British Speedway Forum

1 minute ago, lucifer sam said:

Blimey, so a legend in the shape of Jason Crump is announced and some are still moaning :o

If there was no moaning on this forum, Rob, it would have to close down through lack of contributions.

• Haha 2

Anyway, just to summarise what a few seem to be missing:

• There’s a very rich heritage of Commonwealth riders in the British Final. From 1961 to 1974, it was, in effect, the British Commonwealth Final. Barry Briggs and Ivan Mauger won 10 out of the 14 championships from this era – with Peter Craven, Ray Wilson and Eric Boocock winning the other four. Briggo, Ivan and all weren’t considered to be foreign, but considered to the British. They rode for Great Britain in the World Team Cup – the 1971 winning squad considered of World Cup Willie, one Australian and three New Zealanders. Briggo even twice finished second in the BBC British Sports Personality Of The Year in 1964 and 1966 – he was considered eligible for the main award because he rode for Britain.
  • British riders (and indeed from other nationalities) have competed in the Australian and New Championships over the years. Joe Screen finished third in the Australian Final as recently as 2008. Dan Bewley is the current South Australian state champion. Jason Bunyan holds a record 10 New Zealand Championships, and Andrew Appleton and James Sarjeant have also won it during the 21st century. As far as I know, none of these riders had dual nationality.
  • Again, as far as I know, Rory Schlein, Jason Crump and Troy Batchelor all hold dual nationality.
  • Jason Crump is a three-time World Champion and his presence adds quality to any line-up.
  • Several leading British riders have turned down the 2020 British Final, and punters deserve a line-up worthy of their £20. Arguably the presence of the legendary Crump alone is worth £20.
  • This is a rather unique year.
Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

• There’s a very rich heritage of Commonwealth riders in the British Final. From 1961 to 1974, it was, in effect, the British Commonwealth Final. Barry Briggs and Ivan Mauger won 10 out of the 14 championships from this era – with Peter Craven, Ray Wilson and Eric Boocock winning the other four. Briggo, Ivan and all weren’t considered to be foreign, but considered to the British. They rode for Great Britain in the World Team Cup – the 1971 winning squad considered of World Cup Willie, one Australian and three New Zealanders. Briggo even twice finished second in the BBC British Sports Personality Of The Year in 1964 and 1966 – he was considered eligible for the main award because he rode for Britain.
  • British riders (and indeed from other nationalities) have competed in the Australian and New Championships over the years. Joe Screen finished third in the Australian Final as recently as 2008. Dan Bewley is the current South Australian state champion. Jason Bunyan holds a record 10 New Zealand Championships, and Andrew Appleton and James Sarjeant have also won it during the 21st century. As far as I know, none of these riders had dual nationality.
  • Again, as far as I know, Rory Schlein, Jason Crump and Troy Batchelor all hold dual nationality.
  • Jason Crump is a three-time World Champion and his presence adds quality to any line-up.
  • Several leading British riders have turned down the 2020 British Final, and punters deserve a line-up worthy of their £20. Arguably the presence of the legendary Crump alone is worth £20.

Totally agree, but looking at a lot of the posts online I fear you are wasting your time.

I say let those who want to watch enjoy it and the others can carry on mumbling into their coffee about how three British citizens aren't properly British and it should be National League riders.

I see the Belle Vue meeting is also now for sale to watch online at a tenner.

I hope this is successful and could be something worth considering next year. I'd certainly pay to watch a few Swindon matches online.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

While I accept your points, my gripe with it is that I have yet to see anyone in the line-up who is a worthy national champion. I know there's a former champion and he's a nice lad and there are some who previously wouldn't have been eligible but none of them is anything other than on the downward stretch. It's really just an open meeting and seemingly anyone with a bike is being considered.

I have followed the debate with interest. Sadly there does not appear to be a resolution from Posters. However, an 'elderly Crystal Palace area poster' will not be devoting any major attention to the meeting.

As an aside, for how many seasons has this championship been staged and is there a winners' tabulation?

This is, as people have said many times, the biggest disruption to our lifestyle since World War II.

During the Second World War, the British Championships were won 3 times by a Canadian.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Fozzie4388 said:

British #speedway final line-up

Jason Crump
Rory Schlein
Ryan Sullivan
Todd Wiltshire
Joel Parsons
Troy Batchelor
Josh Grajczonek
Ty Proctor
Taylor Poole
Mick Poole
Craig Boyce
Mark Lemon
Jason Lyons
Cameron Woodward
Shane Parker
Davey Watt

Updates via @SpeedwayUpdates

What about Jake Allen or Cameron Heeps on their home track or have they not been asked? :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

What about Jake Allen or Cameron Heeps on their home track or have they not been asked? :rolleyes:

Wouldn't surprise me if Cam was included.....

4 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

No point Jake taking part he'd walk it.

Personally I don't really care who's in the meeting, I just want to be there to see some live speedway and that's just what I'm going to do weather permitting. 

We always that knew once it was given the go ahead that there would be some significant absentees.

Let's be honest it was only ever going to be a token title with nothing much to be gained. 

Lambert, already in GP's next year, probably not interested. 

Cook, lame excuse and a pussy anyway. 

Ellis, injured, I'm sure he would have been there though. 

Just to name but a few. 

Edited by Super Blue

With the list that Fozzie produced, I'm surprised he missed them out. ;)

1 minute ago, Fozzie4388 said:

No point Jake taking part he'd walk it.

Head & shoulders above everyone else. :t:

21 minutes ago, The Cheese said:

If there's a few Australians riding then maybe Woffinden will be interested this year :)

Just testing my bait!

That's the thing, isn't it!

Woffinden - grows up in Australia, chooses to ride for Team GB, and people say he is Australian.

Crump - grows up in England, choose to ride for Australia, and people say he is Australian.

Anyone else notice a slight inconsistency there?

• Like 8

Can't believe people are moaning about Crump being in. ... he's travelled half way round the world to participate in the championship of his country of birth. :t: Whereas certain others can't be bothered to travel down the M1 or round the M25. Actually could even said that 1 won't be there even though he was born within a couple miles of stadium. :wink: