British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Most hated (respected) rider!!

Is Wally still with us- I purchased a couple of his tapes of meetings years ago , but I guess his business was superseded by video. Anybody know??

I think this may have got mixed up with my Wally Loak thread-but here goes. My most hated  but respected  (along with the Newport crowd) was Ivor Brown- he was the most hated visitor to Newport In Prov. League days-because he was so good, always smartly turned out-he would be booked for second halves just to get the crowd wound up. Hard rider indeed , but off track was the nicest and  most mild mannered gentleman. It was a dam shame when he got injured early in 1965. I always think of Ivor as the epitome of our wonderful sport- I can still see him in my mind's eye-what a great bloke. And a wonderful advert for speedway in his era.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

I think this may have got mixed up with my Wally Loak thread-but here goes. My most hated  but respected  (along with the Newport crowd) was Ivor Brown- he was the most hated visitor to Newport In Prov. League days-because he was so good, always smartly turned out-he would be booked for second halves just to get the crowd wound up. Hard rider indeed , but off track was the nicest and  most mild mannered gentleman. It was a dam shame when he got injured early in 1965. I always think of Ivor as the epitome of our wonderful sport- I can still see him in my mind's eye-what a great bloke. And a wonderful advert for speedway in his era.

I obviously never saw Ivor ride but what I do know about him was Ivan's hatred of him as a rider!

Andy Galvin rode for the Dons a few times as a young kid, but when he came back riding for Hackney he used to wind the crowd up something rotten. Great box office, though

• Like 2

16 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Sadly I didn't start going to Cradley until the end of the 1968 season, by which time Ivor was injured prior to his retirement. So I never got to see him ride.

I guess the major hate figure for any young Heathen at the start of the 70's was Ole. I suppose as a young kid we were very black and white so it was probably more hate than respect. Not only did he ride for Wolves, but he was bloody good. The local paper also never seemed to miss an opportunity to sing his praises, whilst our Bernie was never given the same plaudits - or so I felt at the time.

By the time the Penhall/Carter rivalry came around I was a bit older and never really bought into it. In fact I quite liked Kenny.

In later years I probably like to see riders like Pedersen and latterly Lindgren get their comeuppance, but that's a long way from hate.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Chadster said:

Andy Galvin rode for the Dons a few times as a young kid, but when he came back riding for Hackney he used to wind the crowd up something rotten. Great box office, though

I totally avoided mentioning Galvin! God, we had some moments with him, didn't we?

• Like 1

It was always Mauger for me. I hated his shenanigans at the starting gate, rolling backwards and forwards all the time. Although when i went with the great man on his farewell tour to Poland, i did feel a bit guilty!

2 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

It was always Mauger for me. I hated his shenanigans at the starting gate, rolling backwards and forwards all the time. Although when i went with the great man on his farewell tour to Poland, i did feel a bit guilty!

It was always Mauger and Olsen at Plough Lane, wasn't it?

2 minutes ago, chunky said:

It was always Mauger and Olsen at Plough Lane, wasn't it?

Yes it was. One of the highlights of my young speedway life, was watching Preben Rosenkilde beating Olsen at West Ham, i loved it!

6 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Yes it was. One of the highlights of my young speedway life, was watching Preben Rosenkilde beating Olsen at West Ham, i loved it!

'Benny' Rosenkilde who was brought into the Oxford side on the recommendation of Garry Middleton as a replacement for the ill-fated Svein Kaasa. Remember "Benny' at the starting gate at full revs with smoke pouring from his exhaust! Would have enjoyed watching him beat Olsen...one rider I disliked intensely!

I remember that I really disliked Charlie Monk....but, for the life of me, I can't remember why now!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, norbold said:

I remember that I really disliked Charlie Monk....but, for the life of me, I can't remember why now!

Because he wasn't from Liverpool???

• Like 1

I guess that I'm stating an obvious candidate in Steve "The Heave" Gresham although in an interview given in "Backtrack' some years ago painted a different picture and he came across as a decent bloke.

5 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I guess that I'm stating an obvious candidate in Steve "The Heave" Gresham although in an interview given in "Backtrack' some years ago painted a different picture and he came across as a decent bloke.

A lot of them are - it's just that some people are just a little more volatile at times!

1 hour ago, chunky said:

Because he wasn't from Liverpool???

It's a good theory, chunky, but I feel I must make an admission here and that is that I was never that keen on Peter Craven!