences are uncomparible.

Not suggesting they are comparable in the slightest. It’s much more comfortable watching from a sofa, in the warm, clean toilets and Deliveroo bringing the burgers:P

Will you be watching alone or are you not bothering?