British Speedway Forum

13 minutes ago, HGould said:

Bickley is a strange choice?

Declined U21 European spot earlier in season.

Brennan I get as got in on 6.05 average, Kemp is defending U19 Champion and Home Team rider.

I can find 11 British riders with average higher than Bickley and below 6 points.

Likes of Shanes, Newman, Morris, Clegg, Neilsen, Lambert, Sergeant, Mountain, Greaves....were they asked?

I’ve seen from numerous discussions that a number of riders haven’t been asked. Clegg, Morris and Nielsen certainly. The line up really should’ve been decided on averages from last season and riders asked in that order. Maybe others have declined, but a bit more transparency wouldn’t be the worst thing!

It seems that selection is influenced by whose face fits, the even more amusing part is that several previous no-hopers are now talking up their chances of going for the title.

• Like 1

It is proving to be a meaningless title anyway so why would anyone want to put themselves out to complete?. If Woffinden, Lambert, Bewley, Nichols et al were riding the title would have prestige.

18 hours ago, screm said:

Berwick`s Kyle Bickley replaces Dan Bewley who has decided he would rather ride in Poland.

Bewley would have no chice, hes on polish duty for Wroclaw

I would imagine that Bewley must have originally said yes or he wouldn't have been in the line-up , only then when named in Poland did he have to withdraw. He would not want to jeopardise any future chance of riding in the Polish league. 

25 minutes ago, sommelier said:

Bewley would have no chice, hes on polish duty for Wroclaw

Bewley was dropped from the Wroclaw team after a couple of weeks earlier in the season, then he was injured. Now back to fitness he accepted an invitation to ride in the British Final, as far as his duty for Wroclaw I`d wait to see if he actually gets a team place.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, screm said:

Bewley was dropped from the Wroclaw team after a couple of weeks earlier in the season, then he was injured. Now back to fitness he accepted an invitation to ride in the British Final, as far as his duty for Wroclaw I`d wait to see if he actually gets a team place.

He was back in the Wroclaw team the other week at Ribnik! :rolleyes:

The Russian championship is being raced today, missing riders are, Sayfutinov, A Laguta, G Laguta and Chugunov, a sign of the times ?

The British championship hasn't mattered since the 1990s and the start of the GPs anybody who thinks it does is delusional 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MARK246 said:

The Russian championship is being raced today, missing riders are, Sayfutinov, A Laguta, G Laguta and Chugunov, a sign of the times ?

The British championship hasn't mattered since the 1990s and the start of the GPs anybody who thinks it does is delusional 

Agreed. THE BLRC used to be a meeting to rival the World Final but now riders don't seem to give a toss about it or other representative meetings.
Why is that I wonder? Can't be down to (lack of) prize money alone surely?

As far as GPs go I've argued for years their introduction started the decline in speedway and I'm of the opinion they should increase the number of rounds and become a separate event leaving riders who wish to concentrate on earning a living from league speedway to do so.
GPs undoubtedly caused the problems which caused Eastbourne and Rye House amongst others to drop divisions or close due to so many missed or changed race nights.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2020 at 10:36 AM, Bavarian said:

Never understand this thinking of Yours (and many others in the UK) - how can a British Championship Final ever be meaningless ?

This is not a Mickey Mouse trophy event, this is a National Championship. I mean if that does not mean anything to You, what does ?

The Wild Card for the British Grand Prix is an additional bonbon for the winner, but is rather meaningless, compared to the title of British Champion.

This all kicked off a few years ago when nearly the whole line-up withdrew from the meeting over the pay structure. 

Unfortunately, national pride hasn't existed for this competition for at least 10 years.

The big guns don't get paid enough so don't show

33 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

This all kicked off a few years ago when nearly the whole line-up withdrew from the meeting over the pay structure. 

Unfortunately, national pride hasn't existed for this competition for at least 10 years.

The big guns don't get paid enough so don't show

greedy fockers !

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

Agreed. THE BLRC used to be a meeting to rival the World Final

The BLRC was a different meeting to the British Championship and, as the line-up was made up of each team's top scorer, it contained many riders not from Britain and at a time when many of the world's leading riders rode in the BL. That's why it rivalled the World Final.

Edited by norbold
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, norbold said:

The BLRC was a different meeting to the British Championship and, as the line-up was made up of each team's top scorer, it contained many riders not from Britain and at a time when many of the world's leading riders rode in the BL. That's why it rivalled the World Final.

Yes thank you but the point I was making is some riders who have finished top of their team's averages don't seemed bothered about the BLRC Title and as such the meeting and others like it don't have the glamour of the past when the winner did beat the best of the rest.

Perhaps if the British Championship went back to several rounds of qualifying meetings for all eligible riders with the winner getting the British nomination for the GP Challenge as well as the British GP wild card there would be more prestige to the title. Should the British speedway authorities be ruling you can't compete in World events if you don't participate in the National Title meetings?

11 minutes ago, norbold said:

I loved the BLRC... was at the first 6 meetings (The Briggo Show).

• Like 1