British Speedway Forum

Berwick`s Kyle Bickley replaces Dan Bewley who has decided he would rather ride in Poland.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, screm said:

Berwick`s Kyle Bickley replaces Dan Bewley who has decided he would rather ride in Poland.

Can’t blame him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SPEEDY69 said:

Yes, can cast it from a phone ok

Cool, thank you.

I've found it now. If I type in the browser bar instead of the Google search box it comes up :t:

1 hour ago, screm said:

I take it the "riding in your 'National Championship' takes precedence" rule doesn't exist anymore then?

5 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

I take it the "riding in your 'National Championship' takes precedence" rule doesn't exist anymore then?

Since its an invitation event,, no probably not. 

Call it a Commonwealth Championship or whatever title fits those riders who are willing to underwrite the even by turning up, subject always to the BLM and any other group or movement not getting the hump because it falls foul of their agenda but for christ sake support it to promote British speedway. Who cares if they are Australian, European or British. Having a stream so that those who wish to tune in can do so given that the current owners of the rights to broadcast will not show it live means the stream is a plus and will make a difference. Why not see how it goes but do not knock it before those willing to gamble financially on the event and have invested in bringing it to a live screening have been given a chance so it could be just what the sport needs. If it works an a price point that can be agreed who knows where it could lead with lower league meetings being screened.

As to those riders who do not want to ride, it is up to them. Just remember when the sport really needed you, as the opt out group, you decided it was not for you and you have turned your back on U.K. speedway which is fine but don’t expect many to welcome with open arms in 2021.  

The fact that this meeting is going ahead is an attempt by the sport authorities to comply at a professional level with government guidelines so it is not comparable with Plymouth or any other streamed event and I really do not get all the criticism given this is not a normal situation.  

Everyone has been starved of their weekly fix and this is an opportunity to get behind this one off meeting as you will never know what you have missed until it no longer exists. Riders and supporters need to be on the same wavelength for the sake of Speedway U K  and those who can get behind this, think on.

12 minutes ago, Hawk127 said:

Call it a Commonwealth Championship or whatever title fits those riders who are willing to underwrite the even by turning up, subject always to the BLM and any other group or movement not getting the hump because it falls foul of their agenda but for christ sake support it to promote British speedway. Who cares if they are Australian, European or British. Having a stream so that those who wish to tune in can do so given that the current owners of the rights to broadcast will not show it live means the stream is a plus and will make a difference. Why not see how it goes but do not knock it before those willing to gamble financially on the event and have invested in bringing it to a live screening have been given a chance so it could be just what the sport needs. If it works an a price point that can be agreed who knows where it could lead with lower league meetings being screened.

As to those riders who do not want to ride, it is up to them. Just remember when the sport really needed you, as the opt out group, you decided it was not for you and you have turned your back on U.K. speedway which is fine but don’t expect many to welcome with open arms in 2021.  

The fact that this meeting is going ahead is an attempt by the sport authorities to comply at a professional level with government guidelines so it is not comparable with Plymouth or any other streamed event and I really do not get all the criticism given this is not a normal situation.  

Everyone has been starved of their weekly fix and this is an opportunity to get behind this one off meeting as you will never know what you have missed until it no longer exists. Riders and supporters need to be on the same wavelength for the sake of Speedway U K  and those who can get behind this, think on.

Couldn't agree less. As I've stated elsewhere if a rider who has spent money on equipment blows an engine or wrecks his frame he is going to be well out of pocket with no other meeting to earn for repairs.
Riders who chose to keep their machinery ready for next season have the right to be respected  just as those who (were invited to) ride and should not be discriminated against in any way next year. I assume you obviously object to Tai riding for Team GB as he declined to ride in the British Leagues when arguably, as a multiple World Champion, he is needed to boost the sport?
Remember Glasgow pulled out of the league this year well ahead of everyone else. Don't think we will see them getting turned away next year.

Edited by cinderfella
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

Couldn't agree less. As I've stated elsewhere if a rider who has spent money on equipment blows an engine or wrecks his frame he is going to be well out of pocket with no other meeting to earn for repairs.
Riders who chose to keep their machinery ready for next season have the right to be respected  just as those who (were invited to) ride and should not be discriminated against in any way next year. I assume you obviously object to Tai riding for Team GB as he declined to ride in the British Leagues when arguably, as a multiple World Champion, he is needed to boost the sport?
Remember Glasgow pulled out of the league this year well ahead of everyone else. Don't think we will see them getting turned away next year.

You are entitled to your opinion and I respect what you are saying. However a business decision by a club many months back is just that and only time has proved them right. What you are seemingly referring to is a risk assessment and that is not a level playing field as it is a matter of personal judgement. Each rider determines the risks in normal circumstances but these are not normal and for example many riders compete in open meetings at the beginning of a season and blow engines, have crashes, damage frames etc. so the same risks apply. Wrecking a frame or blowing an engine is irrelevant, it is part and parcel of the sport. Those participating in speedway have ideas and goals above expectations. 

To all intense and purposes speedway in the U.K. is an amateur sport filled with riders who have expectations beyond those which can now be fulfilled and many riders think it owes them a living but in reality it cannot afford these people any longer as the money is not in the sport. 

5 hours ago, screm said:

dan is under contract with wroclaw so he has to ride for them !! after all it is the play/offs he is riding in !! not some made up farcical so called british final 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cinderfella said:

well what's lambert's excuse for not riding in it ? he is not involved in polish play/offs where dan is riding for  his contracted club in poland !!

21 minutes ago, geoff58 said:

well what's lambert's excuse for not riding in it ? he is not involved in polish play/offs where dan is riding for  his contracted club in poland !!

You're assuming Dan will get a ride.

He'll be at Number 8 which doesn't guarantee a ride.

Edited by youngy105

3 minutes ago, youngy105 said:

You're assuming Dan will get a ride.

He'll be at Number 8 which doesn't guarantee a ride. According to the provisional teams Drabik has been dropped, again, but Wroclaw have put one of their Juniors at No.2 rather than Dan.

That speaks volumes. 

They have to have two Poles in their top five.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hawk127 said:

Tricky one this, to ditch the national championship and GB Speedway, who have probably invested a lot in him for a team who have been less than loyal to him and bin him off after 1 ride seems a very strange decision. As far as I know a national championship trumps a league meeting no matter what country it's in. Listening to Dan on the Talk Speedway podcast he described the British Championship as "just another meeting" which probably tells you all you need to know on this one... I expected better from him

Bickley is a strange choice?

Declined U21 European spot earlier in season.

Brennan I get as got in on 6.05 average, Kemp is defending U19 Champion and Home Team rider.

I can find 11 British riders with average higher than Bickley and below 6 points.

Likes of Shanes, Newman, Morris, Clegg, Neilsen, Lambert, Sergeant, Mountain, Greaves....were they asked?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HGould said:

Bickley is a strange choice?

Declined U21 European spot earlier in season.

Brennan I get as got in on 6.05 average, Kemp is defending U19 Champion and Home Team rider.

I can find 11 British riders with average higher than Bickley and below 6 points.

Likes of Shanes, Newman, Morris, Clegg, Neilsen, Lambert, Sergeant, Mountain, Greaves....were they asked?

There seems to be a wall of silence over who was asked and if they declined which just undermines British Speedway yet again.

Is James Shanes perhaps riding in the World Longtrack in Poland on the Sunday and unlike Bomber decide no to change travel plans?