British Speedway Forum
BOBBATH

Wally Loak

Is Wally still with us- I purchased a couple of his tapes of meetings years ago , but I guess his business was superseded by video. Anybody know??

6 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Is Wally still with us- I purchased a couple of his tapes of meetings years ago , but I guess his business was superseded by video. Anybody know??

I sent some cine film to Wally many years ago which he transferred onto a video tape. It's probably out there somewhere. Remember him referring to John Louis as "Lewis" in his commentary and his constant "Chase Chase Chase" which became somewhat repetitive after a while.

I used to have a Wally Loak taped recording of the 1967 West Ham v Coventry KOC final. It was facinating to hear Dave Lanning trying to calm down an irate Custom House crowd!

I had a tape of Wally Loake doing the 1972 World Final at Wembley.

I don't know what happened as regards Wally - or the Tape for that matter. :sad:

There's an interesting interview on utube between Wally and Ken McKinlay (who I hardly recognised!)

6 hours ago, cityrebel said:

I used to have a Wally Loak taped recording of the 1967 West Ham v Coventry KOC final. It was facinating to hear Dave Lanning trying to calm down an irate Custom House crowd!

Did you hear me in the crowd being irate?

3 hours ago, norbold said:

Was that you yelling, "Can you hear me, mother?"

5 hours ago, norbold said:

You were the loudest Norman!

• Like 1

I’ve got a Leicester v Coventry tape from the early 80’s knocking around somewhere.

I have a 1976 Highlights tape that I have downloaded but haven't listened to in years.

Just checked...it wasn't by Wally Loak but 'Tape o' Sport'...anybody remember them?

Edited by steve roberts

On 8/13/2020 at 1:45 AM, BOBBATH said:

I recall he set up a "dating" company (brackets as I am unsure of the exact nature of the business and not because of any dubious links to it ;)) with his wife which used to advertise in SS. Sadly she passed away in 2014 but Wally was still living in Bedford around 2 years ago and hopefully still is although unable to verify .