British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, Daniel Smith said:

100%, anywhere else that meeting would have been off. As far as rider's willing to give it a go, the winner, Rory Schlein is one of the biggest complainants regards wet tracks.

That tells you the massive compliments Belle Vue deserve. I'd go as far as, any BSPA or world event should be held only at Belle Vue in the UK, it never fails to deliver. 

We all know of Rory's dislike for wet tracks but I think what is interesting here is the fact that Rory does a lot of training to the kids & they, more often than not, just get on with it. Not much messing around at the tapes, doing the gardening & adjusting the clutch. Plus the inclement weather early on, with the drizzle, meant that the meeting ran at a decent pace.

2 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

100%, anywhere else that meeting would have been off. As far as rider's willing to give it a go, the winner, Rory Schlein is one of the biggest complainants regards wet tracks.

That tells you the massive compliments Belle Vue deserve. I'd go as far as, any BSPA or world event should be held only at Belle Vue in the UK, it never fails to deliver. 

Try a visit to Glasgow - first class track and facilities and FIM approved.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Not sure about that - think it was the attitude of all to get it on.  I remember watching a really wet meeting at Lynn a while back - may have been a commonwealth final or something but Andy Smith really stood out as he was racing hard in sodden conditions whereas others were much more tentative.  Only by racing in those conditions do you get used to it of course and I agree about call-offs.  However, if the surface is really deep and soaking then it needs blading off and not everywhere has that capability.  On Monday the track was not deep and therefore it allows that consistent grip level - later on of course when the dirt built up on the outside we saw what the impact of hitting that can be with R Worrall.  If I were a promoter Mr Brennan would be on my wish list. 

Do riders still change things like handlebar position, tyre pressure levels and even wheelbase length these days in wet conditions or was that a skill set from the past

Edited by cinderfella
Spelling mistook

Very impressed with the effort put in by everyone, the youngsters were right in the thick of the action.Praise for Chris Louis, really impressive with his race comments and thoughts on conditions and explaining himself. Very refreshing from the usual screaming we’re used too.Eurosport need to get him on board.!!

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

Try a visit to Glasgow - first class track and facilities and FIM approved.

:lol:

3 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Agree with comments, and full credit to Belle Vue for getting on, but the thing consistent about rider attitude regarding whether to ride or not is the context of the meeting.IMO.
If it were a league meeting they would have wanted it off,knowing that it will be rerun so they will not lose out financially ,but if it is an Open Meeting they will ride round (not race) just to earn some money on the night just in case it’s not re-run and they lose out.

Ps.

They all gave it 100% at Belle Vue.

I

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

:lol:

has a point though, good track

5 hours ago, cinderfella said:

Do riders still change things like handlebar position, tyre pressure levels and even wheelbase length these days in wet conditions or was that a skill set from the past

Yes, not handlebars but the others yes. Some run with pressures as low as 4psi and wheelbase also makes a big difference but often it's about reducing wheelspin because the engines are too strong. An older bike in those really wet conditions I think may be an advantage! 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Grand Central said:

Good to be reminded about what an excellent co-commentator Chris Louis is ... Hopefully Eurosport will make use of him next year (if he wants!) rather than the hapless Ermolenko.

hapless Sam is great comedy value though :lol:

3 hours ago, iainb said:

hapless Sam is great comedy value though :lol:

It was for a while ... that sort of squirming-for-him type comedy of David Brent or Alan Partridge.
But the comedic value has waned with relentless repetition.

But leaving Sam out of it ... Dave Rowe and Chris Louis would seem a good partnership for domestic TV next year,
Other ideas that come to mind  are ... not to employ any 'dolly birds' with no Speedway experience, give us a rest from NP/KT for a while (leave them on the GPs), cut down on the studio nonsense and  give us rapid-fire racing with just the odd (brief) interview with riders ONLY when there is an incident worth commenting on (Steve Brandon always seems to get that right).

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Grand Central said:

It was for a while ... that sort of squirming-for-him type comedy of David Brent or Alan Partridge.

But leaving Sam out of it ... Dave Rowe and Chris Louis would seem a good partnership for domestic TV next year,
Other ideas that come to mind  are ... not to employ any 'dolly birds' with no Speedway experience, give us a rest from NP/KT for a while (leave them on the GPs), cut down on the studio nonsense and  give us rapid-fire racing with just the odd (brief) interview with riders ONLY when there is an incident worth commenting on (Steve Brandon always seems to get that right).

Though Dave Rowe and Chris Louis were  excellent together.Pleasure to  listen too.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Grand Central said:

Where is Brando this year?  Without question arguably the best at interviewing riders during meetings.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, chris4gillian said:

Where is Brando this year?  Without question arguably the best at interviewing riders during meetings.

He works for BT as floor manager for GP coverage.

I remember Brando spannering for Larry Ross.

He works in other sports as well.... he was involved with televised snooker some years ago.

1 hour ago, racers and royals said:

He works for BT as floor manager for GP coverage.

Can he not also do interviews during the meetings?  Bit late now I guess, but hey there's always next year and beyond :t: