British Speedway Forum

2 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

The ‘ Promoters Circus ‘ event will be via Zoom ( if at all ) as can’t have more than six attending. You think the same clowns on the top table that got us here are now going to completely change tactics?

Time for a revolution but don’t hold your breath.

I won't be lol.
I was speaking to a mate the other evening (on-line i may add) and he was talking about various league football teams around the UK saying this pandemic could lead to them going out of business in the next few months due to no spectators. Made me think that considering we constantly hear from speedway promoters of lack of cash that we haven't heard any claims of teams folding yet. I hope that remains the case but either finances aren't as bad as we hear they are or a lid is being kept on things.

17 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

I won't be lol.
I was speaking to a mate the other evening (on-line i may add) and he was talking about various league football teams around the UK saying this pandemic could lead to them going out of business in the next few months due to no spectators. Made me think that considering we constantly hear from speedway promoters of lack of cash that we haven't heard any claims of teams folding yet. I hope that remains the case but either finances aren't as bad as we hear they are or a lid is being kept on things.

Football clubs still have wages to pay and are running matches behind closed doors, the majority of promoters are just biding their time and have no costs (unless they are bound by rental agreements).

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, foamfence said:

Football clubs still have wages to pay and are running matches behind closed doors, the majority of promoters are just biding their time and have no costs (unless they are bound by rental agreements).

You think it costs nothing to maintain a stadium / track even without rent ? 
Even a house with no mortgage has bills to pay!

My local clubs costs are around the 25 thousand mark wether they use it or not as they do pay rent and for 12 months not just the 6 that the ‘ season ‘ takes place.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

My local clubs costs are around the 25 thousand mark wether they use it or not as they do pay rent and for 12 months not just the 6 that the ‘ season ‘ takes place.

I daresay a few teams are relying on the  income from this season's season tickets being carried forward to next season but surely that means there will be a shortfall next season if they are using this season's money to pay these hidden costs now?

things will certainly be different and I expect a few teams will be cutting their cloth accordingly.

12 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

That's why I said "the majority."

I saw that there were several 'other streams' apparently being offered for the Belle Vue meeting last night - don't know if they were all false leads or not but reportedly the quality of the official stream was good, so am looking forward to watching tomorrow.

2 hours ago, foamfence said:

That's why I said "the majority."

And you said “ have no costs “.

Every club , even Scunthorpe who have staged the most meetings, have lost money this year with some a hell of a lot more than others. 
Poor Newcastle’s Rob Grant must have lost a small fortune before he’s even started.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

And you said “ have no costs “.

Every club , even Scunthorpe who have staged the most meetings, have lost money this year with some a hell of a lot more than others. 
Poor Newcastle’s Rob Grant must have lost a small fortune before he’s even started.

I can’t think of ANY club that would have “ no costs “ , even if the whole set up was privately owned ( Scunthorpe, Somerset , Leicester ? ) there are the normal bills, electric, water, maintenance ( although much reduced ).

Its been tipping it down near Norwich all day, with even parts of my garden flooded, which is unusual. I was debating paying for the live stream tomorrow (although it does seem expensive to me)  wondered what happens if the meeting is called off with a waterlogged track? No mention of a refund or rescheduling on the Live Stream web site that I can see.

3 minutes ago, Bunce said:

.....No mention of a refund or rescheduling on the Live Stream web site that I can see.

I can't see there being a shortage of suitable restaging dates. It's not like there is a major clash of dates with league matches or anything!
Technically, you press the pause button on the stream until the meeting is restaged. 

Alright, I'll get my coat.

6 hours ago, False dawn said:

.....As to this meeting. I think the addition of "Open" to the name would have been appropriate.

It's rapidly becoming my favourite saying, but sometimes you have to "Becareful what you wish for".

The word on the street is that the BSPAL have renamed this meeting "The British Open Championship". 
It went out on Twitter and Bartosz Zmarzlik has applied to take part.

7 minutes ago, False dawn said:

It's rapidly becoming my favourite saying, but sometimes you have to "Becareful what you wish for".

The word on the street is that the BSPAL have renamed this meeting "The British Open Championship". 
It went out on Twitter and Bartosz Zmarzlik has applied to take part.

Well i suppose with it being at Ippo they could run it as the old 16 lapper handicap and he would still win it by the country mile

2 minutes ago, cinderfella said:

Well i suppose with it being at Ippo they could run it as the old 16 lapper handicap and he would still win it by the country mile

Ah but. Woffy is talking about making the trip now".