British Speedway Forum

15 minutes ago, Grachan said:

That's the thing, isn't it!

Woffinden - grows up in Australia, chooses to ride for Team GB, and people say he is Australian.

Crump - grows up in England, choose to ride for Australia, and people say he is Australian.

Anyone else notice a slight inconsistency there?

It's a bit like understanding women... you need to be able to separate your "'Bristol's" from your "Scunthorpe's".... :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, 2ndbendbeerhut said:

Can't believe people are moaning about Crump being in. ... he's travelled half way round the world to participate in the championship of his country of birth. :t: Whereas certain others can't be bothered to travel down the M1 or round the M25. Actually could even said that 1 won't be there even though he was born within a couple miles of stadium. :wink:

No he didn't, he's been here all along.

44 minutes ago, Lefty said:

It's a bit like understanding women... you need to be able to separate your "'Bristol's" from your "Scunthorpe's".... :rolleyes:

Now that one was funny........ ☺ 

• Like 1

I think it’s completely fair that people don’t agree with Crump riding in the BRITISH final. He never rode as a Brit, has always made it clear he’s Australian and therefore he really shouldn’t be in the British final. Yes, circumstances dictate that things are different this year and that does it make more understandable but as others have suggested, a British Open final may have been a better title.

With regards to the stream, I have no idea on production costs but £12.95 seems steep too me. I can understand people in both camps really and it’s great for people to sit and watch some speedway at home if they don’t have tickets but for a one off meeting, with no idea of the quality of stream, I believe the price is steep.

But in general, well done to the BSPA in getting an event on and I hope it’s a fantastic success for all. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

What about Jake Allen or Cameron Heeps on their home track or have they not been asked? :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Fozzie4388 said:

No point Jake taking part he'd walk it.

Bit of a long way to come, from Australia,  for one meeting but I agree he'd definitely enhance the lineup 

1 hour ago, foamfence said:

No he didn't, he's been here all along.

No he hasn't. He went back home when the season was curtailed but came back here when his son was allowed to race in the British Superbike Support Series.

• Like 1

is it not just simply a case of there not being enough top level riders available to compete?

The current champ and Cook withdrawn, Harris looks as though he wont be there, no chance of Lambert or Woffy being over for it! Who's left?

I'm one of the biggest knockers of the BSPA, they've done the right thing in getting it on a stream. 3/4 years too late but at least its happening, if they had charged £13 and put in all the kids with the likes of Barker and Schlien (who no ones complaining about) then there would have been even more outrage! 

The British Open would probably have been a better name in hindsight, I guess there's till time for that to change. 

Can we not just be happy that there is live Speedway in the UK?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

No he hasn't. He went back home when the season was curtailed but came back here when his son was allowed to race in the British Superbike Support Series.

In his own words "I was already here so I might as well." So he didn't come here to ride in this event and he was here for quite a while before it.

26 minutes ago, DJC said:

is it not just simply a case of there not being enough top level riders available to compete?

The current champ and Cook withdrawn, Harris looks as though he wont be there, no chance of Lambert or Woffy being over for it! Who's left?

I'm one of the biggest knockers of the BSPA, they've done the right thing in getting it on a stream. 3/4 years too late but at least its happening, if they had charged £13 and put in all the kids with the likes of Barker and Schlien (who no ones complaining about) then there would have been even more outrage! 

The British Open would probably have been a better name in hindsight, I guess there's till time for that to change. 

Can we not just be happy that there is live Speedway in the UK?

Britain have two top level riders, Lambert and Woffinden. 

I have no issue with Crump riding given the circumstances, but there is no doubt in my mind that 16 British riders could have been found who would have been willing to compete. If I was one of the young lads who went out to ride in the youth meetings on the continent recently and I was overlooked for this despite Australians being called into it I’d feel pretty hard done by. 

• Like 1

No, im sorry but its a bit of a mockery that Crump is in it, i would have complained years ago too. Its the British final, i dont get why its so hard to understand? Call it the British open and I would be fine with it, but he is Australian, chooses to represent Australia, and therefore should not be in it. 

Hes taking a space of one of the youngsters that could do with the experience to be honest, some of the lads who are in the British U19 Final would have jumped at the chance to be in this. 

To be honest, i don't care who's riding. I'm just looking forward to attending a meeting that isn't hundreds of miles away for a change.

I bet if they had put loads of kids in,, then people would have been moaning about the quality of field for the money. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

I bet if they had put loads of kids in,, then people would have been moaning about the quality of field for the money. 

Exactly my point! 
£13 seems steep but clearly they’ve done some sums to work out that’s enough to cover costs and make a little bit off it.

chuck in 7/8 kids and you won’t get half the numbers needed! Yes they should have called it the British Open but jeez... enjoy some speedway!
One of possibly 2/3 meetings in the UK with anyone over NL standard and people are kicking off.. sometimes I think the fans are actually the problem! 

• Like 1