British Speedway Forum

So if an Aussie wins this meeting, will they still be crowned the 'British' Champion 2020?  Utterly laughable if that's the case.

Does the winner still get a place at Cardiff in 2021?  Again if an Aussie wins, will it then be the highest placed Brit? 

Come on BSPA, rename it the British Open (or similar) for goodness sake!  This is 100% not a British Final is it is supposed to be.

6 minutes ago, chris4gillian said:

So if an Aussie wins this meeting, will they still be crowned the 'British' Champion 2020?  Utterly laughable if that's the case.

1961, 1964-1967, 1969: British Champion: Barry Briggs
1968, 1970-1972: British Champion: Ivan Mauger

It's nothing new.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, chris4gillian said:

Does the winner still get a place at Cardiff in 2021?  Again if an Aussie wins, will it then be the highest placed Brit? 

Come on BSPA, rename it the British Open (or similar) for goodness sake!  This is 100% not a British Final is it is supposed to be. 

I would imagine that this meeting has no bearing on Cardiff 2021. It is normally the winner of that year's British Championship that gets the wildcard.

Does Jason Crump need a visa to ride here this year? If not, then surely he is here as British.

Edited by Grachan

11 minutes ago, Grachan said:

I would imagine that this meeting has no bearing on Cardiff 2021. It is normally the winner of that year's British Championship that gets the wildcard.

Does Jason Crump need a visa to ride here this year? If not, then surely he is here as British.

Tobias Musialak and Rasmus Jensen didn't need visas to ride for Swindon last season. Did make them British?

Crump is Australian, but I have no problems in him riding in this year's British Final

Actually for once I feel sorry for the BSPA, they have sweated buckets to get this event on and been met with a barrage of whinges from fans, and now there is a strong likelihood that the event will be cancelled and they'll have to foot the  sunk costs.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Tobias Musialak and Rasmus Jensen didn't need visas to ride for Swindon last season. Did make them British?

Crump is Australian, but I have no problems in him riding in this year's British Final

Actually for once I feel sorry for the BSPA, they have sweated buckets to get this event on and been met with a barrage of whinges from fans, and now there is a strong likelihood that the event will be cancelled and they'll have to foot the  sunk costs.

I don't see the connection. They were EU riders and didn't need one. As an Australian, Crump would need a visa to ride here. If he's not here on a visa then he must be here as a British citizen. That wouldn't apply to Musielak and Jensen.

Under normal circumstances you wouldn't expect Jason Crump to be in the British Final, but it's not normal circumstances, and, as replacements for the top British riders who can't be bothered to ride go, a British born British citizen seems a pretty good one.

8 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Maybe people would be more forgiving if they did a good job the rest of the time...

I can't imagine that the meeting itself will be totally cancelled especially as the live stream is all set up. I think its probably just a case of whether the 1000 will be able to go. More headaches for the BSPA and Chris Louis who's done a hell of a lot to get it all set up. 

They are certainly going to have to announce what's going on soon as I'm sure people from afar have made travel and accommodation plans. 

Edited by Super Blue

Unless I have read this wrong, BBC say all trial events cancelled, so no fans, if it goes ahead at all.

1 hour ago, chris4gillian said:

I would imagine the Cardiff wild card 2021 will be the British Champion 2021 not the British Champion 2020

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, customhouseregular said:

Unless I have read this wrong, BBC say all trial events cancelled, so no fans, if it goes ahead at all.

from October (hopefully!)

1 hour ago, norbold said:

1961, 1964-1967, 1969: British Champion: Barry Briggs
1968, 1970-1972: British Champion: Ivan Mauger

It's nothing new.

We are now in 2020 nearly 50 years later than the last 'non British' winner....so today it would be something new.

1 hour ago, Grachan said:

Deleted :D

Edited by chris4gillian

1 minute ago, chris4gillian said:

Which the winner of this meeting will be....unless I'm missing something.

Think there will be a British final 2021, which will determine the 2021 Cardiff wildcard, this has no wildcard attached.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chris4gillian said:

Which the winner of this meeting will be....unless I'm missing something.

You are missing something - Cardiff 2020 was cancelled months ago.

26 minutes ago, Red Flag said:

I would imagine the Cardiff wild card 2021 will be the British Champion 2021 not the British Champion 2020

That makes perfect sense, assuming the British Championship is run before Cardiff in 2021.