British Speedway Forum

1 minute ago, Baldyman said:

Looking at the scores in the under 19s, Bickley looks a strange inclusion in this event. 

Yes you would have thought it would have been worth while waiting till after today's event and offering the final place to the top rider not already riding.
It would have been a nice little incentive probably on a level with the winner of the British Final usually getting the wild card at Cardiff for these young guys/

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Looking at the scores in the under 19s, Bickley looks a strange inclusion in this event. 

Always been over hyped I think, a CL reserve at best. 

Palin, Thompsons are jumping ahead now of a few who have been ahead of them in age cycle. 

Kemp clearly top of his age bracket with Brennan and Palin and the twins a few years younger are catching fast. 

Gilkes is coming along very quickly a bit off the radar, well managed by Len. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Baldyman said:

Like any invitational, depends who & what you know. "I'll ride for nothing and my Dad is a sponsor...." could easily swing a place if have thought:) (by the way, I know nothing about Bickley so don't jump on me, just using that as an example.) 

22 minutes ago, HGould said:

Palin, Thompsons are jumping ahead now of a few who have been ahead of them in age cycle. 

Kemp clearly top of his age bracket with Brennan and Palin and the twins a few years younger are catching fast. 

The Thompsons and Palin are 16?  With Kemp turning 18 about 6 weeks ago,, looks like Britain could have a decent future. 

Edited by Baldyman

7 hours ago, jenga said:

greedy fockers !

Would you risk your life for money that barely covers your expenses to get to work ?

Check facts before making idiotic statements. All BSPA events pay peanuts which is why there’s always discontent for those events from riders, most riders lose money if they don’t finish in the top half dozen or win a 4TT or Pairs event.

22 hours ago, youngy105 said:

You're assuming Dan will get a ride.

He'll be at Number 8 which doesn't guarantee a ride.

if you keep up with the news drabyk has quit before his appeal date 7th oct dan will ride like he did in wroclaw last match at rybnik they don't have no more options !!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cinderfella said:

Yes you would have thought it would have been worth while waiting till after today's event and offering the final place to the top rider not already riding.
It would have been a nice little incentive probably on a level with the winner of the British Final usually getting the wild card at Cardiff for these young guys/

kemp the winner is in british final !!

9 hours ago, screm said:

Bewley was dropped from the Wroclaw team after a couple of weeks earlier in the season, then he was injured. Now back to fitness he accepted an invitation to ride in the British Final, as far as his duty for Wroclaw I`d wait to see if he actually gets a team place.

drabik quit the team wroclaw had no other option but to recall him back !!

6 minutes ago, geoff58 said:

kemp the winner is in british final !!

They did say the top placed rider not already in it, personally would rather Gilkes be in it than Crump but hey ho

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HGould said:

While I have every respect for Len and his years in the sport, Dan has been a great talent since well before he joined Kent. He cleaned up in the development leagues at 16, the NL clubs were queuing up for him. His parents have made sure he takes the right steps at the right time, they deserve the credit for his management.

• Like 2

Dan Gilkes is a lad that seems to have his head screwed on right too, looks after his supporters and sponsors and willing to take advice

• Like 2

12 hours ago, foamfence said:

It seems that selection is influenced by whose face fits

speedway, nuff said

3 hours ago, Ringitsneck said:

Would you risk your life for money that barely covers your expenses to get to work ?

Check facts before making idiotic statements. All BSPA events pay peanuts which is why there’s always discontent for those events from riders, most riders lose money if they don’t finish in the top half dozen or win a 4TT or Pairs event.

workington had a rider (sarj) who said he was losing money racing season after season . so it looks like riders do go to ride speedway and not make any money from it . may i just add that a lot of people in work are actually in working poverty .

wasnt it the 4tt @ peterborough when a few riders did not show up for the individual  meeting because the pay on offer was not good enough , but still rode in the 4tt .. not to worry tho. its only the fans that pay their wages on an even more regular bases !

as for risking life , we all do that when we cross the road or even eat out somewhere !

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, jenga said:

as for risking life 

Riding speedway is statistically relative safe, if you think how many riders world wide and how many races they ride in what can be a 10-20 year career, the chance of being killed or even long term life threatening injuries is minuscule, it can and does happen but in all competitions over the world how many times a year ??yes injuries in general are common but are seen more as an inconvenience by riders than what the general public see as serious issue, no rider see’s Speedway as risking their life and if they do they are in the wrong game or it’s time to get out but as easy as it is to actually ride speedway, winning and making it pay is another thing entirely 

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Baldyman said:

The Thompsons and Palin are 16?  With Kemp turning 18 about 6 weeks ago,, looks like Britain could have a decent future

A phrase repeated for the last 20 years. We'll be lucky to get 1 or 2 come through & actually be top class.