British Speedway Forum

14 minutes ago, Star Lady said:

Not suggesting they are comparable in the slightest. It’s much more comfortable watching from a sofa, in the warm, clean toilets and Deliveroo bringing the burgers:P

Will you be watching alone or are you not bothering? 

I would of been interested at what I deem value for money and a sensible price. For the price that is being offered, I will not be watching.

I genuinely believe one of the few things that could revitalise and save British Speedway is some form of streaming/subscription service where every match in the top tier or both tiers are shown for a subscription cost. I think if priced correctly you'd have people all around the country watching most matches. But you have to get the pricing right.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

But the list was highlighting foreign winners......

No foreign winners in it. All British Commonwealth at a time the British Final was effectively the British Commonwealth Final and all Australian and New Zealand riders competed under British ACU licences, because they didn't have their own ACUs, which were only created later on.

Ivan Mauger was very annoyed the way he was cast out of the British World Team Cup squad when England had enough good riders of its own.  It made his 1979 victory with New Zealand all the sweeter.

3 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

No foreign winners in it. All British Commonwealth at a time the British Final was effectively the British Commonwealth Final and all Australian and New Zealand riders competed under British ACU licences, because they didn't have their own ACUs, which were only created later on.

Ivan Mauger was very annoyed the way he was cast out of the British World Team Cup squad when England had enough good riders of its own.  It made his 1979 victory with New Zealand all the sweeter.

Yes but Peter Craven was British.

4 hours ago, Star Lady said:

I really can’t understand all the fuss over the cost. How many people will watch this alone? I’d guess most will watch with at least one member of family, which cuts the cost to £7.50 per person. 

Even if you watch alone it’s cheaper than going to a meeting.

Fair enough moaning afterwards if the quality is crap but for once (shock horror, never thought I’d say it) I’m defending the BSPA.

Star Lady, I think it's decent value - I'll be watching.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nw42 said:

Yes but Peter Craven was British.

Sigh - yes I know he was. 

And so were Barry Briggs and Ivan Mauger in speedway terms!

Briggo even finished second as BBC British Sports Personality Of The Year twice!

Edited by lucifer sam

And again 

1 hour ago, Najjer said:

I would of been interested at what I deem value for money and a sensible price. For the price that is being offered, I will not be watching.

I genuinely believe one of the few things that could revitalise and save British Speedway is some form of streaming/subscription service where every match in the top tier or both tiers are shown for a subscription cost. I think if priced correctly you'd have people all around the country watching most matches. But you have to get the pricing right.

But priced correctly means covering the hosting, broadcast and security, collecting payments costs and then making enough of a profit to make it a worthwhile investment. And that is not a fiver. Football can afford to subsidise its streaming because clubs already receive huge amounts from tv for each game. And even they charge  around £10 a game for EFL, so I think they have the pricing about right, the fact people don't want to pay suggests it may not be the cash cow you think

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Grachan said:

Bachelor and, I assume, Crump are both British citizens so if there are going to be replacements needed they seem like pretty good ones.

How is Schlein different?

Schlein is possibly the original whinging pom

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Grachan said:

Bachelor and, I assume, Crump are both British citizens so if there are going to be replacements needed they seem like pretty good ones.

How is Schlein different?

Already ridden in the British Final. So, with dual nationality then, is it feasible they could ride for two teams at the SON? 

15 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Already ridden in the British Final. So, with dual nationality then, is it feasible they could ride for two teams at the SON? 

No problem with them riding for Australia

31 minutes ago, SPEEDY69 said:

They are British. No problem here.

In fact, if I do watch it the main reason will be to see Crump and Batch.

What difference does it make that Schlein has ridden in it before? Batch only became a British citizen this week so he couldn't have before now.

Under normal circumstances, with all the British riders available and a place at Cardiff at stake, maybe I might feel differently, but for this meeting it's great to have them in it.

Let's face it, they are happy to ride and they are British citizens.

wonder what the odds are for Crump to be at and win Cardiff 2021

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

British #speedway final line-up

Jason Crump
Rory Schlein
Ryan Sullivan
Todd Wiltshire
Joel Parsons
Troy Batchelor
Josh Grajczonek
Ty Proctor
Taylor Poole
Mick Poole
Craig Boyce
Mark Lemon
Jason Lyons
Cameron Woodward
Shane Parker
Davey Watt

Updates via @SpeedwayUpdates

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, Hacksaw Jim Duggan said:

I wouldn't say it is to do with people understanding the cost, as much as it is they don't care  how much it costs to produce. 

Your example of Premier is a decent one, people will look at it and see what they get from Premier, the content, quality and cost they pay and wonder why they should bother with this service when looking at what they pay for that v this service. Your Ice Hockey example, again, no one cares what Ice Hockey matches cost other than people who watch Ice Hockey, it is being mentioned as a decent cost model, Ice Hockey in this country is crap, it isn't really a great model to point at and say "well that is what they do" 

"ahh well they should care" is a likely reply and maybe people should care,  but then you can't change how people feel. The general reaction to the offer a streaming service and cost, it hasn't been great.... I doubt there will be a great uptake. 

Your ignorance of ice hockey in the UK is pretty complete, the big league matches all pull in crowds of between two and five thousand fans every week. 

If that's crap, where does it leave speedway? 

On 9/14/2020 at 4:48 AM, cityrebel said:

Got my ticket confirmed late last night. Section G.

See you there. Think we are on row 3.