British Speedway Forum

20 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

I bet if they had put loads of kids in,, then people would have been moaning about the quality of field for the money. 

I agree that people would’ve complained if there were too many young riders in the event but I think that would be better than including riders that aren’t British? I understand people want to see Jason Crump but he shouldn’t be riding in an event called the British Championship as an Australian. 

18 minutes ago, DJC said:

Exactly my point! 
£13 seems steep but clearly they’ve done some sums to work out that’s enough to cover costs and make a little bit off it.

chuck in 7/8 kids and you won’t get half the numbers needed! Yes they should have called it the British Open but jeez... enjoy some speedway!
One of possibly 2/3 meetings in the UK with anyone over NL standard and people are kicking off.. sometimes I think the fans are actually the problem! 

You’d be wrong to think that. We’re constantly served up sh*t, it’s been like this for decades.

That said, given the current circumstances I can’t see any reason to complain about any meetings held this year. People are, of course, allowed to voice their opinions on the price of entry/streaming and the line up though. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, DJC said:

Exactly my point! 
£13 seems steep but clearly they’ve done some sums to work out that’s enough to cover costs and make a little bit off it.

chuck in 7/8 kids and you won’t get half the numbers needed! Yes they should have called it the British Open but jeez... enjoy some speedway!
One of possibly 2/3 meetings in the UK with anyone over NL standard and people are kicking off.. sometimes I think the fans are actually the problem! 

Speedway has done an excellent job in getting rid of the problem in that case. :t:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Is it really worth the bother.Should have just called it The British Open Championship,save a lot of squabbling.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Speedway28 said:

I agree that people would’ve complained if there were too many young riders in the event but I think that would be better than including riders that aren’t British? I understand people want to see Jason Crump but he shouldn’t be riding in an event called the British Championship as an Australian. 

Must admit I was a bit bemused when I read about it earlier. He is British born I'll give him that but I have a very long memory and I remember him being interviewed when he won his first GP at Hackney in 1996. The interviewer made reference to his British birth and saying it was a home win for the fans to which Crump replied "your'e not having any of this one. I'm not bloody British". He was a youngster back then of cause and this year is just about getting a decent meeting on. 

5 hours ago, cityrebel said:

To be honest, i don't care who's riding. I'm just looking forward to attending a meeting that isn't hundreds of miles away for a change.

Like you Tony I’m not troubled by the line up. I’m just really pleased to have a ticket and an opportunity to watch my favourite sport. I would just like to add a big well done to all concerned for getting this far as not so long ago I feared I would see no post lockdown Speedway in the UK this year.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Grachan said:

That's the thing, isn't it!

Woffinden - grows up in Australia, chooses to ride for Team GB, and people say he is Australian.

Crump - grows up in England, choose to ride for Australia, and people say he is Australian.

Anyone else notice a slight inconsistency there?

I was only joking in that post (white text underneath!) so I agree with that. Woffinden chose from an early age to represent GB, maybe that was with one eye on possibly making it easier to get into the GPs etc but he had that choice and made it. 

Personally I think Crump (and Schlein before him, plus others if they're confirmed) is different in that he's always represented Australia. I'd suggest that dual-citizens should be allowed in if they choose to represent GB and haven't previously ridden for another country at senior level. 

Good old Bomber! What a great example he is, never lets you down, hope he wins it, he deserves it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Bomber can't gate (maybe once a meeting). When he rode for us we always hoped that his once was in an important race. Let's be honest Foxhall is not the easiest track to pass on. 

Still, it's good to see he's in the line-up, he has always given everything he's got for team GB and British racing. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Cheese said:

I was only joking in that post (white text underneath!) so I agree with that. Woffinden chose from an early age to represent GB, maybe that was with one eye on possibly making it easier to get into the GPs etc but he had that choice and made it. 

Personally I think Crump (and Schlein before him, plus others if they're confirmed) is different in that he's always represented Australia. I'd suggest that dual-citizens should be allowed in if they choose to represent GB and haven't previously ridden for another country at senior level. 

Schlein has been representing GB since 2014 when he rode in the European Championship as an ACU nomination on an ACU licence. 

55 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Schlein has been representing GB since 2014 when he rode in the European Championship as an ACU nomination on an ACU licence. 

Haha, representing himself more like. 

• Like 3