British Speedway Forum

30 minutes ago, Triple.H. said:

This is something that needs urgent  clarification by the BSPA and their chosen stream provider. Some streaming services will not work on a Smart TV. The EFL Ifollow service is an example of this. With Ifollow you have to connect with a phone,tablet,laptop etc  and either use  a HDMI cable or cast to the TV to view on the TV.

Didn't realise this, I have been watching Bristol City through my TV but that runs off their website and not IFollow but of course they abide by the same rules...

Edited by M.D

Having followed this thread pretty closely and seen all the differing opinions on streaming sports I have a few observations

1. Given the current predicament obviously the stream is now the only option for the British final , some will love it and some will hate it. All depends on people's perspective of what  watching Speedway means to them, the experience, cost, basically everything involved with actually being there. I don't see there being enough supporters to subscribe to streaming on a regular basis to get the income to survive. 

2. Is streaming the way forward for any sport? Simple answer is no, football may be able to survive with all the TV money but probably only the bigger clubs, also sponsorship/TV may cover international sports like American football and a few others. 

3. Speedway imo has no chance of survival without the paying public in the stadium. There's no real financial sponsorship, the only prize for winning the league is a trophy after all. Poland of course maybe the exception to this, whole different situation there. 

Whilst I fully appreciate everyone's opinions, for or against streaming as opposed to actually being there, only one answer is realistic for Speedway's survival. 

Seeing it live is the only way! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

Below is copied from their guide and it suggests you can watch it later. I'm unsure too if I can watch it live so I hope so.

To watch the live-stream head over to your Account to review your order history. For each order you've placed there will be a link to watch the event live (once the broadcast has commenced, of course) plus also a link to re-watch historical events on-demand.

Thanks for this. I am far from a techno person and simply want to watch a speedway meeting albeit I am not around on Saturday evening so just want to watch a recording of the event which I am happy to pay for. Why is something so simple so bloody difficult. Old age yes and if someone can come up with a simple solution that does not rely on downloading or registering another app or similar gets my vote. If speedway stuck to one platform life would be simple but I guess that is asking too much.

Trouble is, so many people look for free streams etc. that trying to keep it solely for those who have gone through the official route does mean it's not as simple as some would like. Any child/teenager would find it a cinch though :D Sportcentral seem to be offering help and assistance though so that's good. 

Edited by SPEEDY69

15 hours ago, Super Blue said:

I've just looked up Spedeworth website and it says that ticket sales are suspended for this event. Whether that means they've sold out or they are now panicking is anyone's guess. 

One of my neighbours who usually goes to every stockcar meeting they can told me that Spedeworth are charging £50 a ticket for this one including kids! 

2500 at that price is alot of money to lose out on. 

Imo if it is allowed to go ahead its absolutely fricking rediculous that 1000 can't go to Speedway in the same stadium a week before. 

I have no beef with stockcar racing and have even been a few times myself in the past. 

For the record yes I'm pretty damned p****d off its being run behind closed doors without me there !!!

Had sold out on Saturday at 50 quid a pop..

6 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

Had sold out on Saturday at 50 quid a pop..

Who decided Speedway in the UK was an 'elite' sport?

Was it the Govt or those who run it?

Presume there had to be some set criteria?

No disrespect to it but you could hardly put it at the same level as Football, Rugby, Cricket and Horse Racing..

Could it get reassessed I wonder? 

Go down the route of riders being semi pro at best? 

Many effectively 'pay to compete' given their outlay, similar to stock car drivers, so maybe the sport could be 'down graded' to whatever the stock car level is..

Change 'points money' to 'prize money' and could you then run the sport regularly at a 'non elite' level..?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Triple.H. said:

This is something that needs urgent  clarification by the BSPA and their chosen stream provider. Some streaming services will not work on a Smart TV. The EFL Ifollow service is an example of this. With Ifollow you have to connect with a phone,tablet,laptop etc  and either use  a HDMI cable or cast to the TV to view on the TV.

All smart TV's have an independent web browser, Ifollow works through that & in full screen. 

20 hours ago, Baldyman said:

No cable TV either.  I've never bothered with Gadgets,, and I've never really needed a computer, so never needed Internet.

I have a few gigs on my phone,, and that's normally plenty for what I normally do. 

I think a cherry picker is your only option :D

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

Who decided Speedway in the UK was an 'elite' sport?

Was it the Govt or those who run it?

Presume there had to be some set criteria?

No disrespect to it but you could hardly put it at the same level as Football, Rugby, Cricket and Horse Racing..

Could it get reassessed I wonder? 

Go down the route of riders being semi pro at best? 

Many effectively 'pay to compete' given their outlay, similar to stock car drivers, so maybe the sport could be 'down graded' to whatever the stock car level is..

Change 'points money' to 'prize money' and could you then run the sport regularly at a 'non elite' level..?

I've always wondered this exact same question "whose labelled them Elite Sportsmen".  Yes it is a skill and not anyone can ride a Speedway bike it takes years of practice but also I expect a great majority of them have other jobs to supplement their income as it is only a summer sport as well, especially I would have though the riders who only ride for teams in the U.K

17 minutes ago, hammer1969 said:

I've always wondered this exact same question "whose labelled them Elite Sportsmen".  Yes it is a skill and not anyone can ride a Speedway bike it takes years of practice but also I expect a great majority of them have other jobs to supplement their income as it is only a summer sport as well, especially I would have though the riders who only ride for teams in the U.K

It's based on self employed contract basis, average amount they earn and partially down to doubling up I'd imagine

EG.. A League with Jason Doyle in it is obviously elite sport, over 50% in that league also ride in CL so that's elites port too. Work permits are issued in PL and CL so work permit equates to elite sport. 

No such issues in NDL which is developmental and UK only or a few over years with UK passports like BWD etc

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, hammer1969 said:

It might need to be reassessed, if next season ever gets started.

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 10:31 PM, hammer1969 said:

The Government don't seem able to grasp that fans watching professional sports and fans watching non professional sports are still people and possibly the same people ie they watch stock cars and speedway, surely reduced capacity for stock cars should also apply equally to other sports, speedway, football etc.  The Virus doesn't know the difference between fans at amateur or professional sports or is it that clever it can pick and choose which venue it decides to strike at, no it can strike anywhere we just all need to take precautions, hands, face, space then perhaps we can all enjoy a bit of life as it used to be.

At the weekend, a local football club, Gainsborough Trinity, held their 1st league match(Northern Premier I think, about div 8 or 9 to our top league) but because they were amateur standard, were allowed up to 600 fans in a 4300 capacity stadium(partly congested) yet you are not allowed 2000-3000 in a 50000+ stadium(less congested) as it is classed as professional.

• Like 1

Let’s get one thing clear this is NOT the British Final, It’s an open meeting made up of 16 riders who are available we all know it’s not the best 16 BRITISH riders, and for the BSPA to call it the British Final is insulting our intelligence and should be prosecuted under the Trades Description Act       

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

At the weekend, a local football club, Gainsborough Trinity, held their 1st league match(Northern Premier I think, about div 8 or 9 to our top league) but because they were amateur standard, were allowed up to 600 fans in a 4300 capacity stadium(partly congested) yet you are not allowed 2000-3000 in a 50000+ stadium(less congested) as it is classed as professional.

No consistency anywhere, no wonder people are fed up, as I said this Virus doesn't know whether fans are watching, speedway, football or any other sport so surely a percentage of the stadiums capacity could be allowed in and it would also help keep people employed.

• Like 1